Storm of Visions by Christina Dodd

by Christina Dodd

Storm of Visions
3 Stars
Synopsis:
The Chosen are men and women destined to use their powers for either good or evil. Jacqueline Vargha has always rejected her gift but now that Caleb D'Angelo has forced his way into her life, she can no longer deny her destiny.

Review:
An intelligent premise and an intricately constructed world. Nevertheless, it was difficult to get into the story and I eventually read it on my second attempt.

The beginning is very appealing and pulls you right in but the plot starts to lag once the Chosen Ones get together. It eventually picks up just past the middle and the ending is action packed. One of the most entertaining aspects is the sabotage subplot, which has enough red herrings to keep you guessing right up until the end. The paranormal elements are subtly woven into the characterization and the fact that each member of the Chosen Ones has their own unique ability is compelling.

Where Storm of Visions falls completely flat is with the romance, perhaps due to the fact that a large portion of the book is dedicated to world building rather than developing the relationship between the leads. In any case, Jacqueline and Caleb do have chemistry but this fails to compensate for their inability to make me care about them as a couple They both come off as cold and unfeeling, and it took too long for their backstory to be revealed (I might have liked them better if it had been forthcoming earlier). Jacqueline in particular is immature and annoying, and she does a sudden and inexplicable about face in terms of her feelings for Caleb that left me completely unconvinced.

The secondary characters fare a little better, and I am particularly interested in Samuel and Isabelle’s connection and in finding out the role of the “dead man” in subsequent books.

In sum, the writing is good and the underlying themes are interesting enough for me to continue reading the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
This is a Paranormal Romance Novel. It has a fresh approach to the genre basics. I really enjoyed the world building. The main characters are Jacqueline Vargha and Caleb D'Angelo. Jacqueline's adoptive mom is Zusane. Jacqueline is a Seer working at a vineyard at the opening of the book. Caleb is Zusane's bodyguard and has been working for Zusane since he was little.

In the beginning Jacqueline seemed to be a walking contradiction which was a little annoying. that being said, it was explained really well later in the book so I didn't have a problem with it after finishing. Jacqueline and Caleb have known each other for all there lives (just about). Caleb grew up working for her mom, so she was pretty much off limits. You can imagine how well that went. As a result of their past relationship Jacqueline doesn't really want much to do with Caleb when he shows up on her doorstep. It's almost predictable that my favorite character was Caleb, but I loved him just about from the start. He has the Italian bodyguard thing going for him. He never hid his feelings for Jacqueline and only left the first time because her mom (his boss) asked him to let her finish college. He was willing to do anything for her.

It was interesting to read about Jacqueline getting her visions. They were so real and well written. I can't think of any scenes that I didn't like. The writing was strong and smooth. Like I said before I liked the world building. The character dialog was believable. There were a few parts that I reread to make sure I understood it completely but that wasn't because I had to, it was because I wanted to. I was engulfed in the story completely and found some of the dialog made me laugh.
Example:
"Then I want to talk about what happened two years ago between us."
No way, mister. She rolled to the other side of the mattress and swung her feet off the bed. "You go ahead. I'll just go into the bathroom and shut the door."

I plan to continue the series. I don't normally recommend a series until I've read more than one so that I can see how consistent the series is. So we'll see how the next one goes. ( )
  Krisrich85 | Oct 8, 2013 |
Very poor character development. Too many gaps and attention to worthless conversations. The storyline has good potential but she could not give it any depth or explanation. I did finish the book, so it gets two stars instead of one. She will not be someone I read again soon. ( )
1 vote lawn2000 | Feb 21, 2011 |
I made an attempt to read this book and put it down for awhile. I finally completed reading approx a month later after I had read other books in between. I found it difficult to read without clarifying up front the talents of so many different characters. I found the book to be too mysterious, jumped around all over the place and did not make too much sense. When I started reading the second, I gathered more of an interest. I enjoyed how the book ended and am curious enough to read the second book. look forward to seeing whether or not the plot becomes clearer in the second book ( )
1 vote Chandra-of-Red | Jan 24, 2011 |
The Chosen series by Christina Dodd is good. How good? I read the first four in four days.

The contemporary concept is completely original in this world of cookie cutter paranormal romances. I liked it! The heroes, while not exactly normal like you and me, deal with some fairly normal issues not just pertaining to the paranormal world. How often do we see the hero overcome their doubts, get the girl and save the day? All the damn time. But is that real? Not to me. Floored, I read how the characters fight not only bad guys but themselves as well as they struggle to save the day. I loved it and you will too! ( )
  Tieras | Nov 29, 2010 |
Jacqueline Vargha dug her corkscrew out of her jeans and, with an expert twist and pull, opened another bottle of Blue Oak wines.  The tasting room hummed with the conversation of two dozen happy tourists-happy because everyone was engaged in sampling some of the best cabernet sauvignon in the valley.

"Jacqueline Vargha has always run from her gift. Now Caleb D'Angelo forces his way into her life, demands his place as her lover, and insists she take her place as one of the Chosen. She flees, he pursues, but she can no longer deny her visions, or the dangerous man who is her downfall -- and her destiny" -- from author's web site.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,181,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible