Plain Jane: A Novel of Jane Seymour (Tudor…

Plain Jane: A Novel of Jane Seymour (Tudor Women Series) (2006)

by Laurien Gardner

199559,063 (3.65)11

Strange that there is almost no reference to the religious controversy at the time. The one reference is when Jane receives a request to intervene with the king regarding dismantling of the nunneries -- and even there, the reader would have to fill in the context.
  sandy64 | Jul 17, 2014 |
Plain Jane, written by Laurien Gardner, is a rare view at Jane Seymour, third wife of Henry VIII. She isn't a beauty in the traditional sense like Anne Boleyn. Gardner present Seymour as a woman with an inner beauty determined not to be beheaded or be set aside as her predecessors were. Although Jane is one of the lesser-known wives, she is important in that she was the only wife to successfully bring a son, an heir, to the monarchy. Gardner brings us a story that gives Jane substance and gives the reader appreciation for this little-known queen. She is quiet, obedient, and faithful. She does stand up to the king, but in a quiet way unlike her predecessors. Jane's death, so soon after Edward is born, is treated with empathy and is given a dignity that Jane so richly deserves. Well done, Laurien Gardner.
  sara.edens | May 4, 2012 |
Like all of Gardner's Tudor novels, this is historical fiction light. I read it in about a day. She creates a fairly interesting character for Jane, the queen about whom we know the least, but I can't say that I learned anything new. It was the kind of novel I read when I don't want to have to concentrate too hard. ( )
  Cariola | May 17, 2009 |
I thought it was a novelty to read a book about Jane Seymour -- of all of Henry's wives, perhaps excepting Anne of Cleves, Jane is the least written about. This novel was reasonably well done and historically accurate. I think it could have been better, however. It was extremely repetitious. Several times in every chapter it was noted that Jane was plain, Jane lacked beauty, Jane had buggy eyes, no man could ever be attracted to Jane. It got old. And Jane herself was a little too clueless to be credible. She practically Forrest Gumped her way onto the throne. I highly doubt it worked out that way in real life. ( )
  meggyweg | Mar 6, 2009 |
Well written story of plain Jane Seymour who was doomed to be loved by no one, yet ended up with the love of a king. ( )
  MDLady | Oct 29, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515141550, Mass Market Paperback)

With a plain face, Jane Seymour has no suitors and few hopes. Then she is granted a position at court as maid of honor to Queen Catherine. There, Henry VIII ignores his aging wife, showering favor on the dark beauty Anne Boleyn, soon to be his new queen. But he tires of stubborn Anne, and his wandering eye falls on plain Jane. Although she cares for Henry, she must not let herself be swept away by his attentions. For she intends to win not only his heart but also the greatest prize of all-the crown.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:21 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,131,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible