The Poe Shadow : a novel by Matthew Pearl

The Poe Shadow : a novel (edition 2006)

by Matthew Pearl

Member:UPMarta
Title:The Poe Shadow : a novel
Authors:Matthew Pearl
Info:New York : Random House, 2006.
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Novel, Edgar Allan Poe's death

The Poe Shadow by Matthew Pearl

Recently added bykirke70, HeathDAlberts, private library, mryan40, GPlumb, Monica91280, futurepastimes
    The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld (edwinbcn)
    Thunderstruck by Erik Larson (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Part history, part fiction and all together excellent historical fiction.
    Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Edgar Allan Poe (kiwiflowa)

English (69)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  All languages (77)
I really didn't enjoy this book. In fact, in all honesty, I skimmed the last 75 pages or so. This is a fictional mystery based around the events of Edgar Allan Poe's death and an obsessive Baltimore lawyer's quest to find out what "really happened" to Poe. It was full of implausible plot developments and I really didn't like any of the characters. Disappointing, since I thought the topic seemed like it had a lot of potential. ( )
  japaul22 | Aug 31, 2014 |
For a book that I would have thought I would have LOVED...I was sure disappointed. This book was about Quetin Clark, a man who was obsessed Poe.

Basically, he spends all of his life and time and money trying to uncover the truth about Poe's death (because he will not accept that Poe really drank himself to death. He alienates his friends, his fiance breaks it off and becomes enaged to his bff. He even gets arrested, and drugged.

Don't worry, in the end, he gets back with his fiance, doesn't go to jail, and is able to find another explanation for Poe's death.

Bleh. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

Bleh. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Read during Spring 2007

I heard an interview with Matthew Pearl when 'The Dante Club' came out and it has sat on my shelf for a while so I grabbed up The Poe Shadow when it appeared at BookCrossing MeetUp. It seems Pearl is a better speaker than writer. The Poe Shadow tended to drag and the narrator, Baltimore lawyer and Poe enthusiast Quentin Clark, turned out to be not particularly clever or engaging. He heads out on a wild goose chase to discover the true circumstances of Poe's death and gets pulled into plots of French intrigue. How Pearl manages to make this not very exciting is perhaps a perverse triumph. I'll wait a bit to dig into 'The Dante Club'.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
This took me a bit to get into, but once it got rolling it was interesting enough. Not my favourite Pearl book, but if you like historical fiction, mysteries and/or E.A. Poe, then you'd probably enjoy this. ( )
  debbie.menzel | Feb 6, 2014 |
For my parents
I present to you, Your Honor and Gentlemen of the Jury, the truth about this man's death and my life.

“I present to you . . . the truth about this man’s death and my life.”

Baltimore, 1849. The body of Edgar Allan Poe has been buried in an unmarked grave. The public, the press, and even Poe’s own family and friends accept the conclusion that Poe was a second-rate writer who met a disgraceful end as a drunkard. Everyone, in fact, seems to believe this except a young Baltimore lawyer named Quentin Clark, an ardent admirer who puts his own career and reputation at risk in a passionate crusade to salvage Poe’s.

As Quentin explores the puzzling circumstances of Poe’s demise, he discovers that the writer’s last days are riddled with unanswered questions the police are possibly willfully ignoring. Just when Poe’s death seems destined to remain a mystery, and forever sealing his ignominy, inspiration strikes Quentin–in the form of Poe’s own stories. The young attorney realizes that he must find the one person who can solve the strange case of Poe’s death: the real-life model for Poe’s brilliant fictional detective character, C. Auguste Dupin, the hero of ingenious tales of crime and detection.
In short order, Quentin finds himself enmeshed in sinister machinations involving political agents, a female assassin, the corrupt Baltimore slave trade, and the lost secrets of Poe’s final hours. With his own future hanging in the balance, Quentin Clark must turn master investigator himself to unchain his now imperiled fate from that of Poe’s.

Following his phenomenal debut novel, The Dante Club, Matthew Pearl has once again crossed pitch-perfect literary history with innovative mystery to create a beautifully detailed, ingeniously plotted tale of suspense. Pearl’s groundbreaking research–featuring documented material never published before–opens a new window on the truth behind Poe’s demise, literary history’s most persistent enigma. The resulting novel is a publishing event that, through sublime craftsmanship, subtle wit, and devious twists, does honor to Poe himself

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:33 -0400)

Baltimore, 1849. The body of Edgar Allan Poe has been buried in an unmarked grave. The public, the press, and even Poe's own family and friends accept the conclusion that Poe was a second-rate writer who met a disgraceful end as a drunkard. Everyone, in fact, seems to believe this except a young Baltimore lawyer named Quentin Clark, an ardent admirer who puts his own career and reputation at risk in a passionate crusade to salvage Poe's. As Quentin explores the puzzling circumstances of Poe's demise, he discovers that the writer's last days are riddled with unanswered questions the police are possibly willfully ignoring. Just when Poe's death seems destined to remain a mystery, and forever sealing his ignominy, inspiration strikes Quentin - in the form of Poe's own stories. The young attorney realizes that he must find the one person who can solve the strange case of Poe's death: the real-life model for Poe's brilliant fictional detective character, C. Auguste Dupin, the hero of ingenious tales of crime and detection.… (more)

Matthew Pearl is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Matthew Pearl chatted with LibraryThing members from Oct 5, 2009 to Oct 16, 2009. Read the chat.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,728,541 books! | Top bar: Always visible