Friday by Robert A. Heinlein

Authors:Robert A. Heinlein
Info:Del Rey (1983), Mass Market Paperback, 357 pages
Tags:Alt-Kindle

Friday by Robert A. Heinlein

A fast-paced sort of action/suspense/spy novel about Friday, a trained and enhanced courier for an interplanetary agency, a product of genetic engineering. Friday has a polyamorous family unit apart from her dangerous and lucrative career, but when they learn that she is an A.P. (artificial person), they reject her summarily, and she barely makes her way back to the safety of her agency when the various Western Hemisphere independent states break an uneasy truce. When her Boss dies and the agency is broken down to be sold piecemeal, Friday embarks on the Great Tour of mankind's colonies in other star systems (as a paid agent -- the only way she can afford to leave Earth), and finds that she has been a dupe in a scheme that can only result in her death.

Heinlein has written better novels, but this is thoroughly enjoyable, and Friday, with above-human strength, speed and intelligence, is a likable and sympathetic character who persistently underestimates her own worth as a result of human bigotry and ignorance. ( )
  burnit99 | Nov 4, 2014 |
I enjoyed the book a lot more than I expected to though it is flawed in places. There are almost too many plot threads making for a chaotic first half of the book. Heinlein used a very chit-chatty voice for telling the story of Friday's quest for a family and sometimes it works and a lot of time it doesn't. I did like the near future world he describes where the major countries have fallen apart into smaller feudal countries: such as California, Texas, Chicago, British Canada, and so on. The second round of revolutions though becomes too much of a distraction. ( )
  pussreboots | Oct 25, 2014 |
I monstly liked this book. The elements I liked, I liked a lot: a strong heroine with amazing abilities, what's not to love? Interesting living arrangements and technology.

What I didn't like:
- the way a rapist becomes a lover in the end
- how Friday, like aaaaaall women, ends up wanting to be a mother.

But then, it's Heinlein. He's not known for his feminist views. Viewed as an adventure novel, it's pretty much fine. ( )
  Moem | Mar 11, 2014 |
Nothing to see here folks, move on... move on... Heinlein has done all this before, and better. The only new thing here is his affection for cats. Perhaps he'd mentioned it before somewhere, but quite possibly I'd never noticed it in those earlier books because they were full of distracting things such as engaging plots, original characters and interesting scenarios. If you'd set out to read everything Heinlein had ever written you'd be very satisfied with this book, and particularly happy that you had finished it. Not recommended otherwise, especially if you had a mind to preserve your good opinion of Heinlein based upon your reading of his earlier work. ( )
  nandadevi | Dec 17, 2013 |
There, Jayme, you want embarrassing admissions? I read this book like ten times in high school.

For the dirty parts, obviously, which were pretty much all of them.

Once again, a testament to our ability to grow up more or less normal even despite the weird shit we were exposed to during puberty. This lady's nipple totally gets sawed off. ( )
  AlCracka | Apr 2, 2013 |

Robert A. Heinleinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Huber, HillaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Powers, Richard M.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Ann, Anne, Barbie, Betsy, Bubbles, Carolyn, Catherine, Dian, Diane, Eleanor, Elinor, Gay, Jeanne, Joan, Judy-Lynn, Karen, Kathleen, Marilyn, Nichelle, Patricia, Pepper, Polly, roberta, Ramea, Rebel, Ursula, Verna, Vivian, Vonda, Yumiko, and always - semper toujours! - to Ginny R.A.H.
As I left the Kenya Beanstalk capsule he was right on my heels. He followed me through the door leading to Customs, Health, and Immigration. As the door contracted behind him I killed him.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034530988X, Mass Market Paperback)

Engineered from the finest genes, and trained to be a secret courier in a future world, Friday operates over a near-future Earth, where chaos reigns. Working at Boss's whimsical behest she travels from far north to deep south, finding quick, expeditious solutions as one calamity after another threatens to explode in her face....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:01 -0400)

In a Balkanized North America of the near future, threatened by imminent extinction, a strikingly beautiful and resourceful interplanetary secret agent--an Artificial Person named Friday--tries to survive a gigantic human comedy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,394,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible