The stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore

The stupidest Angel (original 2004; edition 2008)

by Christopher Moore

Member:PersephonesLibrary
Title:The stupidest Angel
Authors:Christopher Moore
Info:Little brown (2008), Paperback, 256 Seiten
Rating:***
Tags:21th, english, novel, brain candy, read in 2012

The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror by Christopher Moore (2004)

Recently added byHeathDAlberts, Irena., private library, sladdusaw, dm13, vrullan

English (34)  Spanish (2)  All languages (36)
Lovely Pine Cove is blessed by another visit from the supernatural realms. Very funny.
  ritaer | Apr 28, 2014 |
Goofy and inconsequential, but altogether entertaining. ( )
  unsquare | Feb 6, 2014 |
Lena and her ex-husband, Dale, have a very public argument only a few days before Christmas and soon after, Dale in a Santa costume is found dead. It was Lena who killed him (I don't think this is a spoiler as it happens almost right away at the start or the book), and unfortunately a young boy happened to witness “Santa” being killed with a shovel. The rest of the book not only follows Lena, but other characters in the town of Pine Cove, California.

I listened to the audio, and it started off funny, but it lost its lustre not far into it. Being the audio, I did miss some of it, as I would lose focus. It was ok, but definitely not Moore's best. ( )
  LibraryCin | Dec 4, 2013 |
Thoroughly funny. I admit I had a bit of an issue adapting to the manner in which it was written at first, but once I got used to it, the story became just adorably funny. I'm definitely eager to read more from [author: Christopher Moore]. ( )
  AshuritaLove | Apr 7, 2013 |
I can't even really say what this is about without giving anything away. Let's just say that the stupidest angel's mission to create a Christmas miracle goes horribly, hilariously awry in ways that only Christopher Moore could write about.

This wasn't quite as funny as I expected it to be, but I think since reading [b:A Dirty Job|33456|A Dirty Job|Christopher Moore|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1168444146s/33456.jpg|3258721] as my first Moore novel, my expectations for the rest have been unrealistically high. I still laughed all through the book though, and drove my husband crazy reading him funny quotes from the book that probably in all honesty made no sense out of context. The hubby's a good sport though, and laughed along with me.

Here's a sampling that will hopefully make sense without giving anything away.

"Dressed in their red suits and fake beards, {the Salvation Army Santas} rang their bells like they were going for dog-spit gold at the Pavlov Olympics."

"{A black lab} was crowding Gabe in the doorway, his beefy tail beating against the open door like a Snausage war drum."

"'Merry Christmas, you doomed sons a' bitches!' said Santa."

I wouldn't be surprised if Moore has spent his entire life waiting to write the book that goes with that last quote. It's just too funny!

If you're feeling a little overly-sugar-and-spiced, pick this book up for a nice change of pace. Just don't buy it for your grandmother. Christopher Moore warns you against that himself. ( )
  JG_IntrovertedReader | Apr 3, 2013 |

Christopher Mooreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Balducci, GiuliaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Christmas crept into Pine Cove like a creeping Christmas thing: dragging garland, ribbon, and sleigh bells, oozing eggnog, reeking of pine, and threatening festive doom like a cold sore under the mistletoe.
Christopher Moore's original novel (ISBN No. 0060590254), published in the U.S. as a hardcover with pale yellow dust jacket by William Morrow, NY (2004). Tthe "enhanced" Version 2.0 (ISBN No. 0060842350), published in the U.S. as a hardcover with red dust jacket by William Morrow, NY (2005), includes a short story that doesn't appear in the 2004 original. The Kindle Edition (2011) is described as having "Bonus Material." Please do not combine these editions, except where they have the same content.

'Twas the night (okay, more like the week) before Christmas, and all through the tiny community of Pine Cove, California, people are busy buying, wrapping, packing, and generally getting into the holiday spirit. It is the hap-hap-happiest time of the year, after all.

But not everybody is feeling the joy. Little Joshua Barker is in desperate need of a holiday miracle. No, he's not on his deathbed; no, his dog hasn't run away from home. But Josh is sure that he saw Santa take a shovel to the head, and now the seven-year-old has only one prayer: Please, Santa, come back from the dead.

But hold on! There's an angel waiting in the wings. (Wings, get it?) It's none other than the Archangel Raziel come to Earth seeking a small child with a wish that needs granting. Unfortunately, our angel's not sporting the brightest halo in the bunch, and before you can say "Kris Kringle," he's botched his sacred mission and sent the residents of Pine Cove headlong into Christmas chaos, culminating in the most hilarious and horrifying holiday party the town has ever seen.

Only Christopher Moore, the man who brought you the outrageous lost gospel Lamb and the hysterical fish tale Fluke could have devised a new holiday classic that tugs at the heartstrings and serves up a healthy slice of fruitcake to boot.

Move over, Charles Dickens -- it's Christopher Moore time.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:52 -0400)

Archangel Raziel has come to earth seeking a small child with a wish that needs granting. Unfortunately this angel's not sporting the brightest halo in the bunch.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,770,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible