The ABC's of Kissing Boys by Tina Ferraro

The ABC's of Kissing Boys (edition 2009)

by Tina Ferraro

Member:Sara174
Title:The ABC's of Kissing Boys
Authors:Tina Ferraro
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2009), Paperback, 224 pages

The ABC's of Kissing Boys by Tina Ferraro

This book was surprisingly good. I read it for the Peel Fiction Review Committee, but didn't expect much. The title really turned me off because I though it was just going to be about someone who wanted to learn all about kissing. Which is a bit about what it was about, except the motivation behind WHY the character needs to learn how to kiss was what made the book interesting. The main character, Parker, does not make the varsity soccer team, even thought she really strongly believes she should have made it. All of her JV teammates make it, but she has to stay back and play on the JV team. There is a big sports fair coming up, and the varsity team is running a kissing booth. The coach who raises the most money at their booth gets a choice parking spot for the rest of the year. Parker has this great plan; her brother's friend Luke, a college hottie, is going to show up with a TON of money, and insist that he wants to kiss Parker. The coach is going to put Parker on the varsity team for a few moments, and later, Parker is going to use that to convince her that she should be there all the time. However... Luke tells her the kiss has to look convincing, so she starts looking around to try to find someone who can help her practice. She settles on a freshman who lives beside her, named Tristan. She doesn't anticipate that she will actually develop feelings for him. Meanwhile, there are some great lessons learned about old friends who are ditched when better friends come along, and who is really a friend, etc. I enjoyed this book much more than I expected. ( )
  JRlibrary | Feb 28, 2010 |
Parker has everything: popularity, friends, style, and now she’s a junior in high school. Sixteen is the age when you’re supposed to be having the time of your life but how humiliating would it be if you found out you’re stuck on the freshman soccer team? Parker hatches a plan to get on the varsity team where her friends are but it’s complicated and she needs a boy … to teach her how to kiss. When her so-called “best friend” discovers Parker kissing a freshman, rumors start to spread. Parker finally gets to see her friends from the outside, the way others do, and it’s not pretty. Now she has to decide where she truly belongs: with the popular crowd or in the arms of the loveable freshman boy across the street.

The ABC’s of Kissing Boys was sweet and enjoyable. Though the moral of the story is a little messy and not the easiest to understand at first, the author never strayed from the plot. The romance seemed so real and I couldn’t help but smile at the predictability of the ending. This book has the potential to be a great film! Author Tina Ferraro’s writing isn’t the best I’ve read but it was new and different. Have you ever read a book where the girl falls for a younger boy? The narration actually felt like it was coming from a teenage girl. I rated it a 4 was because I couldn’t feel any sympathy toward the main character for the situation she was in. Overall, I learned a lot from The ABC’s of Kissing Boys. *wink, wink* ( )
  GirlwiththeBraids | Oct 14, 2009 |
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Parker's life is over.

She failed to make the varsity soccer team and now her friends are drifting further and further away, until her social life is nonexistent.

But she's not taking this lying down. She's come up with a foolproof plan to regain both her spot on the soccer field and also her former BFFs.

She's going to pay the hottest guy in town to kiss her at the annual sports fair. His only condition - the kiss has to look real.

Parker's never been kissed, but she makes a deal with her neighbor. Even though he's just a freshman, Parker knows that he might be her only hope. However, if the rest of the school finds out, her chance at redemption might be over before it begins.

With THE ABC'S OF KISSING BOYS, Parker learns the true meaning of friendship and love, as well as her own strength, in this delightful romantic tale. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 9, 2009 |
This book was like eating chocolate (or something sugary and yummy). I felt kind of bad reading it, because it's so silly, but I loved everything about it. From the ridiculous plot to the predictable romance to the surprisingly strong main character. This was recommended to me after I realized I'd forgotten to bring another book from home and it took me just about an hour to read it. It's super quick, hilarious (I was laughing out loud) and so cute and sweet that I must have gotten at least 12 cavities while reading it. This is light, fluffy, and truly adorable. A+ ( )
  callmecayce | Sep 11, 2009 |
You know why I love reading Ferraro’s novels..? Because when I’m finished I always feel all warm and gooey inside! While I thought this novel was just too cute and fun it also has some depth. Parker not only loses her spot on the soccer field, but also personally, her spot among her “friends.” Ferraro expertly captures the essence of an ostracized teen! And I’m glad that Parker was able to experience what true friendship meant, even though it wasn’t from the people she wished it had been. What you want is always necessarily what you need, right?The whole kissing aspect was hilarious and yet ingenious! I find myself wondering where this summer camp was when I was a teen! I don’t think I’m an expert kisser or anything, but I thought I knew a thing or two, until this novel opened my eyes to the wild world of kissing. I didn’t even know what half of these kisses were. Caterpillar kiss, steam kiss... I mean who came up with this stuff! They are no ordinary kisses! I’ll tell you that much.If your looking for a fun, fast, feel good novel... just think Ferraro! ( )
  the_story_siren | Jul 2, 2009 |
For Terri, 'cause she's cool like that.
"You're late."

Parker Stanhope has played soccer practically since she could walk. And now that she’s a high school junior, everything she’s worked for is finally coming together. She’s paid her dues on the field, and as an upperclassman, she’s a shoo-in for the varsity team. But that’s not what happens.

This year, Coach Hartley moved up every JV player but two—and one of those two was Parker. Now, she’s stuck with the freshmen, her friends are cutting her loose, and her love of the game is seriously beginning to fail. But Parker is determined to get her life back. She has to get on the varsity team, and she has the perfect plan. All she needs now is the right kind of coach.

Tina Ferraro lives in southern California. You can visit her online at www.tinaferraro.com.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:49 -0400)

When sixteen-year-old Parker Stanhope takes kissing lessons from the freshman across the street as part of her plan to get on the varsity soccer team, a relationship blossoms that threatens her popularity at school and must be kept secret from their feuding fathers.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,603,642 books! | Top bar: Always visible