The Notebook Girls: Four Friends, One Diary…

The Notebook Girls: Four Friends, One Diary

by Julia Baskin

I wanted to like this book, but it was just too teenager (which is the point, but...) ( )
  Marliesd | Mar 27, 2011 |
The four girls were definitely candid and there was a certain depth there that I didn't necessarily expect. I had no information about NYC schools, how they operated or the various programs each schools focused on. Evidently Stuy is an "ivy-league" primer, and because of that some entries were quite profound. Of course you still had the normal sex questions (should I do it or should I wait), but following that entry would be a discourse on religion (two girls were jewish and one was an atheist).

Overall, I would recommend this book. It's interesting because I can see why parents threw their hands up in the air and fought for this book to get on the banned book list. These kids did everything that a parent doesn't want their fourteen + year old to do. I read an article somewhere that the girls show that you can experiment and party while still making good grades. I think that's what scares parents the most. They don't want their kids to get that idea

http://annotatedreading.blogspot.com/2009/07/notebook-girls.html ( )
  readingthruthenight | Aug 5, 2009 |
This book was written by four high school girls and it was originally their private but shared journal. They really didn't know eachother all that well and they came to know eachother through this book that they passed around. They would each take turns writing in it, telling all their secrets and the most important recent events in their lives. Somehow, this notebook ended up getting published.
This book shows the true life of high school students and all the problems that come along with the territory. This book showed me how many different ways you can choose to live your life and it made me glad that I am on the path that I am on.
More than anything this book inspired me. Just the idea of having this shared notebook brought these four girls closer together, so my 3 best friends and I decided to start a notebook of our own. Even though we are not in a lot of the same classes together, we are able to keep in touch about everything that has happened through our notebook. It helps us share our feelings and memories with one another and has made us even closer.
  Ash122390 | Mar 26, 2007 |

Everyone likes to think they started the notebook. Sophie claims she stole the idea from two girls in her math class. Courtney still has a death grip on the theory that the notebook was her invention. Lindsey doesn't really care; she's just along for the ride. And Julia never knows what's going on anyway.What we do know is that we started the notebook in freshman year at Stuyvesant High School as a way to keep in contact when our conflicting schedules denied us one another's company. It allowed us to express ourselves and our views of the world in a tone of complete sarcasm, obscenity, and blind honesty. We've spent a significant portion of our adolescence trying to figure out who we are. The notebook is the closest we've come.We're just a group of normal girls with normal lives. Our notebook is meant to make you laugh and make you remember.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:00 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,446,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible