Dreamfever by Karen Marie Moning

Member:dbhutch
Title:Dreamfever
Authors:Karen Marie Moning
Info:Delacorte Press (2009), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned (inactive)
Rating:*****
Tags:Dublin, Elves, Fae, Faerie, Fantasy, Fiction, Mac, Magic, Murder, Mystery, Paranormal, Series, Vampires, Dan, Beth, 2010, D2010, B2010, D2012, 2012

Dreamfever by Karen Marie Moning

Mac has been rescued from the Unseelie – and brought back to sanity by Barrons. But in the time she was being “cured”, the Unseelie has been free and the world has been devastated. The war is now global, Dublin is a shell of what it once was.

Mac has to do what she can to gather the survivors together to fight back, to stop the Sidhe-seers from sheltering and be ready to fight, to dig up whatever information she can find in their hidden archive

And, above all, to find the Sinsar dubh and stop the Lord Master.

Ok, let’s start with the big, yawning, horrible problem with this book.

At the end of the last book, Mac was captured by 4 “death-by-sex” fae. Fae who are super attractive (they literally make your eyes bleed to look at them) and produce lots of woo-woo lust. Mac was captured by them, she was raped by them, she became a Pri-ya. Which means a human who is addicted to sex. Mac stayed in this state for months, constantly craving sex and Barrons stepped in and “saved” her by having sex with her lust-addicted self. He raped her, repeatedly, constantly, for months. For her own good.

And don’t even start with any excuses of narrative necessity. All of this was under author control, it’s a story. Mac could have been cured by banana-flavoured blancmange and a Desperate Housewives marathon (especially if you wanted it to be a traumatic experience for her to recover from). The evil fae who kidnapped her could have tortured her, or just held her prisoner while the city fell apart, or just have shown her their true appearance which apparently breaks human minds – any of these could have been used to present Mac as being terrible wounded and needing Barrons to nurse her back to mental health (preferably without his healing rape), none of which would involve rape and all of which would have maintained exactly the same narrative.

The one semi-bright spot is Mac recognising that she has been raped and not downplaying it. But even this is dimmed by the fact she now finds Barrons even more sexually appealing than she did before he raped her. And then there’s Barrons himself – even if I accepted all the previous as narratively necessary (which I really really don’t), Barrons expecting Mac to be grateful is galling. Barrons repeatedly making nasty sarcastic comments about the time he raped her and the time she was gang raped – I have no words. How is that close to acceptable? How is that close to what any fractionally decent person would do? Why would he do this? Why should we not loathe him forever for TAUNTING Mac about raping her, over and over again?

That’s the first major issue, but it’s not the only one; just one that eclipses everything else. There’s Barrons – not only is Barrons irredeemable as a rapist and a man who taunts the victim – but he’s also an arsehole aside from that. He tells Mac nothing, he constantly expects her obedience but will not explain any relevant information to her – the prophecy, what he is, what they’re trying to do at any time, what he intends to do with the book – nothing. This desperate mysteriousness has gone above and beyond all tolerance now, in the fourth book, since I still know not one iota more than I knew in book one. Every interaction with him is a battle, everything about him seems designed to annoy. Not only do I not understand anyone liking this man, but I am bemused at the idea of not hating him. His withholding information is actively stalling the book and causing us to have random side plots (like going to visit a narcoleptic old woman and overhearing something her father said to try and get any indication of a prophecy).

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Oct 23, 2014 |
Another cliffhanger like this and I don't think my heart can't take much else. I don't know if it was better than the second...oh what am I blabbing about?! Of course it was! just that totally amazing beginning and that totally mind blowing ending made it all better. And I'm talking about a book that ended with Mac being a Pri-ya. AMAZING. Already starting with Shadowfever. ( )
  msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |
This series is so entertaining and such a quick read. I feel as though I just gorged myself on a huge bag of Halloween candy and now realize I won't get anymore until next year. OH NO!!! ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
This series hit my favorites shelf on this book. IT IS SOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!!! And I am so glad I don't have to wait for the final book to come out :) ( )
  Kanic | Apr 9, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

“Come back and fight, Mac!”

After a major set-back at the end of Faefever, Mac’s got a lot of work to do at the beginning of Dreamfever just so she can get back in the game. The first scenes of this novel, the fourth in Karen Marie Moning’s Fever series, are horrible and heart-wrenching and not at all how we were hoping things would turn out for Mac. It’s a real emotional blow for both Mac and the reader, but there’s a silver lining: we finally get some much-needed proof about Barrons’ character.

Once Mac gets her life back in order, things start moving fast and the tension never lets up. Dreamfever contains my favorite scenes of the series: when Mac gets lost in the “silvers.” Dreamfever ends with an incredibly cruel cliffhanger and I can’t imagine the agony that Moning fans were in when they read this book after publication and then had to wait for book 5! Fortunately, it’s out now. Trust me: you’ll want to have Shadowfever in hand because you will not be able to resist opening it immediately upon finishing Dreamfever.

For audiobook readers, I need to warn you that Joyce Bean, the narrator for the first three books in the Fever series, did not narrate the last two books. The new readers are Natalie Ross and Phil Gigante. Natalie Ross is a Texan and I actually liked her better than Joyce Bean as Mac (more authentic Southern accent) except that she changed the pronunciation of the names “V’lane” (to “Vuh-lane”) and Rowena (to “RO-win-uh”). It took me some time to adjust to Phil Gigante doing the male voices. Surprisingly, it worked well with Gigante saying the man’s line and Ross adding “said Barrons” (etc.) at the end. What was jarring, however, was that Gigante (who is actually one of my favorite readers) has a deep bass voice and he interpreted Barrons differently than Bean had, making Barrons occasionally sound like some sort of evil overlord caricature (especially when he laughed: “Muwahahaha”). I adjusted to the new voices, and I still enjoyed listening to this on audio, but I was disappointed about the switch… just so you know. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
I come here not to bury Dreamfever but to wonder at it. Who exactly is reading it and its earlier iterations? My mother, who consumes trashy hardcover bestsellers on a daily basis, declared it too junky “even for her.” It seems too weird and complicated to appeal to love-starved teenagers, but too cheesy and self-consciously “erotic” to appeal to the super-geeky ones. The recipes force me to assume the target audience is very strange housewives.

Some people are a force of nature. Like wind or water over stone, they reshape lives. This book is dedicated to Amy Berkower.
When I was in high school, I used to hate that Sylvia Plath poem where she talked about knowing the bottom, that she knew it with her great taproot and that it was what everybody else feared, but she didn't, because she'd been there.
I wasn't poised between stupid and testing my limits. Miles of uncharted stupid stretched on both sides of the line on which I stood.

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

They may have stolen my past, but I’ll never let them take my future.

When the walls between Man and Fae come crashing down, freeing the insatiable, immortal Unseelie from their icy prison, MacKayla Lane is caught in a deadly trap. Captured by the Fae Lord Master, she is left with no memory of who or what she is: the only sidhe-seer alive who can track the Sinsar Dubh, a book of arcane black magic that holds the key to controlling both worlds.

Clawing her way back from oblivion is only the first step Mac must take down a perilous path, from the battle-filled streets of Dublin to the treacherous politics of an ancient, secret sect, through the tangled lies of men who claim to be her allies into the illusory world of the Fae themselves, where nothing is as it seems—and Mac is forced to face a soul-shattering truth.

Who do you trust when you can’t even trust yourself?

Don’t miss the entire MacKayla Lane series:

• Book 1: Darkfever
• Book 2: Bloodfever
• Book 3: Faefever
• Book 4: Dreamfever
• Book 5: Shadowfever

Atlanta suburb resident MacKayla Lane discovers her ability to see into the realm of the Fae after the devastating murder of her sister and attracts the unwanted attention of Seelie, vampire, and human assassins.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,922,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible