Candy and Me: A Girl's Tale of Life, Love,…

Candy and Me: A Girl's Tale of Life, Love, and Sugar

by Hilary Liftin

A life story punctuated by candy, or a candy story punctuated by life events--is there any difference between them? Liftin records every texture, every sensation, every experience in great detail, sharing her love for (or addiction to) any form of sugary sweet. From eating cups of powdered sugar with a spoon at seven years old to a marriage proposal in a package of Bottlecaps, candy has always been a part of Liftin's life--and she's willing to share it with you.

Very brief personal essays centered on candy. Nothing that's research-based (in fact, she talks about the terrible name of the Reese's FastBreak, but is apparently unaware of its much-improved Canadian identity, the Sidekick), but a very quick and engaging read all the same. Adding this to the 12th-grade booktalk list, because what's more exciting than candy? ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
Not surprisingly, this is a life told through the lens of candy. As a compulsive candy eater (I can't buy it for myself because I can't restrain myself from eating it all at once), it was a lovely little diversion. Lots of attention paid to the details, the precise sensations associated with each type of candy, the psychological aspects of candy eating and compulsion, etc. There's a bit of lip service paid to the fact that candy is not good for you, but really, every resource listed in the back is a candy shop or candy company website. Candy is a harsh mistress perhaps, but there's no question of giving her up anytime soon.More than anything, this book made me want a packet of peanut M&M's - to be sorted by color and then bitten carefully in half while keeping the peanut intact. Also some buttered popcorn Jelly Bellies. And a U.S. edition Mars bar (they've been gone for awhile but I just found out they're back!). And, weirdly, a few of those classic strawberry bon-bons. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.... ( )
  Knicke | Feb 18, 2011 |
Steve Almond did it better.

I like the structure of this book - it 's much more memoir and much less documentary - but nothing was fleshed out enough to make me feel anything more than a vague longing for Sky Bars and candy buttons, neither of which I'm actually very fond of. ( )
  MollyBethStrijkan | Apr 24, 2008 |
I love candy and I love this book. Hilary Liftin writes unabashedly about her rabid sweet tooth and her love for all things sugar coated. She effectively uses her changing tastes for and relationship with various candies as a lens through which to examine her life. Liftin is so honest and so entertainingly self-effacing that you can't help but like her. This book will make you nostalgic for candy you haven't had since you were a child and grateful for the sweetness that already exists in your life. ( )
  khuggard | Oct 3, 2007 |
Candy and Me is a delightful romp into the life of Hilary Liftin. She lives her live through different candy experiences. I liked this book, but I only gave it the rating I did was because her life wasn't that exciting. ( )
  WittyreaderLI | Apr 18, 2007 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743245733, Hardcover)

Hilary Liftin's Candy and Me (A Love Story) is not only a love story, but also the story of an otherwise normal, slender, strong-toothed woman's lifetime obsession with candy and all things sweet. With brutal honesty, Liftin exposes herself as insatiable. As a child she indulged in cups full of powdered sugar mixed with just enough water to make a paste which she ate in front of the TV, and multiple packs of hot chocolate mix, licked from her finger on her way home from school. She is a connoisseur of every candy you've ever tasted or even heard of, and of many candies you've never (and might never) come across. The friendships, love stories, and heartbreaks that make up her life story evolve through tales of candy consumption. Her memories of all major and minor life events are tightly woven with Necco Wafers, Snickers, Bottle Caps, Conversation Hearts, Circus Peanuts, Twizzler, Tootsie Rolls, Fireballs, Nonpareils, and countless others. Either you'll relate a little, or you'll relate a lot. You might be shocked by the volume of sugar she's ingested, but her story is familiar. She's made friends and lost them, she's fallen in love and had her heart broken. And then she's fallen in love again. Liftin's story is as sweet as her candy cache. --Leora Y. Bloom

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:39 -0400)

Candy and Me" is a delectable memoir for adult girls who thought Candyland was where they'd grow up and live and who wanted every day to be Easter and Halloween. It is for sugar addicts who don't hide their habit and for people with a sweet tooth and a nostalgia for the old favorites.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,693,715 books! | Top bar: Always visible