Drink, Play, F@#k: One Man's Search for…

Drink, Play, F@#k: One Man's Search for Anything Across Ireland, Las… (2009)

by Andrew Gottlieb

I began this book on a short flight and could not wait to continue to read it -- and I've been stuck in the India section of [b:Eat, Pray, Love|19501|Eat, Pray, Love|Elizabeth Gilbert|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1269870432s/19501.jpg|3352398] for 4 months.

ErikaWasTaken | Sep 22, 2013 |
It was ok. Each of the three sections dragged for the last two chapters and the final section was a bit wanky. Other than that, it was a fast plane-read and quite amusing. I hadn't read the original [b:Eat, Pray, Love|19501|Eat, Pray, Love|Elizabeth Gilbert|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1269870432s/19501.jpg|3352398] as I find worthy, self-improvement books incredibly boring and a waste of time - I need a full body retooling rather than touch-ups on the rusty spots, so I can't tell if this was a good parody or not. Still, like the curate's egg, it was good, in parts. ( )
  Petra.Xs | Apr 2, 2013 |
The library copy closest to me is Pukekohe, 2120 New Zealand--just a little hop across the Pacific.
  OshoOsho | Mar 30, 2013 |
My cousin Pete gave me this for Christmas and it looks like just what I needed before marriage. I haven't read Eat Pray Love, but this is a spoof written from the POV of the main character's husband. He too goes on an inspirational quest.
The book is good fun, but you can tell he was in a rush to get it done to capitalize on EPL. It seems to meander and then find its way quickly at the end.
It's still quite funny and worth reading, it's not some diatribe against the book it spoofs.
I enjoyed it, and would recommend it. It's not fratboy humor as you might suspect. ( )
  TommySalami | Mar 14, 2013 |
Not as funny as I hoped. It reads more like a sitcom that relies on visuals than a novel with enough detail and nuance to really draw you in. That said a quick easy boy-lit read - men will likely enjoy it so it was OK. ( )
1 vote shelleyraec | May 9, 2011 |
For the real Alicia
You want to know how easy it is to play craps? I have played craps before, and I have already gone on record saying I have no idea how to play craps.

I will not waste your time or my meager brainpower trying to describe how insanely amazing the Grand Canyon is.

In Drink, Play, F@#k Bob Sullivan, a jilted husband, sets off to explore the world, experience a meaningful connection with the divine, and rediscover his passion. His travels lead him from his home in New York City to a drinking bender across Ireland, through the glitz and glamour that is Las Vegas, and to the hedonistic pleasure palaces of Thailand. After a lifetime of playing it safe, Mr. Sullivan finally follows his heart and lives out everyone's deepest fantasies. For who among us hasn't dreamed of standing stark naked, head upturned, and mouth agape beneath a cascading torrent of Guinness Stout? What could be more exhilarating than losing every penny you have because Charlie Weiss went for a meaningless last-second field goal? And what sensate creature could ever doubt that the greatest pleasure known to man can be found in a leaky bamboo shack filled with glassy-eyed, bruised Asian hookers? Bob Sullivan has a lot to teach us about life. Let's just pray we have the wisdom to put aside our preconceptions and listen. Because what Bob Sullivan finds isn't at all what he expected.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:40 -0400)

Bob Sullivan, a jilted husband, sets off to explore the world, experience a meaningful connection with the divine, and rediscover his passion. His travels lead him from his home in New York City to a drinking bender across Ireland, through the glitz and glamour that is Las Vegas, and to the hedonistic pleasure palaces of Thailand. After a lifetime of playing it safe, Mr. Sullivan finally follows his heart and lives out everyone's deepest fantasies.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,670,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible