Bindi Babes by Narinder Dhami
1209100,400 (3.26)None

3 English/Indian sisters get everything they want from their dad -- money, clothes, purses, etc.--because their mom died a year ago and the entire family refuses to talk about it. Then their auntie comes to live with them... ( )
  rfewell | Feb 5, 2014 |
Review by: Baby

Amber, Geena and Jazz try to marry off their Auntie when she moves in with them after their mom dies. It's really funny so read it!!!!
Review by: Kalli

Omigod, everyone has to read this!!!
Review by: Rinlae

I read this after I found this in the reviews and I have to say it's pretty good. A little, oh, shallow, but it was ok. hehheh, I lived. But seriously, it's nice and lighthearted.
Review by: Jonnie

Absolutely first rate and copper-bottomed, gentlemen! ( )
  bplteen | Apr 16, 2012 |
Bindi Babes is a story of three sisters who are dealing with the loss of their mother. The story is told by the middle sister Amber who is twelve. The eldest , Geena is almost fourteen and the youngest, Jazz is only eleven. Their mother died a year ago and Dad has driven himself into his work. The girls’ take care of themselves – they do their own homework, cook , clean and do the shopping. They are very spoiled by their father. Whenever they ask for something, no matter how outrageous, he gets it for them. Everyone at school, teachers and peers, like them and envy them. They are well educated, pretty and are all very talented and role models for their peers.

While things are going perfectly for the trio, Dad decides to send for his sister, from India, to help raise the girls. He does not tell the girls until the aunt is well on her way. They immediately start a plan to get rid of her. Things become worse when she begins to interfere in their lives. She immediately becomes the go between with their father. When the girls’ ask for things she talks him out of it. Auntie also gets involved in the lives’ of their neighbors, friends and store owners. From the viewpoint of the sisters, she is a meddler. On the other hand, the viewpoint of all others is that she is an asset. She is an encourager and always sees the best in people. Auntie also is very sensitive to other peoples’ needs.

The setting takes place in London. The girls’ attend a private school. Everything about the book is very realistic and can be related to easily. The girls’ try to get rid of the Aunt because she interferes with them and others think she is a blessing . I believe this is the only controversial thing in the book. The recommended age is 11 through 15. I think this is appropriate. There is no cursing in the book. ( I appreciated that fact) The issues that are brought up in the book is the death of a parent and how one family dealt with it. I believe the theme was that you need to give people a chance. Don’t jump to the negative conclusion that someone is out to get you. I felt sad for the aunt that she had such difficulty in the beginning but throughout the book she won them over.

I would definitely recommend this book to young readers.
  msu-kballard | Sep 20, 2009 |
I didn't realise until I started reading this book that the author is the same that wrote Bend It Like beckham (haven't read the book, but loved the movie). This book was cute and amusing. Nothing stellar, and the twists and turns had all the subtlety of green corduray. it was a pleasant, quiet read, and I will pick up the next in the series to see where it's going. ( )
  kikilon | Mar 31, 2009 |
Reviewed October 23, 2007 on 52n52.blogspot.com. ( )
  emamun | Nov 12, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440420199, Paperback)

Meet Amber, Jazz, and Geena Dhillon—a.k.a. the Bindi Babes. They’re three fabulous sisters with a reputation for being the coolest, best-dressed girls at their school. But their classmates don’t know that the Dhillon sisters work extra hard to look perfect and together to all of their friends . . . while privately trying not to think how much they miss their mom, who died a year ago. What these struggling sisters certainly don’t need is an interfering auntie from India inviting herself into their household to cramp their style. Unfortunately, that’s exactly what their dad allows to happen.

Soon the sisters’ pushover dad is saying no to designer clothes and expensive sneakers, and Auntie is butting into every area of their lives. What are the Bindi babes to do? There’s only one way to be rid of Auntie: marry her off to some unsuspecting guy. Will Amber, Jazz, and Geena find a man who can put up with Auntie before she completely ruins their lives? Or are Auntie’s new rules doomed to make the fabulous Dhillon sisters just . . . average?

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:13 -0400)

Three Indian-British sisters team up to marry off their traditional, nosy aunt and get her out of the house.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,672,289 books! | Top bar: Always visible