Breaking the Silence by Diane Chamberlain

Breaking the Silence (edition 2009)

by Diane Chamberlain

Member:Samqua
Title:Breaking the Silence
Authors:Diane Chamberlain
Info:Mira (2009), Edition: Original, Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:*****

Breaking the Silence by Diane Chamberlain

This was soooo good! The story was fantastic! I can't believe I has this one my shelf for so long, if only I'd known! Kept me guessing right up until the end. Absolutely recommend this book to anyone. ( )
  Tabatha014 | Mar 31, 2016 |
I absolutely loved this book. Diane Chamberlain is compared to Jodi Picoult and it is easy to see why from the fascinating subjects covered in this novel, and I think I might even prefer her style of writing to Picoult's. The story gripped me and I couldn't put the book down. The characters were complex individuals but likeable and even though I pretty much guessed what the ending would be, around two thirds of the way through, I was anxious to get to the end and prove my theory correct!

I thoroughly recommend this book to everyone. The only reason I have given it 4/5 rather than 5/5 is because I guessed the ending!
  LadyJeneferReid | Mar 3, 2016 |
This was a strong, thoughtful novel about mental illness and family relationships. The lives of two women, Laura and Sarah, become indelibly entwined after Laura makes a promise to her dying father. While the story focuses mainly on Laura's life, it is Sarah's that is the most horrifying and powerful. Now an elderly lady suffering early Alzheimers, she gradually tells Laura stories revealing what her life was like during the 1950's as a psychiatric nurse.

The book is a fast paced, easy read (although fairly predictable), drawing the reader in with the narrative involving torture and frightening experiments on unsuspecting psychiatric patients in institutions which were supposed to be taking care of these fragile people. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
Laura Brandon was a happily married astronomer and a mother to Emma, that is until her husband Ray unexpectedly commits suicide. The problem is that now Emma, who was at home alone with Ray when he committed suicide, refuses to talk. What could be the secrets behind Ray's death that could cause Emma's select muteness? Could Laura ever bring herself to admit them?

I picked this book up when I saw that it was recommended to lovers of Jodi Picoult. I was not disappointed! In fact, I may even go as far as to say that she writes better than Picoult (at least in this book). It was easy to read in that it didn't feel like the author was putting on a show for her audience, it was natural and heartfelt. I liked that I couldn't figure out what was going to happen until it actually did and I was kept at the edge of my seat, finishing it in two sittings. There were also several storylines, but they were well put together so I still knew what was going on. ( )
  Stella-T | Jan 14, 2016 |
I found the book description of this one a little confusing, so here's my summary: Laura Brandon's father is on his deathbed. As he is dying, he makes her promise to visit & check up on an elderly woman in a nursing home -- a woman whose name (Sarah Tolley) & identity are totally unfamiliar to Laura. She does as he asks, but in doing so, she seems to anger her husband, Ray, and when she returns home from her visit with Sarah, she finds that Ray has committed suicide. Not only that, but her 4-year-old daughter Emma was at home with him at the time and now refuses to speak.

The initial events of this book were a little overwhelming and it was difficult to sort out exactly what was going on. Who exactly is Sarah Tolley and what kind of relationship did she have with Laura's father? Why was Ray seemingly so upset about Laura going to visit this supposed unknown woman, upset enough that it seemed to trigger his suicide? And was the suicide itself enough to throw Emma into silence or was there something else going on as well?

Though confusing at first, I did for the most part enjoy the way this story unfolded, and it was unique in certain aspects. However, there were also some melodramatic bits and some predictability to some degree, although there was a twist near the end that caught me off guard. My biggest complaint was that I read this on audio, and the reader's voice was very grating and annoying, so to anyone interested, I'd recommend not doing so on audio. This was my second read by Diane Chamberlain, and I do enjoy her storylines, so I'll likely keep reading her books. She's written quite a lot of them, so that should keep me busy. ( )
  indygo88 | Dec 19, 2015 |
To David,
my Tex-Mex and Amana guy.
The phone rang a few minutes after eleven on Christmas night.

When fulfilling her father's dying wish leads to a chain of unexpected events, including her husband's suicide, Laura begins to discover secrets in her family's past.

Diane Chamberlain is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,773,277 books! | Top bar: Always visible