Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day…

Princess of the Midnight Ball (edition 2010)

by Jessica Day George

Member:dividedby5
Title:Princess of the Midnight Ball
Authors:Jessica Day George
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 304 pages

Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George

Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier (Jen7waters)
    Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Fantastic re-imagining of a traditional fairy tale with an engaging heroine.

I have read a few other books that were a retelling of the same story. Personally I thought the book Entwined was a better version of this story, but this was definitely a faster read. ( )
  PrescottKris | Jan 26, 2015 |
I am a longtime fan of fairy tale retellings and quite enjoyed this one, based on the story of the twelve dancing princesses. It was light and readable and entertaining, with likable characters and enough questions and plotsiness to keep me engaged and reading.

I suspect that the cover and title may dissuade some readers who may expect this to be a (for lack of a better word) "girly" book. Personally, I suspect this story would appeal to a wide range of kid readers. Much of the story (the most interesting part, in my opinion) is actually told from the point of view of young under-gardener and former soldier Galen. Galen was the highlight of the book for me: upstanding, clever, brave, kind, and still interesting. Also, he knits! How great is that?
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
I've always enjoyed the Grimms' story of The Twelve Dancing Princesses, and I found this novel to be a sweet and exciting retelling. From what I recall about the traditional tale, it seems to follow pretty soundly. The story moved along at a good adventure pace, but I would have liked to seen a bit more character development. Though, I did fall for Galen a little bit myself. He can shoot a musket and knit, maybe even at the same time. :) Princess of the Midnight Ball is the perfect "get away from it all", romantic read. ( )
  LauraT81 | Jun 5, 2014 |
This is a YA retelling of the folk tale of 'The Twelve Princesses', which is one of the Grimm fairytales with, of course, origins going further back.

The twelve princesses are all sisters, named for flowers. Their mother, Queen Maude of Westfallia (Germany), made a weighted bargain with the King Under Stone, in return for which she agreed to dance at his balls. When she died before managing to fulfill her end of the bargain, it fell to the young princesses to complete it. Though they wear out a pair of dancing shoes each every three nights and are exhausted, they are unable to tell anybody about their enchantment.

Galen, a young soldier returning from the recent war with Analousia (Spain), finds a job within the palace. On his journey home, in return for sharing his meagre rations, he was given a cloak to make him invisible, a ball of white wool and a ball of black wool, by a mysterious old crone. Can he use these and his native wit to defeat the nefarious plans of the King Under Stone and save the twelve dancing princesses - especially Rose?

I used to read a lot of fairytales when I was very young, and I vaguely remember this story too. Day George fills in the details in this book, which makes the characters more real for young readers.

A pleasant re-telling;very readable.

(LT recommended)

***3.5

humouress | Apr 19, 2014 |
Fairy tales seem to be extremely popular lately, and while I was skeptical of yet another retelling, this version of the 12 dancing princesses was surprisingly enjoyable. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Feb 24, 2014 |
Fans of fairy-tale retellings will enjoy this story for its magic, humor, and touch of romance.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Beth L. Meister (Apr 1, 2009)

This is a well-realized and fastpaced fantasy-romance that will find favor among fans of fairy tales, feisty heroines, and dashing young men with strength, cunning, and sensitivity.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Heather Booth (Jan 1, 2009)

George takes another fairy tale, "The Twelve Dancing Princesses," and turns it into a rich and engaging novel.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus Reviews (Jan 1, 2009)

For Jenn

Finally
Because he had once been human, King Under Stone sometimes found himself plagued by human emotions.

In this retelling of the fairy tale The Twelve Dancing Princesses, the young soldier Galen comes to the capital of Westfalin to serve as a gardener. Amid suspicions of witchcraft, it is revealed that the twelve daughters of the king wears out their slippers every night dancing. After several princes fail to learn the secret, Galen is given the opportunity to try and solve the mystery.

A retelling of the tale of twelve princesses who wear out their shoes dancing every night, and of Galen, a former soldier now working in the king's gardens, who follows them in hopes of breaking the curse.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,713,566 books! | Top bar: Always visible