The Comet's Curse: A Galahad Book by…

The Comet's Curse: A Galahad Book

by Dom Testa

Series: Galahad (1)

The Web of Titan: A Galahad Book by Dom Testa (skstiles612)
    skstiles612: This is the continuation of the Galahad series and is great if you like science fiction and the unknown

I loved the adventure and action.it was cool how they stiched the story of every chapter from the past and then to the present.The Roc was funnny:) ( )
  tanya.pappas | Aug 12, 2013 |
Eh. I liked the premise more than anything else about this book - a worldwide meteor-borne virus attacks adults so they send 251 teenagers (16 and under) into space to colonize (oops, was I supposed to notice that?) some other planet and "save the human race." Again I have to wonder why every single YA science fiction book has to have a straight romance tacked on. I mean, I don't have to wonder; I just have to read Publishers Weekly; that's what publishing houses are buying I guess. Wait! I also liked that the teen captain of the ship was a girl. That was pretty cool. And that the publishing house had the good sense to show a character of color on the jacket. There are going to be sequels, and I might consider reading them, if only because I like an ensemble cast of characters on an adventure. But I might not, because I dislike cheesy villians (as I imagine many actually-young adults also do). ( )
  anderlawlor | Apr 9, 2013 |
100 pages in and I just feel no drive to complete The Comet's Curse. I concede that the concept is neat, but something about the writing style and pace keeps me from feeling invested in the story or characters. ( )
  Kewpie83 | Apr 3, 2013 |
  Kewpie83 | Apr 3, 2013 |
The story is told from the point of view of the super advanced computer, nicknamed Roc. This storytelling device really didn't work for me. For one thing, he (I know he's an it, but whatevs) wasn't present for everything he describes, which can be explained by people having told him later but would have worked better in a normal omniscient narrator scenario (especially since Roc makes sure to point out that he can't be everywhere and see everything). The other problem with Roc is that, much as all the characters love him and as much as he adores himself, I find him exceedingly irritating. His insertions into the narration, denoted by italics, always made me want to punch his computery face, especially the one in the last chapter.

Roc aside, the book was fairly predictable and standard. There's a love triangle, which, frankly, is the most absorbing part of the plot. The mystery of who is causing trouble on the ship is so obvious for most of the book that it provides little excitement. And, the final showdown cannot be that worrisome if you know there are two subsequent books. The writing is okay, but not inspirational

The most interesting aspect of the novel is the set up of the dystopia. There aren't too many environmental ones, which I am somewhat glad of after having read Life as We Knew It (shudder!). You have probably figured out how much I love dystopias by now, especially if they cover some new territory.

I recommend this to fans of Life as We Knew It and Gone (which I actually have yet to read, but I'm fairly confident that they're readalikes), young teens looking for an easy science fiction read or dystopia enthusiasts. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Apr 1, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765360772, Mass Market Paperback)

When the tail of the comet Bhaktul flicks through the Earth’s atmosphere, deadly particles are left in its wake. Suddenly, mankind is confronted with a virus that devastates the adult population. Only those under the age of eighteen seem to be immune. Desperate to save humanity, a renowned scientist proposes a bold plan: to create a ship that will carry a crew of 251 teenagers to a home in a distant solar system. Two years later, the Galahad and its crew—none over the age of sixteen—is launched.

Two years of training have prepared the crew for the challenges of space travel. But soon after departing Earth, they discover that a saboteur is hiding on the Galahad! Faced with escalating acts of vandalism and terrorized by threatening messages, sixteen-year-old Triana Martell and her council soon realize that the stowaway will do anything to ensure that the Galahad never reaches its destination. The teens must find a way to neutralize their enemy. For if their mission fails, it will mean the end of the human race….

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:40 -0400)

Desperate to save the human race after a comet's deadly particles devastate the adult population, scientists create a ship that will carry a crew of 251 teenagers to a home in a distant solar system.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,989,319 books! | Top bar: Always visible