White Socks Only (AV2 Fiction Readalong) by…

White Socks Only (AV2 Fiction Readalong)

by Evelyn Coleman

White Socks Only is a historical fiction story told from the viewpoint of a grandmother sharing her experience growing up in the deep south during the Jim Crow time period. The story begins with a young girl talking with her grandmother. Then, the grandmother tells a story about the first time she went into town. The grandmother talks about when she was a young girl and thoughts she could drink from a fountain marked "Whites Only" because she was wearing her white socks. This book would be a good read for second grade teachers and up, to discuss historical narratives and cultural changes over time. This book allows students to see the hatred that was faced during this time period through the eyes of a child. This book also discusses the coming together of a community to protect one of its own members. ( )
  tatalai | Apr 21, 2019 |
What a way to show how a child sees things differently then everyone else. A great story of overcoming and starting a movement even if they didn't realize what they did. It shows that children are innocent no matter the skin color or culture. I did not like the white man whipping the blacks who drank from the fountain, I thought that was a little much for the time this is being told in. Otherwise it was a great story for children to understand that time and know that children can see the world differently and innocently. ( )
  Ashley.Miller | Oct 8, 2018 |
While reading White Socks Only, there were a lot of ideas and concepts that were going through my mind, and because of that, I really enjoyed reading this book. As a future teacher, we are teaching the youth, however we are always learning as well. As I read this book, I learned a lot and that is why I loved reading this book. For example, the main character, a young African American girl, walked into town to use a water fountain that had a sign on it that said “whites only,” and she thought she could use this water fountain because she had white socks on. Although it is portrayed as a young girl misunderstanding the meaning of the sign, it also shows racial and ethical issues in the world and how they are unfortunately still present today. Children can not just be expected to understand all of the issues that are going on in today’s society without being taught. Another reason I liked this book is because of all the symbolism that is portrayed throughout the book. For example, the little girl, the main character, is from way outside the city in a more rural part. The reason this is relevant is because it shows that because she is not from the city and does not spend time in the city, she is unaware of the issues that happen in the city. The book has a lot of great messages behind it that can be used for teachers who need to teach racial and ethical issues in their classrooms and I definitely recommend it for teachers to use in their classroom. ( )
  Fowler246 | Sep 18, 2018 |
In my opinion, this book was okay. I think the book sent a good message, but it wasn't very enjoyable. The little girl in the beginning asked her grandmother a question. In which, her grandmother proceeded to tell her a story from her childhood. The grandmother spoke in African American English Vernacular, which I thought was a nice touch and set the tone for the story. Most books don't contain this type of dialect. As the story was told it depicted the cruel and mistreatment blacks dealt with at one point in time. The story takes place in Mississippi where slavery was a huge issue back then. When the grandmother was a little girl she drank from an "whites only" water fountain. Instead of allowing the girl to get in trouble, other black citizens followed her lead and took a sip from the same fountain. They were then beaten by a white man for doing so. This book allows students to see the hatred that blacks faced during this time period through the eyes of an innocent child, but it also showed how a community must stick together to make a change. The other black citizens protected the innocent girl by standing by her when she made a mistake. This resulted in a positive outcome, the sign no longer existed after that day. ( )
  nervin1 | Sep 9, 2018 |
I found "White Socks Only" a very interesting and powerful story. The first thing I noticed about this book is that it could be a great mirror for children who speak in African American English Vernacular, since one of the characters in the book speaks in that way. I've learned that there are not many children's books out there which display this, so I think this could be a great book for children who may feel self-conscious in the way the speak. I also enjoyed reading this book because I loved the main character. She is a very curious and innocent child, which I think is very endearing to readers. Lastly, I think the message is the most important part of the book. In the story, the main character drinks from a water fountain with a sign that says "whites only" because she doesn't know any better. She should have gotten in a lot of trouble, but members of her community band together to protect her from getting punished. I loved reading this because it gave me such a great sense of community. I think the main message of this book is that were all human, and it is important to look out for each other, even when if you don't know someone personally.
  cwolfa1 | Mar 1, 2018 |

Grandma tells the story about her first trip alone into town during the days when segregation still existed in Mississippi.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,612,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible