Now You See It . . .: Stories from…

Now You See It . . .: Stories from Cokesville, PA

by Bathsheba Monk

Wow! What a great multi-level story. By the end of the book, you definitely feel like you have walked beside these characters thru-out many years. I am not sure you would call it a coming of age story, although it seemed like it at times. This is the type of book where, you sorta know people in your youth who are similar to some of these characters that makes it seem more like Bathsheba's Diary rather than a novel - A good read that may bring back memories of similar people to those who were teenager's during the 70's and 80's. ( )
  booklovers2 | Jul 21, 2017 |
Monk writes like they used to. ( )
  pmf | Jun 4, 2007 |
Interrelated short stories about leaving home. The stories in this collection really stayed with me. Deceptively easy to read...I say that because the language is so clear and precise, it doesn't hit you till you're finished the book that there are some weighty themes in here. ( )
  Ibreak4books | May 7, 2007 |
For Uncle Mike, Paid in Full
Small Fry 1980--- After Sam Bledsoe divorced me, I decided to cut my ties with Boston, where I lived for ten years, and move to Los Angelos.

It's pretty much a straight shot from the upstate New York towns of Richard Russo's books to Bathsheba Monk’s Cokesville, PA. This is coal and steel country. The sort of place where an inch of soot on the windowsill means a regular paycheck—and two inches means a fat one. And what's the best make-out spot in town? Next to the burning slag heap.

In seventeen beguiling, linked stories, spanning fourty-five years, Monk brings a corner of America alive as never before. Her world bursts with indelible characters: Mrs. Szilborski, who bakes great cake, but sprays her neighbors’ dogs with mace; and Mrs. Wojic, who believes her husband was reincarnated—as one of those dogs. Then there is the younger generation: Annie Kusiak , who wants to write, and Theresa Gojuk, who dreams of stardom. Cokesville is their Yoknapatawpha; they ache to escape it and the ghosts of their ancestors and the regret of their parents. What ghosts—and what regrets! When Theresa’s father Bruno falls into a vat of molten steel, the mill gives the family an ingot roughly his weight to bury.

As deliciously wry as Allegra Goodman in The Family Markowitz, and with the matter-of-fact humanity of Grace Paley, Bathsheba Monk leads us into a world that is at once totally surprising and recognizable. These stories glow like molten steel.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:44 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,339,981 books! | Top bar: Always visible