The stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore

The stupidest Angel (original 2004; edition 2008)

by Christopher Moore

Member:PersephonesLibrary
Title:The stupidest Angel
Authors:Christopher Moore
Info:Little brown (2008), Paperback, 256 Seiten
Rating:***
Tags:21th, english, novel, brain candy, read in 2012

The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror by Christopher Moore (2004)

English (39)  Spanish (2)  All languages (41)
The Stupidest Angel is a humorous novel by Christopher Moore, set in his fictional town of Pine Cove. I wasn't aware until I was well into the book that it is technically part of a series, but I did not feel like I was missing much of anything by not having read the previous books; this book seems to stand up well enough on its own. It appears that while the Pine Cove books are interconnected, they are not necessarily strictly linear.

At its core, The Stupidest Angel is about a handful of people in this small town and how they react to the events going on around them. These people include Lena, a beautiful realtor who is in an embittered feud with Dale, her ex-husband and the town's "evil developer;" Theo, the small town's pot-smoking constable, and Molly, his mentally unstable wife who sometimes has difficulty distinguishing her real self from her B-list movie "Warrior Babe" persona; Tucker, Lena's new beau and self-described "geek in a cool guy's body;" and Gabe, Theo's heartbroken biologist friend. Also stalking the town is Raziel, an angel sent to perform a Christmas miracle, but who has such ridiculous social skills and understanding of humanity that he is doing a horrible job. Things get worse when Dale - dressed in Santa suit - ends up dead, and the kid Raziel corners wishes for Santa to come to life again. Raziel royally messes up this wish, resulting in the town having to come together to fight off the zombies he awakens.

Between the book's hilarious title and the description of it, I was really looking forward to reading this humorous book, expecting it to be hilarious. I was right ... and wrong. The characters of Tucker Case, Gabe Fenton, and Gabe's dog Skinner were all ridiculously funny. There were definitely some great witty lines in here and Moore can really skewer all kinds of social issues with some snarky comments. On more than one occasion, I found myself laughing out loud. However, these lines could have been better packaged - i.e., story itself could have been better. A lot of the story seemed to be build up to the zombies finally being raised, yet it still felt like some explanations were missing within all that introduction. I think it would have been good to learn more about Raziel's botched attempts to perform his Christmas miracle than of Molly's increasingly worsening mental breakdown. The zombie apocalypse part lead to a showdown battle scene(s) that dragged on a little too long for my taste (and for that of my book club members as well). The ending was perhaps a bit twee, but I did enjoy it and thought it was the best way to wrap up this story.

The audio book version featured Tony Roberts as the reader, who did a good job with the various voices and accents. However, I did not really appreciate his overall reading. I felt that the tone he used for much of the narration (a rather monotone one in my opinion) did not give the book - and its humor - much justice. It was as though I was finding the book funny despite his efforts to remain bland. Other reviews (professional and lay) indicate otherwise, but my two cents is that I would have preferred a different reader. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Dec 28, 2014 |
Bawdy, batty and bizarre, just like any Moore book. Very entertaining, with Tony Roberts giving an excellent reading. ( )
  wdwilson3 | Sep 30, 2014 |
Lovely Pine Cove is blessed by another visit from the supernatural realms. Very funny.
  ritaer | Apr 28, 2014 |
Goofy and inconsequential, but altogether entertaining. ( )
  unsquare | Feb 6, 2014 |
Lena and her ex-husband, Dale, have a very public argument only a few days before Christmas and soon after, Dale in a Santa costume is found dead. It was Lena who killed him (I don't think this is a spoiler as it happens almost right away at the start or the book), and unfortunately a young boy happened to witness “Santa” being killed with a shovel. The rest of the book not only follows Lena, but other characters in the town of Pine Cove, California.

I listened to the audio, and it started off funny, but it lost its lustre not far into it. Being the audio, I did miss some of it, as I would lose focus. It was ok, but definitely not Moore's best. ( )
  LibraryCin | Dec 4, 2013 |

Christopher Mooreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Balducci, GiuliaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Christmas crept into Pine Cove like a creeping Christmas thing: dragging garland, ribbon, and sleigh bells, oozing eggnog, reeking of pine, and threatening festive doom like a cold sore under the mistletoe.
Christopher Moore's original novel (ISBN No. 0060590254), published in the U.S. as a hardcover with pale yellow dust jacket by William Morrow, NY (2004). Tthe "enhanced" Version 2.0 (ISBN No. 0060842350), published in the U.S. as a hardcover with red dust jacket by William Morrow, NY (2005), includes a short story that doesn't appear in the 2004 original. The Kindle Edition (2011) is described as having "Bonus Material." Please do not combine these editions, except where they have the same content.

'Twas the night (okay, more like the week) before Christmas, and all through the tiny community of Pine Cove, California, people are busy buying, wrapping, packing, and generally getting into the holiday spirit. It is the hap-hap-happiest time of the year, after all.

But not everybody is feeling the joy. Little Joshua Barker is in desperate need of a holiday miracle. No, he's not on his deathbed; no, his dog hasn't run away from home. But Josh is sure that he saw Santa take a shovel to the head, and now the seven-year-old has only one prayer: Please, Santa, come back from the dead.

But hold on! There's an angel waiting in the wings. (Wings, get it?) It's none other than the Archangel Raziel come to Earth seeking a small child with a wish that needs granting. Unfortunately, our angel's not sporting the brightest halo in the bunch, and before you can say "Kris Kringle," he's botched his sacred mission and sent the residents of Pine Cove headlong into Christmas chaos, culminating in the most hilarious and horrifying holiday party the town has ever seen.

Only Christopher Moore, the man who brought you the outrageous lost gospel Lamb and the hysterical fish tale Fluke could have devised a new holiday classic that tugs at the heartstrings and serves up a healthy slice of fruitcake to boot.

Move over, Charles Dickens -- it's Christopher Moore time.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:52 -0400)

Archangel Raziel has come to earth seeking a small child with a wish that needs granting. Unfortunately this angel's not sporting the brightest halo in the bunch.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,858,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible