Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day…

Princess of the Midnight Ball (edition 2010)

by Jessica Day George

Member:dividedby5
Title:Princess of the Midnight Ball
Authors:Jessica Day George
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 304 pages

Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George

Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier (Jen7waters)
    Entwined by Heather Dixon (literarybuff)
    literarybuff: Both are takeoffs on the Twelve Dancing Princesses, and both involve 12 sisters who are passionate about dancing. Both have a little romantic twist, but nothing over-the-top. A great book for any lover of the fairy tales...
    Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Fantastic re-imagining of a traditional fairy tale with an engaging heroine.

I've always enjoyed the Grimms' story of The Twelve Dancing Princesses, and I found this novel to be a sweet and exciting retelling. From what I recall about the traditional tale, it seems to follow pretty soundly. The story moved along at a good adventure pace, but I would have liked to seen a bit more character development. Though, I did fall for Galen a little bit myself. He can shoot a musket and knit, maybe even at the same time. :) Princess of the Midnight Ball is the perfect "get away from it all", romantic read. ( )
  LauraT81 | Jun 5, 2014 |
This is a YA retelling of the folk tale of 'The Twelve Princesses', which is one of the Grimm fairytales with, of course, origins going further back.

The twelve princesses are all sisters, named for flowers. Their mother, Queen Maude of Westfallia (Germany), made a weighted bargain with the King Under Stone, in return for which she agreed to dance at his balls. When she died before managing to fulfill her end of the bargain, it fell to the young princesses to complete it. Though they wear out a pair of dancing shoes each every three nights and are exhausted, they are unable to tell anybody about their enchantment.

Galen, a young soldier returning from the recent war with Analousia (Spain), finds a job within the palace. On his journey home, in return for sharing his meagre rations, he was given a cloak to make him invisible, a ball of white wool and a ball of black wool, by a mysterious old crone. Can he use these and his native wit to defeat the nefarious plans of the King Under Stone and save the twelve dancing princesses - especially Rose?

I used to read a lot of fairytales when I was very young, and I vaguely remember this story too. Day George fills in the details in this book, which makes the characters more real for young readers.

A pleasant re-telling;very readable.

(LT recommended)

***3.5

humouress | Apr 19, 2014 |
Fairy tales seem to be extremely popular lately, and while I was skeptical of yet another retelling, this version of the 12 dancing princesses was surprisingly enjoyable. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Feb 24, 2014 |
This is the first of three books I read that retell the story of the Twelve Dancing Princess, first introduced by the Brothers Grimm in 1812.
Of the three, this one follows the original tale closest. The twelve princess are named for flowers (a common choice in retellings of this fable) and they are run from late teens to toddler. One of the reasons this tale is easy to retell without getting boring is the original never specifies why they dance - whether cursed, forced, choice or joy. This story chose cursed, a curse that twisted well with the hero, a solider, and the secondary plot of a country broken by war. The world-building, the war, the people, are loosely based on European society, but not enough that it loses it's magical quality.
The hero, Galen, has a depth the is pleasant to read. A solider who fought and lived through horrible events, but maintains a lightness, a humor, and a humility that makes him a wonderful character.
And the knitting! Galen knits, part of his appeal, and it becomes pivotal in the story. The author even includes a pattern in the back of the book!
The princess had less depth, aside from the oldest few, which is to be expected. It would be impossible to build detailed characters in a YA novel and have it be short enough. Rose, the main princess, was an endearing character, her pain, joy, loyalty to her sisters and concern for her country gave her a depth I enjoyed.
As for the love story, it was obvious, but still sweet and believable. Over all, this was a delightful retelling, one I would recommend. ( )
  empress8411 | Jan 27, 2014 |
Let me start off by saying normally I wouldn’t bother reading a rewrite of a fairy tale. I like originality and most of the time you do not find that in a revised story. I did however find “Princess of the Midnight Ball” to be interesting enough to try. Jessica Day George is an author that was completely off my radar until this book came to my attention, and I am apt to research and read more of her novels after having read her rewrite of “The Twelve Dancing Princesses”, originally a Brothers Grimm fairy tale in German.

Read the rest of the review here at Bookalicio.us ( )
  Bookaliciouspam | Sep 20, 2013 |
Fans of fairy-tale retellings will enjoy this story for its magic, humor, and touch of romance.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Beth L. Meister (Apr 1, 2009)

This is a well-realized and fastpaced fantasy-romance that will find favor among fans of fairy tales, feisty heroines, and dashing young men with strength, cunning, and sensitivity.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Heather Booth (Jan 1, 2009)

George takes another fairy tale, "The Twelve Dancing Princesses," and turns it into a rich and engaging novel.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus Reviews (Jan 1, 2009)

For Jenn

Finally
Because he had once been human, King Under Stone sometimes found himself plagued by human emotions.

In this retelling of the fairy tale The Twelve Dancing Princesses, the young soldier Galen comes to the capital of Westfalin to serve as a gardener. Amid suspicions of witchcraft, it is revealed that the twelve daughters of the king wears out their slippers every night dancing. After several princes fail to learn the secret, Galen is given the opportunity to try and solve the mystery.

A retelling of the tale of twelve princesses who wear out their shoes dancing every night, and of Galen, a former soldier now working in the king's gardens, who follows them in hopes of breaking the curse.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,478,251 books! | Top bar: Always visible