Kuuleeko kukaan? by Marian Keyes

Kuuleeko kukaan? (original 2006; edition 2008)

by Marian Keyes, Liisa Laaksonen ((KÄÄnt.))

Member:humppabeibi
Title:Kuuleeko kukaan?
Authors:Marian Keyes
Other authors:Liisa Laaksonen ((KÄÄnt.))
Info:Helsinki : Tammi, 2008.
Rating:***
Tags:2008 luettu, avioliitto, irlanti, kaunokirjallisuus, kuolema, meediot, onnettomuudet, surutyö, new york, dublin, yhdysvallat, psykologiset romaanit, 2012 luettu, lukupiiri

Anybody out There? by Marian Keyes (2006)

PS, I Love You by Cecelia Ahern (Norabee)
    Norabee: Both of these books are well written and enjoyable and if you enjoyed one, you will certainly enjoy the other!
    Watermelon by Marian Keyes (6impossible)

English (55)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (61)
This is the second book I have read in this series, and this time the book is about Anna Walsh. Initially it flips back and forth between the current time and meeting (and her subsequent relationship) with Aidan. The vast majority of the book is her trying to deal with losing Aidan. Whilst some heavy subject matter, there is also a lot of humour present within the book. I did enjoy this book, like with the first one I read in this series, Rachel's Holiday, and I will be continuing to read books in this series and will try other books by Marian Keyes. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
How weird that this book was not added to my shelf. Probably because I did not finish it but I did read quite a lot. I think 75% or so.

I remember rather well what was happening so I might pick this one to finish.
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
I absolutely loved this book. I laughed and sobbed and stayed up late to keep reading. There are incredible lows in the life of the narrator, Anna, and, while they come close to crushing her, there is optimism in play as well.
The marketing business is a self-contained, cutthroat world, but Anna Walsh emerges from it as a young, successful executive for Candy Grrrl Cosmetics in New York. She's smart, she's beautiful, and she's got a wonderful husband who adores her. In short, she has it all.

But that's not how it seems when this story first opens in Anna's native Dublin, where her parents are nursing her back to health and tending to some of her very serious physical injuries. The nature of those injuries remains a mystery, as does the unexplained absence of Anna's husband, Aidan, during Anna's convalescence. Her phone calls to him go un-returned, as do her e-mails, and Anna becomes increasingly anxious over his continued silence. So anxious in fact that she decides it's time to go back to New York to try and make sense of everything.
  AlexisLovesBooks | Feb 9, 2016 |
I picked up this book many years ago, mainly because I liked the cute cover. I read it several years ago (a few years after picking it up originally), and was surprised by the twist in the middle.

In all honesty, once I got to the shocker twist, I simply skimmed the last few chapters, and read the end to try and feel better. I decided not to thoroughly read the rest of the book, because it just made me very sad. I'm not one for shockers like this, with emotional heart-break and that sort of thing. Reality is full of enough pain, and I don't enjoy reading about someone else's.

All that being said, this book was written, and it was ok. Two stars makes it seem really negative, but since everywhere lists two stars as "it was ok" then that's what I'll stick with. It wasn't horrible, and I would recommend it if it sounds interesting to you. I would put the warning out there though, it is a realistic fiction, and not a happy one. ( )
  Rose.Wallin | Jan 20, 2016 |
Can you relate to a character whose boss at work tells her how she should have her hair cut, and she responds as though this is appropriate behaviour? Would you pay to have a tarot card reader predict your future? Do you think people's appearance is the most important aspect of their life? Would you feel at home in the women's makeup industry? Then this is the book for you! I started this book thinking that it was going to deal seriously with the subject of death and grieving, but alas, it does not. I'm embarrassed to say that I read to nearly half way before I gave up. In my defence, I had read a particularly gloomy book just previously and was in need of somewhat lighter reading. This is certainly lighter. In fact, if it was any lighter it would be a complete vacuum. As it is, it's just vacuous. ( )
  oldblack | Jan 8, 2015 |
Prologue: There was no return address on the envelope, which was a little weird.
Mum flung open the sitting-room door and announced, 'Morning, Anna, time for your tablets.'

Bestselling author Marian Keyes has delighted readers with the lives, loves, and foibles of the irrepressible Walsh sisters and their eccentric mammy. In this Life in the Big Apple is perfect for Anna. She has the best job in the world, a lovely apartment, and great friends. Then one morning, she wakes up in her mammy's house in Dublin with stitches in her face, a dislocated knee, hands smashed up, and no memory at all of what happened. As soon as she's able, Anna's flying back to Manhattan, mystified but determined to find out how her life turned upside down. As her past slowly begins coming back to her, she sets out on an outrageous quest—involving lilies, psychics, mediums, and anyone who can point her in the right direction.

Marrying life's darker bits with wild humor and tender wit, Anybody Out There? is a strange and wonderfully charming look at love here and ever after.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:54 -0400)

Anna Walsh returns to her family in Dublin to recuperate from a debilitating and disfiguring accident. Her family tries to bolster her spirits, while her husband in New York is mysteriously missing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,154,701 books! | Top bar: Always visible