Caffeine Blues: Wake Up to the Hidden…

Caffeine Blues: Wake Up to the Hidden Dangers of America's #1 Drug

by Stephen Cherniske

Disclaimers: I love coffee, but I'm anti-caffeine, so I was already biased coming into this book. Much of what Cherniske writes in here is confirmed in other research I've read, but it's good to see it all compiled in one place. He discusses not only the obvious effects of caffeine, like the jitters or insomnia, but also the culminative effects and the issues created for people who have pre-existing health issues like diabetes. He also points out all the ways we consume caffeine -- it's not just the obvious items like coffee, but also in "decaffeinated" coffee and tea, and in chocolate. Most helpfully, Cherniske provides lots of advice for getting caffeine out the reader's life, like alternative drinks that are naturally caffeine free. My only issue with the book is that sometimes Cherniske is over the top in his assertions and language. At one point, he compares people who drink caffeinated beverages to people who use illegal drugs. He specifically states that he sees no distinction between the two groups. Of course, this book will probably call out most to people like me who are already aware of some of the issues with caffeine and thereby misses its target audience of everyone else. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Oct 17, 2010 |
I didn’t think I consumed much caffeine until this book opened my eyes to the fact that there is quite a lot of caffeine in tea, not just coffee and other known sources. My many teas a day habit was contributing to my mood swings. I quit tea and coffee cold turkey (in 2006) and boy did I have a headache for a few days. It is recommended that you reduce your intake gradually but I am a bit of an all or nothing girl so just got it over with. It was worth it, I discovered that it’s possible to go to bed and just fall asleep – I thought it was normal to toss and turn for a few hours first. I discovered that ones mood can hold steady through the day and doesn’t need to plummet down and then be “fixed” up by the next drink of tea or coffee.
I drank various herbal teas for a while when I quit but now I pretty much just drink rooibus (redbush) a naturally caffeine free tea that, to me, tastes sweet without milk or sugar.
  Libbeth | Oct 19, 2008 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446673919, Paperback)

Get ready to give up that morning latte and kiss cola goodbye. Here comes Caffeine Blues, by Stephen Cherniske, M.S., the first book to expose the dark side of America's No. 1 drug: caffeine. If you are one of the nearly 80 percent of Americans hooked on caffeine--a natural component of coffee, tea, and chocolate and a common ingredient in drugs, soda, candy, and other products--this book will be a wake-up call.

In Caffeine Blues, Cherniske, a nutritional biochemist with more than 25 years of academic research and clinical experience and author of the bestseller The DHEA Breakthrough, reveals the truth about caffeine and explains how to kick the habit forever. Cherniske discusses how caffeine affects the body and brain and why it can increase your risk of dozens of health disorders ranging from osteoporosis, diabetes, and PMS to hypertension and heartburn. After spending 300 pages documenting all of caffeine's evils, Cherniske finally offers a decaffeinated life line: "Off the Bean and on to Vitality," a step-by-step, clinically proven program to help readers kick the habit and boost energy levels naturally. --Ellen Albertson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:43 -0400)

Reveals how this natural amphetamine wreaks havoc upon the body by increasing the risk of certain kinds of cancer, PMS, heart disease, and ulcers, and includes strategies for reducing caffeine intake and increasing energy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,637,572 books! | Top bar: Always visible