White Socks Only (AV2 Fiction Readalong) by…

White Socks Only (AV2 Fiction Readalong)

by Evelyn Coleman

I found "White Socks Only" a very interesting and powerful story. The first thing I noticed about this book is that it could be a great mirror for children who speak in African American English Vernacular, since one of the characters in the book speaks in that way. I've learned that there are not many children's books out there which display this, so I think this could be a great book for children who may feel self-conscious in the way the speak. I also enjoyed reading this book because I loved the main character. She is a very curious and innocent child, which I think is very endearing to readers. Lastly, I think the message is the most important part of the book. In the story, the main character drinks from a water fountain with a sign that says "whites only" because she doesn't know any better. She should have gotten in a lot of trouble, but members of her community band together to protect her from getting punished. I loved reading this because it gave me such a great sense of community. I think the main message of this book is that were all human, and it is important to look out for each other, even when if you don't know someone personally.
  cwolfa1 | Mar 1, 2018 |
This story shows the innocence of a child during a time of hatred. Going for a drink of water and being stopped because of the color of her skin. Almost coming to violence, the little girl did not understand what she had done wrong. The book uses total honesty of a time that happened. This book also shows a community coming together to stand up for themselves because they know something is wrong. A small gesture can make a big impact. The water color illustrations are powerful and bring the words to life. They give a great picture to imagine as to what is happening.
  rmajeau | Dec 1, 2017 |
I enjoyed this book for many different reasons. The language used in the book was one of the first things I noticed, and I feel it helps you to understand the time we are reading about. For example, her grandmother says, "You know you ain't big enough to walk in no town alone girl." This informal language can be confusing, but it also helps to add emotion to the story which makes it more relatable. I also really enjoyed the illustrations throughout the book. They were brightly colored and mostly realistic which went along with the story very well. Overall, I think this book has an excellent story and can be read by most anyone. If I had to recommend it to a particular age group, it would probably be for a 4th or 5th grader because the informal language can confuse younger readers. ( )
  epugli2 | Mar 27, 2017 |
The author's and illustrator's wording and illustrations throughout the book show the innocence of the young girl's mind, such as her interpretation of the "whites only" sign. The author does a wonderful job of showing the difference between the minds of young people and older people during this time of segregation. I loved how the author used the young girl's innocence to encourage many individuals to stand up for what they believe and used it to help make a difference in the unfair laws. ( )
  AshleyJarrard | Oct 10, 2016 |
This book is so touching! The honesty of this story is necessary for children to start to understand how things used to be, and how we never want things to be that way again. The message it sends out is to be yourself and then good things will come your way. All the little innocent girl wanted was a drink of water. She had no idea she was getting herself into trouble. The sign reading "Whites Only" didn't click in her mind as a form of discrimination. Kids don't see each other by race, but rather as people. If more people had the mindset of children, we might just be able to get along a little better.

Overall, this book is very accurate by giving children true information of our past society. Children need to learn the truth and the feelings of each and every individual towards making sure our future is bright. The illustrations were great, giving readers a chance to visually see what bathrooms, water fountains, schools, and buses used to look like. ( )
  mwatki5 | Oct 5, 2016 |

Grandma tells the story about her first trip alone into town during the days when segregation still existed in Mississippi.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,231,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible