Breaking the Silence by Diane Chamberlain

Breaking the Silence (edition 2009)

by Diane Chamberlain

Title:Breaking the Silence
Authors:Diane Chamberlain
Info:Mira (2009), Edition: Original, Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Read, Your library

Breaking the Silence by Diane Chamberlain

While there were some elements of the book that were predictable, I found this to be a very good read and had a hard time putting it down. I love a story that is partly told in flashbacks and Chamberlain does that well. She is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. ( )
  mandolin | Aug 30, 2015 |
Chamberlain never disappoints. ( )
  mootzymom | Aug 19, 2015 |
I read this novel while on holiday. It was definitely suited to that type of reading; long, leisurely days when you can dip in and out of it. Each chapter was written as a self contained unit and while you were drawn to continue reading, nothing was lost by leaving it till the next day or so to restart at the next chapter.

Perhaps I have not read enough of this genre, but I found that I could not guess the ending, not the big twist at least. We the reader unfolded the layers of narrative as Laura finds herself unfolding the separate stories she was living and learning about. Though not in first person, seeing things from her perspective gave the book a focused lens to see events through; as it was her who linked every tale together they was no other approach possible.

I did enjoy this novel. It wasn't as silly as I was expecting from the genre. Though this may be because of my inexperience with 'chick-lit', it never felt formulaic but unfolded piece by piece as the chapters went on. I was struck by its dealings with mental heath; depression, suicide, PTSD, and dementia (if that can fall into the category of metal health). I was almost grateful that the characters were not made two-dimensional by their conditions. The ending was particularly satisfactory.

I only give this novel 4/5 because I don't think I would read it again because the magic was based almost entirely on the journey of discovery that it took its characters, and the reader, on. ( )
  shellyho | May 25, 2015 |
Another page turner by Diane Chamberlain! I stayed up until 3:30am so I could finish (the twist regarding Laura, Joe, and Ray/Gilbert, was brilliant). This book reminds me a little of Jodi Picoult’s subject matter as highlights (muteness, suicide, and Alzheimer’s, the mentally ill, and other controversial topics). If you begin reading and feel it starts a little slower than most Diane’s books, do Not give up, as trust me as you will find the same suspense and excitement as you move along and will not be able to put it down.

I loved Brandon and Laura’s characters as you fall in love with them and you could really sympathize with Sarah and Emma. Ray sounded like a jerk from the beginning, so never understood how Laura could fall for him (will not spoil this to say more). The Alzheimer illness was very realistic as my sister cares for a woman who is similar in that they remember the past, but not present.

A heartbreaking story about a dying father’s wish for his daughter Laura to locate a woman in a retirement home with Alzheimer’s with no clue of the relation or connection (which he has been funding for years) with warnings and threats from others to stay away. A husband with hidden secrets and mental problems commits suicide while his (adoptive daughter), Emma witnesses the tragedy and become mute.

In the meantime, as Emma begins therapy, Laura seeks the biological father Brandon, from nine years earlier, who has no idea he is a father and a bachelor. The request from her dying father was to take care of Sarah in the rest home and Laura enjoys her visits weekly and hears stories and experiences from Sarah set in the 50’s, detailing a time when she was married and in the middle of a huge scandal while working as a nurse in a mental hospital (which they were doing some very unethical procedures and research nightmare). Combine this with whistleblowing, and undercover work, and threats to your family and you have a nightmare!

It all comes together in the uncovering Emma’s silence, the memories of love, despair, and evil and the much awaited connection between Joe/Laura/Emma/Ray. A must read!
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
This is well written on the whole - which is typical of Diane Chamberlain, and I did enjoy the characters. However, I have to say the plot twists are simply ridiculously melodramatic and a couple of times I just had to laugh out loud and do a lot of groaning. This is the sort of thing a good editor should pick up on and tone down - so I do admit that I grew rather fond of the Evil Doctor (capitals deliberate) and thought he'd make a brilliant main character of his own novel. I think I was supposed to hate him, but I thought he was wonderful.

Not the best Chamberlain novel around then. Oh well. ( )
  AnneBrooke | Aug 22, 2013 |
To David,
my Tex-Mex and Amana guy.
The phone rang a few minutes after eleven on Christmas night.

When fulfilling her father's dying wish leads to a chain of unexpected events, including her husband's suicide, Laura begins to discover secrets in her family's past.

Diane Chamberlain is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,952,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible