I'll Meet You at the Cucumbers by…

I'll Meet You at the Cucumbers

by Lilian Moore

I've read a lot of poetry anthologies aimed at children. Lilian Moore's name is attached to high proportion of the best selections. So when I found out that she had written some chapter books, I leaped. I was not disappointed by this one!

Charming pictures, characters with distinct and empathetic personalities, themes of courage, friendship, home, and self-identity, exciting adventures... and a library! And poetry! All in a compact, easily digestible, but savory little volume ideal for those just beginning to read chapter books.

Or better yet, share it as a read-aloud with the family. And maybe you can make a fellow look twice" as Adam's friend Junius observes about Adam's 'thoughts' that are actually poems.

A nice author's note sends me scurrying to find more about the two poems read by the mice that I didn't recognize." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

One day Adam Mouse decides to put aside his fear of leaving home and visit his friend Amanda, who is a city mouse. And what a day they have! He has a fast ride in a Silver Racer, visits the public library for the first time, and has a good look at the wide (and noisy) world beyond the quiet farm where he lives. Best of all, Adam discovers that the little notes he jotted to his friend Amanda are poetry, and that he is a poet!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:51 -0400)

Adam and Junius, two country mice, go for a visit to the city, where Adam despairs when his dear friend admits he might like to stay.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,976,715 books! | Top bar: Always visible