Het diner by Herman Koch

Title:Het diner
Authors:Herman Koch
Info:Amsterdam Anthos cop. 2009

The Dinner by Herman Koch

Recently added bybecbec912, doko, Tri-C, jonake, tipsy_writer, wesmrlnd, jfkrank, private library, megk11676, Havran
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (jayne_charles)
    The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Both books center on a moral dilemma, both books feature unlikable characters behaving badly.
    Tirza by Arnon Grunberg (JustJoey4)
    JustJoey4: Wat ouderliefde met een mens kan doen...
    We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver (INTPLibrarian)
    INTPLibrarian: Disturbed child and parents dealing with it. Both with twists / unexpected parts.
    The Debt to Pleasure: A Novel by John Lanchester (sturlington)
    sturlington: Similar dark subject matter and unreliable narrator.
    The Circle by Dave Eggers (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Both of these are novels of ideas.
    The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: A first-person narration over a single long conversation with loads of backstory skillfully woven in.
    Defending Jacob by William Landay (CarterPJ)
    Munich Airport (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Shares a sense of rising unease and the same style of narration, from close within the narrator's head.
    Bonita Avenue by Peter Buwalda (hste2011)
    The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling (julienne_preacher)

English (191)  Dutch (35)  Spanish (5)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (239)
This book had a strange hold on me. I honestly was not sure if I really liked the book as I read through the first half of it. In fact, I could complain about many pieces of the story. At the same time, I could not put it down. I needed to know what was going to become of the characters.
First of all, I had a strong dislike for the narrator of this story, Paul. He really struck a nerve with me because he complained about EVERYTHING. Every little detail brought a negative thought to his mind.
The entire story takes place in one night, at one restaurant in Amsterdam. But during this dinner, Paul recollects many different points of time in his life that help bring the story together.
We know, from the beginning, that there is a dark secret that Paul, his wife Claire, his brother Serge, and Serge’s wife, Babette, have come together to discuss. But the details of this secret do not come out until halfway through the book. AND, it takes even longer for them to get around to discussing it.
I don’t want to go into too much detail, as it will give away all the highlights of this book that make it worth reading all the way through. All I can say is don’t give up on this book too early. There are many twists to the plot that do not happen until much later in the book, but do make it worth finishing. ( )
  megk11676 | Sep 30, 2015 |
This book really sucks you in. After taking a break for a while, I felt the need to pick it up again.

The characters are very complex, and the author does a masterful job of weaving past and present into the fabric of the story. ( )
  grandpahobo | Sep 24, 2015 |
Fascinating story. Taut and gripping despite a lack of physical action. Builds slowly to a climax surrounding a horrible crime committed by two children. ( )
  VashonJim | Sep 5, 2015 |
@dinner ( )
  Lorem | Sep 4, 2015 |
If you've read The Dinner and want a place to talk about it with spoilers, we're discussing it over at The Socratic Salon.

The Dinner is what I wish every thriller would be, a brilliant work of building and restraint. While some have complained that the beginning is slow, I think that Koch establishes his characters perfectly - particularly with Paul's relateable, snarky comments. Once the "Main Course" started to fall into place, I read the second half of the book in one sitting. Shocking without being over the top or unbelievable, The Dinner deserves all of its bestselling praise. ( )
  rivercityreading | Aug 10, 2015 |
If you want to enjoy Herman Koch’s new novel, don’t read a single thing about it. To do so seriously reduces its power. Don’t read the blurbs on its dust jacket — an impressive list of authors that includes Gillian Flynn and S.J. Watson — nor the synopsis on the inside flap. Don’t even read this review. Actually, forget that — come back! It’s spoiler-free, I promise. . . . The Dinner is the kind of book I wish could be translated into English more often.
added by Nickelini | editNational Post, JC Sutcliffe (Feb 15, 2013)
The Dinner, a suspense novel by Herman Koch, has sold over a million copies since it was published in Europe in 2009, and it's not difficult to understand the appeal. It's fast-paced and riveting. Written in cool, detached prose (deftly translated from the Dutch by Sam Garrett), The Dinner is as theatrical and dramatic as a well-crafted play. It's also nasty. It starts off as social satire but shifts gears, and you find yourself in the middle of a horror story. . . . Mr. Koch delivers his revelations cleverly, by the spoonful. Issues of morality, responsibility and punishment are raised along the way, and a Pinteresque menace lurks under the surface. When savagery takes over, the reader is shocked. But some of Mr. Koch's conclusions are a bit too pat. In the end, the book sits on the digestion less like an over-indulgent "fine dining" experience than Chinese food, which, as we all know, leaves you feeling hungry a couple of hours later.
"The Dinner” has been wishfully compared to Gillian Flynn’s “Gone Girl” (and enthusiastically endorsed by Ms. Flynn) for its blackhearted deviltry. But her book, with its dueling narrators, had two vicious but sympathetic voices. Her sneaky spouses were delectable in their evil genius. The Lohmans are indigestible.
added by sneuper | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Feb 6, 2013)
“The Dinner,” Herman Koch’s internationally popular novel, is an extended stunt. Mr. Koch confines his story to one fraught restaurant meal, where malice, cruelty, craziness and a deeply European malaise are very much on the menu. The four diners can leave the table occasionally, headed to the restrooms or the garden or the handy room of flashback memories. But mostly they sit and seethe at one another as a miserable night unfolds.
This book has been widely described as both thriller and chiller, but it really is neither.
But it’s the morality of the story that’s really sickening.
added by sneuper | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Feb 6, 2013)
Welsh is intrigued by a novel reminiscent of The Slap and Carnage
added by Nickelini | editthe Guardian, Louise Welsh (Aug 17, 2012)

Herman Kochprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Garrett, SamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
C'mon, throw in a buck.
Uh-huh, I don't tip.
Whaddaya mean, you don't tip?
I don't believe in it.

Quentin Tarantino
Reservoir Dogs
We were going out to dinner.
If I had to give a definition of happiness, it would be this: happiness needs nothing but itself; it doesn't have to be validated.
A fixed appointment for the immediate future is the gates of hell; the actual evening is hell itself.
The stupid woman is the one who thinks she doesn't need any help.
It's like a pistol in a stage play; when someone waves a pistol during the first act, you can bet your bottom dollar that someone will be shot with it before the curtain falls. That's the law of drama. The law that says no pistol must appear if no one's going to fire it.
Sometimes things come out of your mouth that you regret later on. Or no, not regret. You say something so razor-sharp that the person you say it to carries it around with them for the rest of their life.

Soap opera. Cast:
The Jukes family. (What's the
Dutch for 'OTT'?)

Meeting at an Amsterdam restaurant for dinner, two couples move from small talk to the wrenching shared challenge of their teenage sons' act of violence that has triggered a police investigation and revealed the extent to which each family will go to protect those they love.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,762,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible