Undone: A Novel by Karin Slaughter

Undone: A Novel (original 2011; edition 2010)

by Karin Slaughter

1,047668,137 (3.98)1 / 35
Member:CKVan
Title:Undone: A Novel
Authors:Karin Slaughter
Info:
Rating:***

Undone by Karin Slaughter (2011)

Recently added byprivate library, RettaRyan, SueDurham, MLRALibrary, LoriGross82, NEC_Walker, Tenb

English (63)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (68)
This is book #3 in Karin Slaughter's series about GBI (Georgia Bureau of Investigation) Agent Will Trent. As some others have already mentioned, it's certainly not necessary to have read the first two, but it would be helpful. I wanted to read these books in order, though I don't always do that. In my opinion, the first book in the series, Triptych was THE best one. I know that as of this writing there are a total of 5 in the Will Trent series. I'm not sure if I can do two more installments. I enjoyed this book; it wasn't bad, but it just wasn't AS good as the previous two. If this had been my first exposure to Karin, I would totally have given it five stars. But much of her appeal that hooked me in the first 2 books has started to wear me down.

This topic of this book is a bit gruesome and very descriptive as we were introduced to the brutal torture of several women who went missing. At first we're not certain if they abductions are related. Not only that, much of what they do know wasn't helpful and they kept going round and round in circles with the same clues. What made this a hard case was the fact that the women, though successful and well-off financially, didn't have many friends or family who cared if they were missing, Agent Trent is joined by his partner, Faith Mitchell (who became his partner in the previous book). In this book, Faith is dealing with some health issues, which not only affect her personally, they also threaten to ruin her working relationship with Will. Will, unfortunately, has dyslexia and is functionally illiterate on top of the fact that he's a bit strange/weird, but in a really nice way. He definitely doesn't fit the cop/agent stereotype. Ms. Slaughter made his issues much more pronounced in this book, compared to the first two. I'm honestly a bit tired of this particular issue and I'm beginning to wonder why he hasn't lost his job. He is also in a very, very dysfunctional relationship/marriage that continues to be a major weakness for him. I don't even want to spend any time on that subject. Not only that, he's a product of the state system, having been an abused orphan in a children's home his entire childhood. Those issues continue to haunt him, pretty much daily.

Add all of this to his very tenuous relationship with his boss (who berates him for being an 'idiot', but praises him at the same time because his instincts are so good) and we realize that the book is really more about everyone's personal issues. This book is the opposite of Triptych...where the first book focused almost 90% on the crime and the criminal, this one focuses more on the agents and their issues, not the solving of the crime. It made for a slow moving book towards the middle because you just wanted her to get on with it already! Also in this book is an ER doc named Sara who is a character from Ms. Slaughter's Grant county series. Sara became involved because one of the tortured women was brought into the ER while Sara was on duty. Sara's issues stem from having lost her cop husband in a really awful death...she hasn't completely healed or gotten over it. She left her life that she shared with him in Grant County (as a coroner and a pediatrician) so she could get a fresh start and forget about the grief. she interjects herself into the case and ends up being helpful providing little clues along the way. BUT, again. way too many personal issues. so very distracting.

The one thing I really like about Ms. Slaughter, is her ability to dissect an issue, causing you to get caught up in every detail, not realizing that she's taking you down a different path than the one you started on. She is so good at misdirection! In some cases, that would be an awesome attribute when it's about the crime. but not with this book. That attribute is what made Triptych a fast-moving and interesting read. But in Undone, I actually skipped a few pages because at one point Sara went on and on for several pages about what she liked about her deceased husband and how he made her feel and how perfect he was and how her life has changed and how she did this and that and this and that. Meanwhile, we've got two women tied up somewhere in a dark basement and it took Ms. Slaughter FOREVER to get back to them!

This book didn't need to be over 400 pages. But because she veered off and gave us way too much meandering, unnecessary text, we had to wade through pages and pages of fluff that didn't affect the outcome of the book at all. All it did was make me a bit reluctant to read books 4 and 5 in this series. Does Will every take care of his reading issues? Will Faith stop being so bossy and bitchy and finally get her life together?? Will Sara MOVE on with her life? Does Will finally kick his sleezy, slutty, user of a wife to the curb? WAY too much soap opera stuff and I'm scared to get caught up in the next two books if that's all it's going to be about. I'm not sure why this book was rated higher than Triptych. I think I'll take a break from Ms. Slaughter for a while. If you want to read a good one, get Triptych, #1 in the Will Trent series. Everything she writes after that just becomes bland. ( )
  louisianagirl91 | Sep 20, 2014 |

louisianagirl91 | Sep 20, 2014 |
GBI Special Agents Will Trent and Faith Mitchell finally meet up with Dr Sara Linton, combining the two series together for the first time. And what the perp is doing this time is utterly gruesome. It may be difficult for some to read about what the victims have been through.

The story starts when an elderly couple hit a woman who suddenly appears before their car on a dark road. She’s naked and she’d been tortured – and she’s not the only victim they end up scrambling to find.

The author shakes things up by giving us victims that we don’t necessarily like, Faith is facing some medical changes in her life and Will is, as always, putting himself down as not being good enough due to his dyslexia. It doesn’t help that Faith is helping him too much on that end. But now that he’s met Sara, perhaps he’ll stop being so hard on himself. We do finally see him lose control.

It takes the team awhile to find a common thread between the victims, other than physical appearance. And even though, when learning about the personality of the victims, we’re still caught up in finding them and reuniting them with their children.

Other than the early gruesome aspects, I found the book to be an easy and interesting read. A number of the characters will surprise you. ( )
1 vote dearheart | Jul 27, 2014 |
An elderly couple drives on the high way, when they see a deer running across the road. They hit it, and they stop to check if the deer is okay. It appears that it isn't a deer, but a women. She has a lot of bruises and the ambulance comes to get her. In the hospital, they find out her 11th rib is missing. Near the place the woman was hit, they find a hole underground. There's a bed at it's clear that a person was held there. What happened? Who was held there and are there more victims?

I thought it was a really good book. A thriller that ''makes my toes curl'' as we say it in Holland. It was creepy, and I didn't find out who did it until 3/4th of the book. It was great, 4.5 stars! ( )
1 vote MarjoleinL | Feb 14, 2014 |
This was great, but it's the second of three books in the series to hinge the mystery on an unreliable third person perspective. Unreliable narrators are a pet peeve of mine because they're easy to spot and that destroys the mystery. Oh well. Still good. ( )
1 vote KateBond | Sep 20, 2013 |

Karin Slaughterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baar, Marry vanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lenting, InekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ross, NatalieReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sørensen, Henrik EnemarkTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my readers...
thank you for trusting me.
They had been married forty years to the day and Judith still felt like she didn't know everything about her husband. (Prologue)
Sara Linton leaned back in her chair, mumbling a soft "Yes, Mama" into her cell phone. (Chapter One)
Undone is also published under the title Genesis.

From Amazon.com Hardcover description:

In the trauma center of Atlanta’s busiest hospital, Sara Linton treats the city’s poor, wounded, and unlucky—and finds refuge from the tragedy that rocked her life in rural Grant County. Then, in one instant, Sara is thrust into a frantic police investigation, coming face-to-face with a tall driven detective and his quiet female partner…. In Undone, three unforgettable characters from Karin Slaughter’s New York Times bestselling novels Faithless and Fractured collide for the first time, entering an electrifying race against the clock—and a duel with unspeakable human evil.

In the backwoods of suburban Atlanta, where Sara’s patient was found, local police have set up their investigation. But Georgia Bureau of Investigation detective Will Trent doesn’t wait for the go-ahead from his boss—he plunges through police lines, through the brooding woods, and single-handedly exposes a hidden house of horror buried beneath the earth. Then he finds another victim.…

Wresting the case away from the local police chief, Will and his partner, Faith Mitchell—a woman keeping explosive secrets of her own—are called into a related investigation. Another woman—a smart, upscale, independent young mother—has been snatched. For the two cops out on the hunt, for the doctor trying to bring her patient back to life, the truth hits like a hammer: the killer’s torture chamber has been found, but the killer is still at work.

Fleeing to Atlanta to seek refuge in the aftermath of a violent act, Sara Linton becomes unwittingly enmeshed in a case involving a tortured young ER patient, a situation that is investigated by special agents Will Trent and Faith Mitchell.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Undone by Karin Slaughter was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,354,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible