Travels with Herodotus (Vintage…

Travels with Herodotus (Vintage International) (original 2004; edition 2008)

by Ryszard Kapuscinski, Klara Glowczewska (Translator)

Member:tim86
Title:Travels with Herodotus (Vintage International)
Authors:Ryszard Kapuscinski
Other authors:Klara Glowczewska (Translator)
Info:Vintage Books USA (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 275 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:memoir

Travels with Herodotus by Ryszard Kapuściński (2004)

English (22)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (25)
I discovered Kapuscinski many years ago through an issue of Granta and told myself I must read more... Not disappointed by this one, though I approached it with some trepidation, thanks to the dreadful Mr Kilner, my soporific history teacher at grammar school when I was 12, when Ancient Greece was on the curriculum. If only we could have had someone like Kapuscinski, who highlights all the juicy bits. Here he relates his early travels as a reporter, sent out raw from Poland to China, Africa and elsewhere, always accompanied by The Histories, which inspired and intrigued him. The writing flows from his pen like an easy-running stream, brilliantly translated (one would never guess it is a translation). Next time I travel I will go with Kapuscinski.
This edition (Folio Society) is illustrated with the author's black and white photos. For some reason, American spelling is used, and there are several typos, which I always find annoying in these "fine" editions. ( )
  overthemoon | Jul 11, 2014 |

A wonderful read, part reading memoir and part life memoir. Kapuscinksi was a foreign correspondent from Poland and I thought at first it would be more about that but became more and more about his fascination with reading Herodotus during his travels. I'm not sure which bit I enjoyed more, it was all interesting and thoughtful and suprising. Thanks, Patricia, for reccomending it.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
Travels with Herodotus is famed Polish foreign correspondent Kapuściński's tale of his early travels around India, China, and Africa, and the copy of the Histories Herodotus that accompanied him. Beginning as a young graduate in Communist Warsaw who tells his supervisor that one day he'd like to go to Czechoslovakia and ends up in India, the story continues through his time in Africa when he finally figures out how to be a journalist. Paralleling this storyline is that of Herodotus and his travels and investigations of the various peoples of the Mediterranean. This device works remarkably well, but then again Herodotus is an excellent tale in itself.

For those who like interesting travel memoirs, are interested in journalism or the stories of Herodotus. Highly recommended. ( )
  inge87 | May 30, 2014 |
Kapuscinski writes of his travels in the 1960s and 1970s, with an old Polish translation of "The Histories." The book accompanied him in lands that were described by or at least referenced by, Herodotus. His travel memoirs were mildly interesting. Portions about Herodotus, even just long transcriptions of "The Histories", were magical. ( )
  Sandydog1 | Mar 22, 2014 |
Posthumously published memoirs by the renowned Polish journalist, I found I couldn't quiet warm up to this book. When the author is giving us biographical stories and details, its interesting, though there really isn't a whole lot of that here. Where he is essentially summarizing passages from Herodotus (which he does a lot of) it is again interesting but more than anything actually makes me want to pick up Herodotus! And then there is the mixed bag of ruminations and generalisations on life, the world and human nature which he derives from the passages in Herodotus which are occasionally intriguing, but more often, not. I much preferred [Shadow of the Sun] which I read last year. ( )
  iftyzaidi | Jan 1, 2012 |

Ryszard Kapuścińskiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Glowczewska, KlaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Was inspired by

I am like one of those old books that ends up moldering for lack of having been read. There's nothing to do but spin out the thread of memory and, from time to time, wipe away the dust building up there. - Seneca
All memory is present. - Novalis
We are, all of us, pilgrims who struggle along different paths toward the same destination. - Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Before Herodotus sets out on all his travels, ascending rocky paths, sailing a ship over the seas, riding on horseback through the wilds of Asia; before he happens upon the mistrustful Scythians, discovers the wonders of the Nile, before he experiences a hundred different places and sees a thousand inconceivable things, he will appear for a moment in a lecture on ancient Greece, which Professor Biezunska-Malowist delivers twice weekly to the first-year students in Warsaw University's department of history.

From renowned journalist Ryszard Kapu?ci?ski comes this intimate account of his years in the field, traveling for the first time beyond the Iron Curtain to India, China, Ethiopia, and other exotic locales. This is an exceptional chronicle of one man's journey across continents. - Publisher.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,651,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible