Vincent Van Gogh (On My Own Biography) by…

Vincent Van Gogh (On My Own Biography)

by Eileen Lucas

143683,257 (3)None

The book, "Vincent Van Gogh" by Eileen Lucas, is a short summary of Vincent Van Gogh's life. It describes his struggles both mentally and psychically in regards to his paintings and health. He had help from his brother Theo. He died young, but his beautiful paintings still live on.

The book is well written. I enjoyed reading it because I didn't know many things about Vincent Van Gogh. The pictures were nice and drawn like how Van Gogh painted. I think children could see the pictures and get an idea of who Van Gogh was. ( )
  kpacheco1 | Jan 31, 2018 |
One of the most famous painters in the world, Vincent can Gogh's dark life was hidden behind his bright paintings. Van Gogh sent his brother many paintings to be sold in a gallery, but few were interested in his art. Due to lack of money, he often got sick and had nothing to eat, but promised he would not give up. His brother then introduced him to a genre of art in France called impressionism. Impressionists always worked with brilliant colors and short brush strokes in an attempt to paint an idea they had. Using nature as inspiration, he traveled around to find places with a lot of light and warmth. Even on windy days, he would lay his canvas on the ground to paint. His art was filled with brilliant colors and thick layers of paint. He was so busy painting that he was wearing himself out. He was angry and tired and eventually ended up in a mental hospital. He died young, but his art keeps him alive to this day.

The illustrations cleverly try to mimic van Gogh's style. It hits all the main points of van Gogh's life while keeping it simple for young readers. The story is organized well, though it does skip his childhood and go straight into his adulthood. Still a very interesting read on an artist I did not know much about! ( )
  kvedros | Jan 28, 2018 |
Vincent van Gogh is someone I am not familiar with, besides knowing he was an artist. Lucas tells us a journey of van Gogh in his later years, through this picture book biography. Opening with dedications, which gave me a feeling the book would be about van Gogh discovering his talent as an artist. Next van Gogh is with a family to draw them at dinner. Which implies to me that he is a trusted artist in Holland where this part of the story is taking place. Painting for 5 years’ van Gogh grew extremely talented. Broadening his skills with new ways to paint pictures, finding his very own niche. Having a younger brother in France he often communicated with opened many new doors for van Gogh’s paintings. Moving to France receiving help from his brother was when he became inspired to paint even more. The colors of his surroundings and the vibrant colors of the sun, moon, and stars, gave great insight to the new pictures. Vincent was a very strong and determined painter, so determined he stopped taking care of himself properly. “He didn’t eat well and he worked too hard.” Dying at such a young age of thirty-seven, van Gogh leaves behind his art. “His brother and friends put yellow flowers on his coffin”, just as the pictures Vincent hang in his yellow house. This picture book uses several colors, maybe to set the tone of the page being read. Using bright colors when happy or sun is shining, and dark blues or purple for night. I find this book would be best used to get children to interact with the colors used throughout the story and how certain colors can make people feel. ( )
  cchaney | Jan 19, 2016 |

Follows the life and artistic development of the painter who moved from Belgium and Holland to France, was influenced by Impressionism, and eventually created his own unique style.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,289,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible