The Fashionista Files: Adventures in…

The Fashionista Files: Adventures in Four-Inch Heels and Faux Pas (2004)

by Karen Robinovitz

312357,052 (3)2

In L's room somewhere.
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
Fashionista Files is a fun and helpful book on the perils of fashion and how to shop in a way that will accommodate your lifestyle. I found there were particularly helpful tips such as shopping on a budget (go to Target and Army Navy stores), as well as other interesting information I hadn't known previously (good books and music fashionistas have at home). For those reasons I gave it three stars.

I do have to say, the love of brand names was rather heavy handed. I'm sure that is just me and how I was raised, but I felt this book would have been a lot better (and less of an amateur effort) if other aspects of fashion were examined-I felt too much relied on the authors personal experience (I'm sorry, but Juicy sweats are not the be-all-end-all of life).

I consider it a fashion 101 with some helpful tips that were nice to know. But for a true bible, get I Love Your Style-complete with hundreds of stunning photographs of fashionistas from different time periods and walks of life. ( )
  eightambliss | May 20, 2012 |

A fashionista is a girl who always looks current and cutting edge, even when her clothes are vintage 1975. A fashionista can tell her Pucci from her Gucci and her Blahniks from her Choos, but she’s as comfortable in Kmart as she is in Chanel. She wears what she likes and always looks fantastic. She’s a clothing chameleon: a sharp tweed suit and ladylike driving gloves one moment, a punk rock T-shirt and studded belt the next. She’s a gypsy, a princess, and a diva. She’s fashion-forward, shopping-addicted, and full of fun. And you can be her, no matter your size, style, or budget.
Authors Melissa de la Cruz and Karen Robinovitz are fashionistas who share a love for impractical shoes, small dogs that fit in designer handbags, and wearing white after Labor Day. They eat, sleep, and breathe fashion. And they’ll teach you how to

• Make a whole new wardrobe out of the awful duds that lurk in the back of your closet
• Use the words “postmodern” and “ironic” to fake your way through pseudo-intellectual cocktail conversation (really–it’s easy, and so postmodern and ironic!)
• Score big with chic and cheap finds at thrift stores, consignment shops, and discount designer outlets
• Live like a socialite on a shoestring budget

In two weeks or less, you’ll be living the lush life, from the brim of your Eugenia Kim fedora to the tip of your pointy Christian Louboutin pumps!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:33 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,018,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible