Vegan Soul Kitchen: Fresh, Healthy, and…

Vegan Soul Kitchen: Fresh, Healthy, and Creative African-American Cuisine

by Bryant Terry

I lived in the deep south for 15+ years, including 8 years in New Orleans. To think, I spent that entire time believing that I didn’t like soul food. It was too meat-heavy. Grits tasted like paste (I thought). And collard greens were slimy and gross. As it turns out, I was both right and wrong. Soul food is often meat-heavy, but it doesn't have to be. I didn’t like instant grits, but fresh, well-sourced grits cooked properly are delicious (I’ve found a great place in South Carolina that ships them). And collard greens are slimy and gross, when they’re overcooked or otherwise not prepared correctly, but they can also be delectable when thrown into a gratin or a hearty gumbo.

Discovering Bryant Terry’s Vegan Soul Kitchen was like an awakening for me. All those foods that I thought would just never be a part of my repertoire are suddenly fixtures in my kitchen. We don’t cook with this book every night – we’re lucky if we use it once a week. Largely, that’s due to how complex and time-consuming many of the recipes are. And despite his attempts to tamp down the fat, many of the recipes are also still very high-calorie, which makes these meals more appropriate as once in a while treats rather than weeknight staples. Despite these caveats, though, we love this book. Savory Triple-Corn Grits and Cajun-Creole-Spiced Tempeh Pieces with Creamy Grits turn out to be two of my favorites, as are his Fried Green Tomatoes with Creamy Celeriac Sauce and Gumbo Z. For each recipe, there is a little narrative, and also a suggested soundtrack. The music recommendations are some of my favorites – often they bring me back to New Orleans, but they always put me in the mood for some good food. We have yet to try everything in here, but we’re steadily working our way through, and I can’t think of a single recipe we’ve tried that has been a disappointment. Perhaps best of all is that these recipes are completely different from anything else we make, so we can always count on VSK for a refreshing change of pace. ( )
1 vote philosojerk | Jul 21, 2014 |
I haven't yet gotten around to reviewing this cookbook - but you can see some of the dishes I've made from Vegan Soul Kitchen here: http://www.easyvegan.info/tag/vegan-soul-kitchen/
  smiteme | Oct 14, 2013 |
One of the best cookbooks out there. Great, easy, tasty and healthy vegan recipes. Everything I've made has been a knock-out. His citrus collard greens have converted many a collard green hater, and for a veggie Thanksgiving, nothing satisfies like the seitan medallions with mushroom gravy. It's worth it to follow all his steps because his techniques ensure everything turns out stunning. A must-own for anyone wanting healthy vegetable-based fare.
  evforija | Apr 29, 2013 |
This book was not written for a kitchen novice like myself, so I'm refraining from rating it. I love to eat good food, but don't have the time to spend on most of these many-step recipes. That said, the ones that I did try came out *amazing* (although I have yet to figure out how to make my crispy okra strips *look* as good as they taste).
  VikkiLaw | Apr 4, 2013 |
Lots of great soul food recipes in this cookbook. Some of them are time consuming and require ingredients I don't normally keep around, but some are definitely worth going out to the grocery store for. This cookbook is good enough that I'm considering asking for a copy for Christmas. ( )
1 vote lemontwist | Dec 28, 2009 |

The mere mention of soul food brings thoughts of greasy fare and clogged arteries. Bryant Terry offers recipes that leave out heavy salt and refined sugar, “bad” fats, and unhealthy cooking techniques, and leave in the down-home flavor. Vegan Soul Kitchen recipes use fresh, whole, high-quality, healthy ingredients and cooking methods with a focus on local, seasonal, sustainably raised food.

Terry’s new recipes have been conceived through the prism of the African Diaspora—cutting, pasting, reworking, and remixing African, Caribbean, African-American, Native American, and European staples, cooking techniques, and distinctive dishes to create something familiar, comforting, and deliciously unique. Reinterpreting popular dishes from African and Caribbean countries as well as his favorite childhood dishes, Terry reinvents African-American and Southern cuisine—capitalizing on the complex flavors of the tradition, without the animal products.

Includes recipes for: Double Mustard Greens & Roasted Yam Soup; Cajun-Creole-Spiced Tempeh Pieces with Creamy Grits; Caramelized Grapefruit, Avocado, and Watercress Salad with Grapefruit Vinaigrette; and Sweet Cornmeal-Coconut Butter Drop Biscuits.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:35 -0400)

In this cutting-edge cookbook, eco-chef Bryant Terry offers innovative recipes that use fresh, whole, best-quality, healthy ingredients and cooking techniques with an eye on local, sustainably grown food.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,447,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible