Ultrametabolism: The Simple Plan for…

Ultrametabolism: The Simple Plan for Automatic Weight Loss

by Mark Hyman

Health book with some interesting information - a little scientific, kinda boring. ( )
  jepeters333 | Aug 16, 2010 |
I first read of this book back when we subscribed to Experience Life Magazine, and I was glad to find it in a thrift store earlier this year.

Hyman's basic theory is this: Americans are obese because of widespread misinformation about diets (especially low fat and low calorie diets) and how our DNA is programmed to gain weight. Many pre-packaged foods contain additives and fats that are not natural and our bodies don't know how to process them. Therefore, Hyman's Ultrametabolism Prescription advises that people eat as their ancestors did a hundred years ago with lots of raw fruits and veggies, ancient grains, nuts, and lean meats, and avoiding white flours, sugars, and many pre-packaged products.

I've tried various diet plans before to dismal results. Even though I exercise six days a week for 30 minutes to an hour, my weight stays at the same plateau. Hyman's theory does have merit, I think, in citing that a lot of cheap and easy foods are actually rather toxic. I don't agree with everything he espoused; one thing he said is that we need to eat as we did a hundred years ago, but at the same time he says we need to avoid flour. Um, flour has been pretty important for a long time. I can't afford to dump out all of my gluten-y foods (or buy all organic), but I do plan to try out his recipe suggestions and read labels more carefully. Moderation seems to be the key, as with anything. I've been eating a lot of produce this year, and I hope to increase that intake, stop buying frozen Lean Cuisines, and see if I really can boost my energy and metabolism. ( )
  ladycato | Dec 7, 2009 |
I've only got a quarter into the book, but, in my first month to take the author's suggestions I lost ten pounds. I wonder what happens when I finish it?
  wirkman | Feb 22, 2007 |

For many, losing weight is a never-ending struggle -- especially since our bodies are designed to keep weight on at all costs; it's a matter of survival. But a medical revolution is under way, showing us how to work with our bodies instead of against them to ignite the natural fat-burning furnaces that lie dormant within us. Drawing on the cutting-edge science of nutrigenomics -- how food talks to our genes -- Dr. Mark Hyman has created a way of losing weight by eating the right foods, which in turn sends the right messages to our bodies.

In this easy-to-follow eight-week plan based on each individual's unique genetic needs, Dr. Hyman explains how to customize your personal weight-loss program with menus, recipes, shopping lists, and recommendations for supplements and exercise. Ultimately, you will rebalance and stabilize your metabolism -- an UltraMetabolism -- to maintain weight loss and enjoy lifelong health.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:31 -0400)

The human diet has changed dramatically over the past ten thousand years, but our genetic blueprint has not--our bodies are not designed to process the types of food we are fed today. Diets don't work either: less than 6 percent of weight-loss attempts succeed. This book presents nutrigenomics, the science of how food talks to our genes, which shows how the forces that keep weight on can actually be reprogrammed to burn fat and keep weight off for good. By learning how to work with our bodies instead of against them, we can ignite the natural fat-burning furnaces that lie dormant within us. The result is an eight-week plan customized to help you lose weight based on your own unique genetic needs.--From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,069,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible