Het Diner by Herman Koch

Title:Het Diner
Authors:Herman Koch
Info:Anthos (2009), Hardcover

The Dinner by Herman Koch

2013 (48) Amsterdam (13) audiobook (14) brothers (14) crime (40) Dutch (67) Dutch literature (45) ebook (31) family (80) family relations (12) fiction (202) Holland (24) juvenile crime (12) Kindle (18) literature (20) murder (17) Nederland (12) Netherlands (45) novel (29) ouder-kind relatie (12) politics (20) read (25) read in 2013 (31) restaurants (33) Roman (55) suspense (14) thriller (21) to-read (58) translation (12) violence (34)
    Tirza by Arnon Grunberg (JustJoey4)
    JustJoey4: Wat ouderliefde met een mens kan doen...
    The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Both books center on a moral dilemma, both books feature unlikable characters behaving badly.
    The Circle by Dave Eggers (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Both of these are novels of ideas.
    The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: A first-person narration over a single long conversation with loads of backstory skillfully woven in.
    The Debt to Pleasure by John Lanchester (sturlington)
    sturlington: Similar dark subject matter and unreliable narrator.
    Bonita Avenue by Peter Buwalda (hste2011)
    The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling (julienne_preacher)
    Defending Jacob by William Landay (CarterPJ)

English (139)  Dutch (32)  Spanish (5)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (183)
This book somewhat reminds me of [Defending Jacob] but, a darker version, if that's possible. The storyline is set over the course of 1 dinner. 2 Brothers and their wives discuss a terrible, reprehensible secret and each of the adults deal with their decision on how to handle it. Told in the voice of Paul, who is struggling with the truth of seeing himself in his child and deciding to what extreme he is willing to go to cover-up for his son's actions. Disturbing, dark topic that surely will bring on a discussion of what would you do? ( )
  booklovers2 | Apr 13, 2014 |
Dark! There wasn't a character I walked away liking but wow, what a novel. May make you ask - what would you do for your child? ( )
  Mooose | Apr 12, 2014 |
I read this book in one sitting, which is pretty much the only way I would have been able to read it without giving up. Not that I thought the book was bad...it's just hard to swallow. None of these characters are likable. They do (and encourage the doing of) terrible things. The narrator, Paul, is not very forthcoming with a lot of details, which makes you wonder how reliable he is. And, while I am not a parent myself, I couldn't help but think how idiotic the 4 adults were in regards to their children.

Despite all this, I couldn't stop reading, and I can't stop thinking about it. I wouldn't say I enjoyed reading this book, but it definitely gave me a lot to think about. ( )
  kaylaraeintheway | Mar 31, 2014 |
Well-written, chilling novel of a how two families interact with each other and how they handle a heinous act of violence committed by their children. My heart aches for the parents, but also for the child and the nameless victim. The author spins his story so you see it from so many angles...who knows how I would act/react in any one character's place. Definitely food for thought in this novel. ( )
  obedah | Mar 26, 2014 |
horrible people doing horrible things and trying not to talk about it over a pretentious dinner. ( )
  mlanzotti | Mar 25, 2014 |
If you want to enjoy Herman Koch’s new novel, don’t read a single thing about it. To do so seriously reduces its power. Don’t read the blurbs on its dust jacket — an impressive list of authors that includes Gillian Flynn and S.J. Watson — nor the synopsis on the inside flap. Don’t even read this review. Actually, forget that — come back! It’s spoiler-free, I promise. . . . The Dinner is the kind of book I wish could be translated into English more often.
added by Nickelini | editNational Post, JC Sutcliffe (Feb 15, 2013)

The Dinner, a suspense novel by Herman Koch, has sold over a million copies since it was published in Europe in 2009, and it's not difficult to understand the appeal. It's fast-paced and riveting. Written in cool, detached prose (deftly translated from the Dutch by Sam Garrett), The Dinner is as theatrical and dramatic as a well-crafted play. It's also nasty. It starts off as social satire but shifts gears, and you find yourself in the middle of a horror story. . . . Mr. Koch delivers his revelations cleverly, by the spoonful. Issues of morality, responsibility and punishment are raised along the way, and a Pinteresque menace lurks under the surface. When savagery takes over, the reader is shocked. But some of Mr. Koch's conclusions are a bit too pat. In the end, the book sits on the digestion less like an over-indulgent "fine dining" experience than Chinese food, which, as we all know, leaves you feeling hungry a couple of hours later.

Welsh is intrigued by a novel reminiscent of The Slap and Carnage
added by Nickelini | editthe Guardian, Louise Welsh (Aug 17, 2012)

Herman Kochprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Garrett, SamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
NICE GUY EDDIE
C'mon, throw in a buck.
MR. PINK
Uh-huh, I don't tip.
NICE GUY EDDIE
Whaddaya mean, you don't tip?
MR PINK
I don't believe in it.

Quentin Tarantino
Reservoir Dogs
We were going out to dinner.
If I had to give a definition of happiness, it would be this: happiness needs nothing but itself; it doesn't have to be validated.
A fixed appointment for the immediate future is the gates of hell; the actual evening is hell itself.
The stupid woman is the one who thinks she doesn't need any help.
It's like a pistol in a stage play; when someone waves a pistol during the first act, you can bet your bottom dollar that someone will be shot with it before the curtain falls. That's the law of drama. The law that says no pistol must appear if no one's going to fire it.
Sometimes things come out of your mouth that you regret later on. Or no, not regret. You say something so razor-sharp that the person you say it to carries it around with them for the rest of their life.

Soap opera. Cast:
The Jukes family. (What's the
Dutch for 'OTT'?)

Two couples meet for dinner at a fashionable restaurant in Amsterdam. Behind their polite conversation, terrible things need to be said, and with every forced smile and every new course, the knives are being sharpened. Each couple has a fifteen-year-old son. The two boys are united by their accountability for a single horrific act; an act that has triggered a police investigation and shattered the comfortable, insulated worlds of their families. As the dinner reaches its culinary climax, the conversation finally touches on their children. As civility and friendship disintegrate, each couple show just how far they are prepared to go to protect those they love.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,412,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible