Game Day by Tiki Barber

Game Day

by Tiki Barber

Summary: "Game Day" is a story of two brothers, both football players, who utilize their talents to win a football game. Ronde and Tiki Barber are both football players. Tiki always receives praise for his play on the football field. He is constantly scoring touchdowns. Ronde is a blocker, which means he is supposed to protect the other players. He hardly ever receives any praise for his work. Their coach notices this and designs a play that will incorporate both players. The play not only showcases both players, but it ends up becoming the winning score in their football game.

Review: I liked reading this story about Ronde and Tiki Baber. In a sense, it is a biography, as it talks about their lives growing up. As we all know, they both end up becoming professional football players so it was comforting to read a story about their rise to this family. Understandably enough, Ronde is upset that he is never congratulated for his "behind-the-scenes" work. His coach wants the best for his team and designs a play the uses both players at the same time. I really enjoyed reading about their ability to cooperate during a play. I would consider reading this to my future students to teach them the power of working together and where it can get you in life. ( )
  cclark37 | Dec 9, 2014 |
Summary:
This story is a true story based on the lives of two twin brothers Tiki and Ronde Barber, brothers who both became famous NFL players. In this story Tiki is getting recognized for all of the touchdowns he is making during the boys football games. Ronde is having trouble understanding why Tiki is getting all of the attention when he is the one blocking for him, and allowing him to make the touchdowns. At the end of the story their coach sets up a play and Ronde scores the winning touchdown. Tiki, Ronde, and the team celebrate their win against their toughest opponent. In the end Ronde realizes that his position on the team is just as important as his brothers because winning is a team effort.
Personal Reflection:
We are big football fans in my home, so when I selected this nonfiction book I knew my son would love it. I really enjoyed the artwork in this book. The moral of the story was great, and I would recommend this book to any parent that has a child in sports.

Classroom Extension:
-This book could be used to teach students about the importance of team work.
-This book could be used when teaching students about sports.
  Kimberly83 | Apr 15, 2012 |
Tiki and Ronde are twins who strive to be the best on the football team; Ronde feels left out in his brother’s wake, but at the end of the story scores a winning touchdown. The narrative is third-person and includes dialogue that mimics natural speech rhythms. The illustrations are bright, using saturated hues. Details are replaced by a slight blurriness that mimics the action of the story. ( )
  amandacb | Mar 18, 2010 |
Brothers Tiki and Ronde Barber are great football players but sometimes become jealous of each others playing. In the end the brothers realize that teamwork is how they succeed.
  wpbarrentine | Nov 16, 2009 |
Critique:
Genre: This story is an autobiography about Ronde and Tiki, two twin brothers who played for the Cave Spring Vikings. It is a true story about their feelings towards one another and how they had to overcome jealousy to work together as a team.
Character: The character of Ronde is dynamic and round. The reader gets to know who he is through his interactions and dialogue with the other characters. However, Ronde changes throughout the book. He starts out being jealous of his brother who gets all of the attention for scoring all of the touchdowns. He gets frustrated too because he is the one who blocks for Tiki. But in the end, he realizes the importance of working as a team and having separate roles. ( )

Twin brothers Tiki and Ronde Barber share a story of perserverance and teamwork from when they were growing up and playing for the Cave Springs Vikings before they became NFL superstars.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,005,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible