Dreamfever by Karen Marie Moning

Member:dbhutch
Title:Dreamfever
Authors:Karen Marie Moning
Info:Delacorte Press (2009), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned (inactive)
Rating:*****
Tags:Dublin, Elves, Fae, Faerie, Fantasy, Fiction, Mac, Magic, Murder, Mystery, Paranormal, Series, Vampires, Dan, Beth, 2010, D2010, B2010, D2012, 2012

Dreamfever by Karen Marie Moning

Recently added byprivate library, ladyofbadgers, missa921, Debbie97462, atcolorado

This series is so entertaining and such a quick read. I feel as though I just gorged myself on a huge bag of Halloween candy and now realize I won't get anymore until next year. OH NO!!! ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
This series hit my favorites shelf on this book. IT IS SOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!!! And I am so glad I don't have to wait for the final book to come out :) ( )
  Kanic | Apr 9, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

“Come back and fight, Mac!”

After a major set-back at the end of Faefever, Mac’s got a lot of work to do at the beginning of Dreamfever just so she can get back in the game. The first scenes of this novel, the fourth in Karen Marie Moning’s Fever series, are horrible and heart-wrenching and not at all how we were hoping things would turn out for Mac. It’s a real emotional blow for both Mac and the reader, but there’s a silver lining: we finally get some much-needed proof about Barrons’ character.

Once Mac gets her life back in order, things start moving fast and the tension never lets up. Dreamfever contains my favorite scenes of the series: when Mac gets lost in the “silvers.” Dreamfever ends with an incredibly cruel cliffhanger and I can’t imagine the agony that Moning fans were in when they read this book after publication and then had to wait for book 5! Fortunately, it’s out now. Trust me: you’ll want to have Shadowfever in hand because you will not be able to resist opening it immediately upon finishing Dreamfever.

For audiobook readers, I need to warn you that Joyce Bean, the narrator for the first three books in the Fever series, did not narrate the last two books. The new readers are Natalie Ross and Phil Gigante. Natalie Ross is a Texan and I actually liked her better than Joyce Bean as Mac (more authentic Southern accent) except that she changed the pronunciation of the names “V’lane” (to “Vuh-lane”) and Rowena (to “RO-win-uh”). It took me some time to adjust to Phil Gigante doing the male voices. Surprisingly, it worked well with Gigante saying the man’s line and Ross adding “said Barrons” (etc.) at the end. What was jarring, however, was that Gigante (who is actually one of my favorite readers) has a deep bass voice and he interpreted Barrons differently than Bean had, making Barrons occasionally sound like some sort of evil overlord caricature (especially when he laughed: “Muwahahaha”). I adjusted to the new voices, and I still enjoyed listening to this on audio, but I was disappointed about the switch… just so you know. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
This woman and her goddamn cliff hangers! ( )
  LaurenKathryn | Mar 31, 2014 |
I am SO glad I have Shadowfever! ( )
  Steph1203 | Mar 14, 2014 |
I come here not to bury Dreamfever but to wonder at it. Who exactly is reading it and its earlier iterations? My mother, who consumes trashy hardcover bestsellers on a daily basis, declared it too junky “even for her.” It seems too weird and complicated to appeal to love-starved teenagers, but too cheesy and self-consciously “erotic” to appeal to the super-geeky ones. The recipes force me to assume the target audience is very strange housewives.

Some people are a force of nature. Like wind or water over stone, they reshape lives. This book is dedicated to Amy Berkower.
When I was in high school, I used to hate that Sylvia Plath poem where she talked about knowing the bottom, that she knew it with her great taproot and that it was what everybody else feared, but she didn't, because she'd been there.
I wasn't poised between stupid and testing my limits. Miles of uncharted stupid stretched on both sides of the line on which I stood.

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

They may have stolen my past, but I’ll never let them take my future.

When the walls between Man and Fae come crashing down, freeing the insatiable, immortal Unseelie from their icy prison, MacKayla Lane is caught in a deadly trap. Captured by the Fae Lord Master, she is left with no memory of who or what she is: the only sidhe-seer alive who can track the Sinsar Dubh, a book of arcane black magic that holds the key to controlling both worlds.

Clawing her way back from oblivion is only the first step Mac must take down a perilous path, from the battle-filled streets of Dublin to the treacherous politics of an ancient, secret sect, through the tangled lies of men who claim to be her allies into the illusory world of the Fae themselves, where nothing is as it seems—and Mac is forced to face a soul-shattering truth.

Who do you trust when you can’t even trust yourself?

Don’t miss the entire MacKayla Lane series:

• Book 1: Darkfever
• Book 2: Bloodfever
• Book 3: Faefever
• Book 4: Dreamfever
• Book 5: Shadowfever

Atlanta suburb resident MacKayla Lane discovers her ability to see into the realm of the Fae after the devastating murder of her sister and attracts the unwanted attention of Seelie, vampire, and human assassins.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,656,203 books! | Top bar: Always visible