The Yankee Years by Joe Torre

The Yankee Years

by Joe Torre, Tom Verducci

Full review here ( )
  beearedee | Mar 18, 2014 |
The Yankee Years by Joe Torre and Tom Verducci is full of facts and information about the New York Yankees MLB team.This book really catches you up on all of the history that the Yankees have been through.It tells you about the coaching strategies used by Joe Torre and his opinion on the illegal aspects of baseball and how his players are a big part of his success.

This book is my favorite baseball book about the Yankees because its written by Joe Torre and Tom Verducci who know the most about them from being around the team so much and taking to many world series and carrying on the New York Yankee dynasty. ( )
  br13mifi | May 1, 2013 |
This is so much more than the payback, tell-all book of the press reports. Sure, there's the revelation that Roger Clemens had trainers rub hot liniment on his testicles before heading out to pitch, and more, but there is also informed discussion of the character of the Yankees over time and how it changed, the bio-mechanics of pitching, and more. I am fascinated. most of all, this is a history and discussion of how change came to baseball, seen from Torre's perspective. The changes include sabermetrics, revenue-sharing and the advent of Bud Selig. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
The listed authorship of this book is deceptive, as it gives the impression that this is an "as told to memoir." But the book is all written in the third person, clearly by Verducci, not Torre, as a history of those years that Joe Torre managed the Yankees. Obviously, Verducci spent many hours interviewing Torre for this (as well as many other sources), as the book heavily relies upon quotes from Torre and on Torre's memories of events. My guess is that Torre included his name as co-author in order to avow his support for and approval of the contents of the book. Or maybe it was a marketing decision. Or maybe both.

At any rate, this is an excellent, excellent baseball history, and not just for Yankee fans. Verducci does a great job of describing the in and outs, the personalities, the drama and melodrama, of the 12 seasons that Joe Torre managed the Yankees, including the incredible run of championships at the beginning of Torre's tenure. But Verducci also does a great job of placing all those events within the context of the developments going on in and around the Yankees in the world of major league baseball in general. Both the steroid situation and the changes in scouting and player appraisal heralded by the arrival of the "Moneyball" philosphy are covered well, for example.

This is a smart, well-written, in-depth book, of interest to all baseball fans, I would think, not just for Yankee fans. ( )
1 vote rocketjk | Apr 23, 2012 |
Liked this book. I read this as an avid sports lover and someone who enjoys watching baseball though as a Royals fan and too young to be part of a winning tradition I'm on the opposite spectrum of Yankee fans. I despise the Yankees but have to admire the joy Yankee fans get to experience year in and year out when their team not only makes the playoffs every year but has a legitamte shot at winning the World Series. I was hoping to get a little more dirt on some of the players, as well as the BOSS, but fell a little short in that regard. A lot of the time I was reading I found myself questioning how Torre remembered exactly what was said during a particular conversation, meeting, game, event etc. when these took place sometimes years ago. I know I'm a geek but when you use quotations and not only quote yourself but the toher person you had the conversation with I expect it to be word for word what you and/or that other person said but I know that couldn't possibly be the case unless there was a tape recorder involved. The biggest theme of the book for me was two things you knew prior to reading the book, as a Yankees fan or just a baseball fan; Derek Jeter is the good guy/hero and Alex Rodriguez is the villian and the guy you love to hate. It's pretty clear that's the way Torre sees it. ( )
  hendy | Aug 5, 2010 |

Joe Torreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Verducci, Tommain authorall editionsconfirmed
To my wife, Ali, for all her love, encouragement and support during our magical years in New York, and to our daughter, Andrea, whose first 12 were Yankee Years. Love you! Joe Torre --------------------------------------------For Kirsten, Adam and Ben, the joys of my life. Tom Verducci
Joe Torre was the fourth choice.

Twelve straight playoff appearances. Six American League pennants. Four World Series titles. This is the definitive story of a dynasty: the Yankee years

When Joe Torre took over as manager of the New York Yankees in 1996, the most storied franchise in sports had not won a World Series title in eighteen years. The famously tough and mercurial owner, George Steinbrenner, had fired seventeen managers during that span. Torre’s appointment was greeted with Bronx cheers from the notoriously brutal New York media, who cited his record as the player and manager who had been in the most Major League games without appearing in a World Series

Twelve tumultuous and triumphant years later, Torre left the team as the most beloved and successful manager in the game. In an era of multimillionaire free agents, fractured clubhouses, revenue-sharing, and off-the-field scandals, Torre forged a team ethos that united his players and made the Yankees, once again, the greatest team in sports. He won over the media with his honesty and class, and was beloved by the fans.

But it wasn’t easy.

Here, for the first time, Joe Torre and Tom Verducci take us inside the dugout, the
clubhouse, and the front office in a revelatory narrative that shows what it really took to keep the Yankees on top of the baseball world. The high-priced ace who broke down in tears and refused to go back to the mound in the middle of a game. Constant meddling from Yankee executives, many of whom were jealous of Torre’s popularity. The tension that developed between the old guard and the free agents brought in by management. The impact of revenue-sharing and new scouting techniques, which allowed other teams to challenge the Yankees’ dominance. The players who couldn’t resist the after-hours temptations of the Big Apple. The joys of managing Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera, and the challenges of managing Alex Rodriguez and Jason Giambi. Torre’s last year, when constant ultimatums from the front office, devastating injuries, and a freak cloud of bugs on a warm September night in Cleveland forced him from a job he loved.

Through it all, Torre kept his calm, kept his players’ respect, and kept winning.

And, of course, The Yankee Years chronicles the amazing stories on the diamond. The stirring comeback in the 1996 World Series against the heavily favored Braves. The wonder of 1998, when Torre led the Yanks to the most wins in Major League history. The draining and emotional drama of the 2001 World Series. The incredible twists and turns of the epic Game 7 of the 2003 American League Championship Series against the Red Sox, in which two teams who truly despised each other battled pitch by pitch until the stunning extra-inning home run.

Here is a sweeping narrative of Major League Baseball in the Yankee era, a book both grand in its scope and fascinating in its details.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:34 -0400)

Written as a third-person narrative with "Sports Illustrated" senior baseball writer Verducci, "The Yankee Years" is a thoughtful, utterly honest, and gripping behind-the-scenes look at the Yankees' organization from the most successful--and most respected--baseball manager of the modern era.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,340,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible