Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day…

Princess of the Midnight Ball (edition 2010)

by Jessica Day George

Member:dividedby5
Title:Princess of the Midnight Ball
Authors:Jessica Day George
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 304 pages

Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George

Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier (Jen7waters)
    Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Fantastic re-imagining of a traditional fairy tale with an engaging heroine.

Super charming retelling of the fairy tale of the Twelve Dancing Princesses. Galen is on his way home from the recently ended war when he comes across an old woman. He helps her, and in return she gifts him with an invisibility cloak. Bemused, he continues on his way to the capital, where he finds a job as gardener in the palace gardens. The princesses there are under a mysterious curse, and out of friendship and worry for the eldest princess Galen pledges to break it.

And he does! With knitting and thoughtfulness and even some splendid riflework. I really liked Galen, and I liked the princesses too--although there are twelve of them, a number of them stood out as unique and memorable characters, especially Rose and Poppy. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
This book is your typical fairy tale—evil sorcerers, beautiful princesses, dashing gardeners, little character development, everything works out perfectly for the happily ever after, etc. It's not the type of book I would read if I wanted to stimulate my mind and expand my horizon; it's the type of book I would read when my mind needs a rest and somewhere to escape to. So, yes, I really enjoyed this book. The story flows smoothly, the characters are interesting and relatable, and it was a very non-stressful read. I didn't have to worry about Galen or any of the princesses dying because in fairy-tale land, the good guys are always safe. Yet, the book contained enough intrigue to keep me interested. Everything you could want and expect in a good fairy tale is here, which is why I enjoyed this book. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 3, 2016 |
I have read a few other books that were a retelling of the same story. Personally I thought the book Entwined was a better version of this story, but this was definitely a faster read. ( )
  PrescottKris | Jan 26, 2015 |
I am a longtime fan of fairy tale retellings and quite enjoyed this one, based on the story of the twelve dancing princesses. It was light and readable and entertaining, with likable characters and enough questions and plotsiness to keep me engaged and reading.

I suspect that the cover and title may dissuade some readers who may expect this to be a (for lack of a better word) "girly" book. Personally, I suspect this story would appeal to a wide range of kid readers. Much of the story (the most interesting part, in my opinion) is actually told from the point of view of young under-gardener and former soldier Galen. Galen was the highlight of the book for me: upstanding, clever, brave, kind, and still interesting. Also, he knits! How great is that?
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
I've always enjoyed the Grimms' story of The Twelve Dancing Princesses, and I found this novel to be a sweet and exciting retelling. From what I recall about the traditional tale, it seems to follow pretty soundly. The story moved along at a good adventure pace, but I would have liked to seen a bit more character development. Though, I did fall for Galen a little bit myself. He can shoot a musket and knit, maybe even at the same time. :) Princess of the Midnight Ball is the perfect "get away from it all", romantic read. ( )
  LauraT81 | Jun 5, 2014 |
Fans of fairy-tale retellings will enjoy this story for its magic, humor, and touch of romance.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Beth L. Meister (Apr 1, 2009)

This is a well-realized and fastpaced fantasy-romance that will find favor among fans of fairy tales, feisty heroines, and dashing young men with strength, cunning, and sensitivity.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Heather Booth (Jan 1, 2009)

George takes another fairy tale, "The Twelve Dancing Princesses," and turns it into a rich and engaging novel.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus Reviews (Jan 1, 2009)

For Jenn

Finally
Because he had once been human, King Under Stone sometimes found himself plagued by human emotions.

In this retelling of the fairy tale The Twelve Dancing Princesses, the young soldier Galen comes to the capital of Westfalin to serve as a gardener. Amid suspicions of witchcraft, it is revealed that the twelve daughters of the king wears out their slippers every night dancing. After several princes fail to learn the secret, Galen is given the opportunity to try and solve the mystery.

A retelling of the tale of twelve princesses who wear out their shoes dancing every night, and of Galen, a former soldier now working in the king's gardens, who follows them in hopes of breaking the curse.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible