Memoirs of a Geisha: A Portrait of the Film…

Memoirs of a Geisha: A Portrait of the Film

by Peggy Mulloy

Color film stills and a making-of essay comprise this beautiful art book. Behind the scenes photos of the elaborate preproduction do justice to the unique cinematography of the sets and costumes of 1930s Japan. ( )
  sacredheart25 | Dec 3, 2014 |
The film was an instant favorite, pulling me into a complex reality with a stunning main character. Which is to say, it introduced me to the lovely actress Zhang Ziyi, and I've been exploring her work since then. Most recommended are the splendid "The Road Home," the amazing "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," the surreal delight "Raccoon Princess". And her heartrending performance in "2046".

And introduced me to her "big sister" (both on and off screen) Michelle Yeoh. Cannot say I've found a way to like Hatsumomo sufficiently to appreciate Gong Li's performance. Until then (if ever), I'll delight in "little Chiyo," Suzuka Ohgo. And the young Pumpkin, Zoe Weisenbaum of Massachusetts.

This volume is a way to revisit the film between viewings. Sumptuous, and gorgeous, but not sufficient in photos of Ziyi as the stunning and courageous Sayuri. But I don't think it possible to see enough photos of her, especially in the beautiful kimonos, which are not so far from the real thing as some represent. ( )
  JNagarya | May 7, 2009 |
I loved Memoirs of a Geisha because it was just visually amazing. Hatsumomo was stunning. Sayuri's dance sequence was pure beauty and drama. The costumes were so authentic and yet jazzed up as if for a Parisian runway. The movie just transported me to a mythical place and let us play in its magic.

The book has a series of essays talking about movie production, costume design, geisha tradition and history. The photos are gorgeous. An interesting piece for fans of the film. ( )
  makaiju | Nov 27, 2008 |

A visual companion to the movie based on the best-selling work by Arthur Golden features lavish full-color photographs, production drawings of specially designed kimonos, and an exploration of how filmmakers re-created the World War II-era geisha district where Sayuri spent her formative years. (A Columbia Pictures film, directed by Rob Marshall, releasing Winter 2005, starring Ziyi Zhang, Ken Watanabe, Michelle Yeoh, Koji Yakusho, & Gong Li)… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,563,781 books! | Top bar: Always visible