The Poe Shadow : a novel by Matthew Pearl

The Poe Shadow : a novel (edition 2006)

by Matthew Pearl

Member:UPMarta
Title:The Poe Shadow : a novel
Authors:Matthew Pearl
Info:New York : Random House, 2006.
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Novel, Edgar Allan Poe's death

The Poe Shadow by Matthew Pearl

The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld (edwinbcn)
    Thunderstruck by Erik Larson (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Part history, part fiction and all together excellent historical fiction.
    Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Edgar Allan Poe (kiwiflowa)

English (75)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  All languages (83)
Premise is great, prose is awful! ( )
  winterslights | Jun 12, 2016 |
The premise of this novel was very intriguing. I liked the concept behind the story, but it could have used a lot more editing. There were quite a few descriptions and events that could have been omitted and allowed the plot to move at a better pace. The ending was one area that needed to be edited. I found myself re-reading a lot to try and follow along as Pearl was revealing Poe's last hours. I'm still not sure I understood where he was going with his story. Then, all of a sudden, everyone's lives were neatly tied up in a mini chapter. Definitely not my favorite read.This was not the story I was expecting when I downloaded it and I am so glad it wasn't. I really enjoyed the simplicity of this story. The narrator (Jenna Lamia) only added to the simplicity. Griet was an interesting character that added a new dynamic to this artist's family life. She was swept up in his artistic life without losing herself completely to it. I loved hearing about how the various paintings were planned out and executed. I also loved the ending of the story and could not have imagined a better one." ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
I rarely give up in a book, but this one was just too painful. I loved Dante Club, so I will give up on this title, but not Matthew Pearl. ( )
  SharonRILINK | Mar 4, 2016 |
Baltimore, 1849. Edgar Allan Poe has just been buried in an unmarked grave, his final days a mystery. Ardent admirer Quentin Clark, a young Baltimore barrister, bored with his practice, society and life in general, sets out to salvage Poe's somewhat tattered reputation and investigates the circumstances of his death. In order to do so, he has to call on the assistence of the inspiration for Poe's brilliant fictional detective, C. Auguste Dupin.

The premise of this book is wonderful, the excecution however, less so. The main character, Quentin Clark, is completely unlikable, whinging, annoying and a bit unhinged. He is obsessed with this investigation (for no particular reason), throwing away his career, reputation and fiance along the way. The whole story was rather boring, which is particularily disappointing considering the amount of research that must have gone into this book. Actually, the historical note at the end was the best part. ( )
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |
An interesting take on the mystery that is the death of Edgar Allan Poe. Well written and a good follow up to his first book. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
For my parents
I present to you, Your Honor and Gentlemen of the Jury, the truth about this man's death and my life.

“I present to you . . . the truth about this man’s death and my life.”

Baltimore, 1849. The body of Edgar Allan Poe has been buried in an unmarked grave. The public, the press, and even Poe’s own family and friends accept the conclusion that Poe was a second-rate writer who met a disgraceful end as a drunkard. Everyone, in fact, seems to believe this except a young Baltimore lawyer named Quentin Clark, an ardent admirer who puts his own career and reputation at risk in a passionate crusade to salvage Poe’s.

As Quentin explores the puzzling circumstances of Poe’s demise, he discovers that the writer’s last days are riddled with unanswered questions the police are possibly willfully ignoring. Just when Poe’s death seems destined to remain a mystery, and forever sealing his ignominy, inspiration strikes Quentin–in the form of Poe’s own stories. The young attorney realizes that he must find the one person who can solve the strange case of Poe’s death: the real-life model for Poe’s brilliant fictional detective character, C. Auguste Dupin, the hero of ingenious tales of crime and detection.
In short order, Quentin finds himself enmeshed in sinister machinations involving political agents, a female assassin, the corrupt Baltimore slave trade, and the lost secrets of Poe’s final hours. With his own future hanging in the balance, Quentin Clark must turn master investigator himself to unchain his now imperiled fate from that of Poe’s.

Following his phenomenal debut novel, The Dante Club, Matthew Pearl has once again crossed pitch-perfect literary history with innovative mystery to create a beautifully detailed, ingeniously plotted tale of suspense. Pearl’s groundbreaking research–featuring documented material never published before–opens a new window on the truth behind Poe’s demise, literary history’s most persistent enigma. The resulting novel is a publishing event that, through sublime craftsmanship, subtle wit, and devious twists, does honor to Poe himself

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:56 -0400)

Baltimore, 1849. The body of Edgar Allan Poe has been buried in an unmarked grave. The public, the press, and even Poe's own family and friends accept the conclusion that Poe was a second-rate writer who met a disgraceful end as a drunkard. Everyone, in fact, seems to believe this except a young Baltimore lawyer named Quentin Clark, an ardent admirer who puts his own career and reputation at risk in a passionate crusade to salvage Poe's. As Quentin explores the puzzling circumstances of Poe's demise, he discovers that the writer's last days are riddled with unanswered questions the police are possibly willfully ignoring. Just when Poe's death seems destined to remain a mystery, and forever sealing his ignominy, inspiration strikes Quentin - in the form of Poe's own stories. The young attorney realizes that he must find the one person who can solve the strange case of Poe's death: the real-life model for Poe's brilliant fictional detective character, C. Auguste Dupin, the hero of ingenious tales of crime and detection.… (more)

Matthew Pearl is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Matthew Pearl chatted with LibraryThing members from Oct 5, 2009 to Oct 16, 2009. Read the chat.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,582,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible