One by Kathryn Otoshi

Bullies never win. It only takes ONE individual to stand up, be brave, and make a big difference for all. This story has a great message for young readers about appreciating our differences and standing up for what you believe in. ( )
  kbengtson | Jan 24, 2019 |
I liked this book for two reasons. First, the writing was very well done. I liked that the author incorporated several puns and plays on words. For example, after each color stands up to Red, they change into a number. Before Bule changes into the number one, he says "I, for One, stand up and say no." I also liked this book because of the characters and the growth that they show. Red, the bully in the story, eventually changes his attitude after talking to the other colors and he changes his ways. The other colors forgive him and befriend him. I liked the bravery that One showed by being the first to stand up to Red and being a role model for the other characters. The message of this book is that it only takes one person to stand up to a bully and make them change their behavior. ( )
  GraceSommers | Sep 24, 2018 |
"One" is a unique display of overcoming bullying. The characters in this book take the form of colors, and each has their own special personality. Red is the biggest and bullies all of the other colors, especially Blue. The other colors notice that Red is picking on Blue and try to comfort him, but none of them know how to stand up to Red. Soon, Red grew bigger and bigger and scared all of the colors! They all coward in fear, until One came along. One stood up to Red and showed the colors that they could too. Soon the colors turned into numbers themselves and ALL stood up to the big bully Red. Realizing the colors had taken a stand against him made Red feel very very small. Suddenly Blue, now 6, called out to Red and told him that he could count too. Red, leaving behind his bully ways, turned into 7 and joined the rest!

We see the colors go from being absolutely terrified to stop Red from bullying them, to coming together to take him on. We also see Red's character change once everyone takes a stand against him. All of the colors forgive him, and he becomes one of them. I love the last line of this book. "Sometimes all it takes is One." It really does only take one person's courage to stand up for something to get other people to take action and stand up too. ( )
  T.Spears | Sep 13, 2017 |
I think this is a fun book for effective questioning. This simple book offers a powerful message, with a blue color circle is bullied by a mean red circle. Finally, the number one stands up for little blue and everyone learns a lesson about being nice - to your friends AND your enemies! This picture book uses colors as characters in this allegory about friendship and bullying. Preschool -3rd grade
  brittneye | Aug 22, 2017 |
I loved this book. I liked how it was about bullying. The topic of bullying was brought up in such a flawless way. I will have this book in my future library. ( )
  Phallan | Apr 26, 2017 |

Such a simple message, we all count….it’s okay to be different and no one should be bullied because they are unique.  I love how the author builds her simple point; the illustration is perfectly matched to the message!  This book is a keeper!

Blue is a quiet color. Red’s a hothead who likes to pick on Blue. Yellow, Orange, Green, and Purple don’t like what they see, but what can they do? When no one speaks up, things get out of hand — until One comes along and shows all the colors how to stand up, stand together, and count. As budding young readers learn about numbers, counting, and primary and secondary colors, they also learn about accepting each other's differences and how it sometimes just takes one voice to make everyone count.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:57 -0400)

A number/color book reminding us that it just takes one to make everyone count.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,755,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible