The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams

The Chosen One

by Carol Lynch Williams

Such a Pretty Girl by Laura Wiess (weener)
    Armageddon Summer by Jane Yolen (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the lack of adults who were supposed to protect you.
    Forbidden by Judy Waite (Runa)
    The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff (Maggie_Rum)
    Maggie_Rum: Both this book and The Chosen One portray stories of the danger of polygamy, especially to young women.
    Hush by Eishes Chayil (BookSpot)
    BookSpot: Both books deal with girls in insular religious communities that are not all that they appear to be from the outside. Both also deal with things that it's hard to imagine can be going on like that today but they do it well.
    Burned by Ellen Hopkins (meggyweg)
    The Patron Saint of Butterflies by Cecilia Galante (ForeignCircus)
    ForeignCircus: Another young adult novel about growing up in a religious cult and facing unbearable choices to further the greater good.
    Sister Wife by Shelley Hrdlitschka (meggyweg)

Narrated by Jenna Lamia. Thirteen-year-old Kira is a member of The Chosen Ones, a polygamist religious group. She has three mothers and a large number of siblings. Kira, however, is not as devout as she is expected to be. She fantasizes about how she would kill the Prophet, the group's leader. She's discovered the local library bookmobile and covertly checks out books to read in secret. She's in love with a 16-year-old boy (forgot his name!) and they steal away at night to spend time together. Now the Prophet has envisioned that Kira is to marry her 60-year-old Uncle Hiram. Kira wants no part of the marriage but her refusals and desperate actions are impacting the family in the eyes of the Prophet and his God Squad. Teens who've heard recent news about polygamist cults will be intrigued by Kira's story. Although Kira is only 13, I found the narrator's voice a touch too young for Kira. After the reading, the author is interviewed about how she wrote the book. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Well done though difficult to think about the events that take place. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
Well done though difficult to think about the events that take place. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
I must be hard-hearted, because this book didn't appeal despite all the glowing reviews it has received. The story's premise was good and should have had me totally hooked, but there was something about the writing that just left me cold, and I could not connect with Kyra at all. Disappointing! ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
Kyra's terrible dilemma--escaping her fate means betraying her family--is heartbreakingly real, and the final scenes are riveting and suspenseful.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (Apr 1, 2009)

Williams’ portrayals of the family are sharp, but what’s most interesting about this book is how the yearnings and fears of a character so far from what most YAs know will still seem familiar and close.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Ilene Cooper (Feb 15, 2009)

This page turner will appeal to all readers who enjoy fiction with an important message, combined with suspense and danger beautifully crafted within.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Media Connection, Judith M. Garner

The cinematic drama of [Alis and Kyra's] lives, not to mention the fact that they'd both feel at home in ''The Crucible,'' is a means to reach a quieter truth, revealing that moment in childhood when you recognize your thoughts as your own and discover forces in the world that your parents cannot -- or will not -- protect you from.
added by Katya0133 | editNew York Times Book Review, Jessica Bruder

Williams creates sympathetic characters, and readers will hold their breath right to the end, hoping that Kyra wins her freedom.
added by Katya0133 | editHorn Book Magazine, Chelsey Philpot

"If I was going to kill the Prophet," I say, not even keeping my voice low, "I'd do it in Africa."

In a polygamous cult in the desert, Kyra, not yet fourteen, sees being chosen to be the seventh wife of her uncle as just punishment for having read books and kissed a boy, in violation of Prophet Childs' teachings, and is torn between facing her fate and running away from all that she knows and loves.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,259,119 books! | Top bar: Always visible