Breathless by Lurlene McDaniel

Breathless

by Lurlene McDaniel

124None96,677 (3.67)1

Very much a sad book...You have to be prepared to have your heart break! ( )
  BridgetsBookNook | Feb 6, 2014 |
Travis, a champion diver and one of the star athletes at school, is hanging out with his best friends on the first day of summer vacation. The cliffs over the lake call to him, and he climbs up to dive from them, only to hear his leg snap when he jumps. Days later, he's still in the hospital, facing amputation due to osteosarcoma, and he knows he'll never get back to the life he had. His parents, sister, best friend, and girlfriend all want what's best for Travis, but Travis' parents' opinion of what's best is the opposite of what Travis wants. Travis' only hope is that his friends will help him with his final wishes.

I read so many of McDaniel's books when I was a kid/teenager, so I was pleased to see this inside the review envelope. It was everything I wanted it to be--a bit predictable, a bit melodramatic, and I don't mean these as negatives. It's been a long time since I've read one of her books, so I don't know how much new ground this one is treading, but she does handle the subject very sensitively, so readers can really understand where Travis' decisions are coming from. There's one spot with a weird jump of almost a year and a half that's just summed up as, basically, "oh, hey, it's a year and a half later and now this this happening," which is a little clunky but serves the plot well--we don't need to know what, specifically, happened in there, just that Travis has been dealing with this for a long time. This is McDaniel's standard mix of bleak but hopeful--there's something empowering here about this 17-year-old making his own decisions about what's best for him. This is a sensitive book on a delicate topic. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
Seventeen year-old Travis Morrison’s life is drastically altered after he breaks his leg cliff jumping. A champion diver, Travis convinces himself he will heal in time for swim season. But, his perspective on healing and life quickly change after he learns that he has an aggressive form of bone cancer that result in his leg being amputated. After coming to terms with the loss of his leg and failed rounds of chemotherapy, Travis’s prognosis for survival is slim. As he finds peace in his inventible death, his closest friends and family struggle to see his desire to die with dignity. Cooper (his outcast best friend), Emily (his God-fearing sister) and Darla (his beautiful girlfriend) learn about having dreams in a small town, themselves, loyalty and each other as they watch Travis deteriorate. McDaniel writes in such way that unveils a variety of emotions, perceptions, opinions and stances surrounding the topic of euthanasia. The alternating points of view of the four main characters add interest to a story that otherwise might be mediocre. With that said, this quick read, will provoke one to think about the ethics and morals behind having the choice to die.

Age Appropriate: 9th Grade and Up

This book deals with a sensitive topic and I would caution readers who have recently lost a close friend and/or family member to terminal illness.

The book would be good for a reluctant reader because of the fast moving storyline and controversial topic. ( )
  erineell | Feb 19, 2012 |
I read this book because it was recommended to me by a friend. After reading this book I would also recommend it. I enjoyed the suspense in this book and how you were never really sure what would happen next. I enjoyed how there was a sense of romance in the book between the main characters sister and best friend and also with the main character and his girl friend. There is a lot of uncertainty and not knowing what will come next in this book and I enjoy books like that. In this book the character has to deal with being diagnosed with cancer and have to get his leg amputated. He was a very good athlete before his diagnoses. He was an amazing swimmer and diver. He has to deal with the affects of the cancer and his life and the affects cancer has on everyone around him. As he gets worse he makes a decision and asks his friend to do something for him that most people would not consider. I really enjoyed this book and I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading books about romance and controversy. This book would also be good for someone who likes books with illness and injury and how that affects the life of the patient and everyone in their life. It is also a good book for those who like to read about medical problems and cancer. In this book everyone in it must come to terms with their relationship with the main character and how they would feel if some day he was gone. I would not recommend this book for people who don’t like to read books about death and the end of life. I don’t think that you will regret reading this book and that is why I so highly recommend it.
  Berglundlauren | Dec 8, 2011 |
I read this book because it was recommended to me by a friend. After reading this book I would also recommend it. I enjoyed the suspense in this book and how you were never really sure what would happen next. I enjoyed how there was a sense of romance in the book between the main characters sister and best friend and also with the main character and his girl friend. There is a lot of uncertainty and not knowing what will come next in this book and I enjoy books like that. In this book the character has to deal with being with diagnoses cancer and have to get his leg amputated. He was a very good athlete before his diagnoses. He was an amazing swimmer and diver, He has to deal with the affects of the cancer and his life and the affects cancer has on everyone around him. As he gets worse he makes a decision and asks his friend to do something for him that most people would not consider. I really enjoyed this book and I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading books about romance and controversy. This book would also be good for someone who likes books with illness and injury and how that affects the life of the patient and everyone on their life. This book would also be can be for people who like to read books about death and the end of life. It is also a good book for those who like to read about medical problems and cancer. In this book everyone in it must come to terms with their relationship with the main character and how they would feel if some day he was gone. I don’t think that you will regret reading this book I am sure I did not and that is why I so highly recommend it.
  laurenberglund | Dec 5, 2011 |
Most people believe they have a clear idea of what's right or wrong.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038573459X, Hardcover)

What is the toughest request anyone can be asked to fulfill?

Travis Morrison is a champion diver and one of the most popular kids at school. On the first day of summer vacation, while boating on the lake with his friends, Travis attempts a silly stunt dive that goes wrong. He fears he has broken his leg. Instead, his trip to the hospital reveals he has a rare form of cancer, and to save him, the doctors tell his parents they must amputate. In an instant, Travis’s life and the lives of everyone around him are forever changed.

Travis is determined that he and only he should decide the course of his life. He has a plan, but he can’t carry it out alone. Will he convince one of his friends to fulfill his most important request?

Lurlene McDaniel tackles a controversial subject, probing the issues of personal choice and quality of life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:17 -0400)

A high school diving champion develops bone cancer in this story told from the points of view of the diver, his best friend, his sister, and his girlfriend.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,422,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible