The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams

The Chosen One

by Carol Lynch Williams

Such a Pretty Girl by Laura Wiess (weener)
    The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff (Maggie_Rum)
    Maggie_Rum: Both this book and The Chosen One portray stories of the danger of polygamy, especially to young women.
    Armageddon Summer by Jane Yolen (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the lack of adults who were supposed to protect you.
    Hush by Eishes Chayil (BookSpot)
    BookSpot: Both books deal with girls in insular religious communities that are not all that they appear to be from the outside. Both also deal with things that it's hard to imagine can be going on like that today but they do it well.
    The Patron Saint of Butterflies by Cecilia Galante (ForeignCircus)
    ForeignCircus: Another young adult novel about growing up in a religious cult and facing unbearable choices to further the greater good.
    Burned by Ellen Hopkins (meggyweg)
    Sister Wife by Shelley Hrdlitschka (meggyweg)

aweinel | Jul 14, 2014 |
I hope there are not a lot of kyra's out there! This is a haunting book; one that will stay with me... ( )
  patsaintsfan | Apr 15, 2014 |
Come by my blog, Forever Lost in Books, for MORE reviews, giveaways, interviews and memes!

My Opinion : This book by Carol Lynch Williams was great. I enjoyed reading it a lot. I couldn't stop thinking about it. I loved and still love it!

Characters : Kyra had a great personality. She was 13 years old and faced with a wedding with her uncle. Ugh! I loved her a lot. Her perspective was mature considering that she's 13 years old.

Laura was a good friend to Kyra.

Joshua was her 'boyfriend' or something like that. He was sweet, but I hated that he didn't come back for Kyra!

There were other characters, but I don't see why I should elaborate. ( )
  ccathee17c | Jun 7, 2013 |
Compulsively readable story of a girl who has been raised in a compound where all the men have multiple wives. Other than have three moms, she's a pretty normal teenager, until the compound gets new leadership, and bit by bit things begin to get scary. The books are taken away, the women are married off to the elders while the younger men remain single. When she's promised in marriage to her elderly (CREEPY) uncle, Kyra begins to wonder whether she can leave everyone she loves, especially the boy she has just fallen in love with, to do what's right for herself. As the book progresses, things look more and more hopeless as Kyra explores small rebellions that keep her sane.

This book grabs you. It's hard not to be shouting for her to run away as you read it! ( )
  rin.wilson | Apr 18, 2013 |
This book will make you cry. This book could makes a person ill knowing this lifestyle is in our world. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 15, 2013 |
Kyra's terrible dilemma--escaping her fate means betraying her family--is heartbreakingly real, and the final scenes are riveting and suspenseful.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (Apr 1, 2009)

Williams’ portrayals of the family are sharp, but what’s most interesting about this book is how the yearnings and fears of a character so far from what most YAs know will still seem familiar and close.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Ilene Cooper (Feb 15, 2009)

This page turner will appeal to all readers who enjoy fiction with an important message, combined with suspense and danger beautifully crafted within.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Media Connection, Judith M. Garner

The cinematic drama of [Alis and Kyra's] lives, not to mention the fact that they'd both feel at home in ''The Crucible,'' is a means to reach a quieter truth, revealing that moment in childhood when you recognize your thoughts as your own and discover forces in the world that your parents cannot -- or will not -- protect you from.
added by Katya0133 | editNew York Times Book Review, Jessica Bruder

Williams creates sympathetic characters, and readers will hold their breath right to the end, hoping that Kyra wins her freedom.
added by Katya0133 | editHorn Book Magazine, Chelsey Philpot

"If I was going to kill the Prophet," I say, not even keeping my voice low, "I'd do it in Africa."

In a polygamous cult in the desert, Kyra, not yet fourteen, sees being chosen to be the seventh wife of her uncle as just punishment for having read books and kissed a boy, in violation of Prophet Childs' teachings, and is torn between facing her fate and running away from all that she knows and loves.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,602,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible