Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Great Expectations (1861)

by Charles Dickens

22,51925356 (3.91)2 / 1123
Romans (16)
    Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: Mister Pip explores the reading and interpretation of Great Expectations in a late 20th century South Sea island culture in the midst of a civil war.
    Bleak House by Charles Dickens (Booksloth)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (Maiasaura)
    The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: Thursday Next is a Literary Detective who helps to keep people from changing plots in books, keep book characters from escaping etc. When she goes in for training, who should she be apprenticed to but Miss Havisham who is more than happy to get out of her dreary rooms once and a while. What larks!… (more)
    Adam Bede by George Eliot (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: If you enjoyed the 'good hard working pastoral theme' of his uncle and their 'Larks' you may enjoy Adam Bede which has many of the same themes.
    Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (Johanna11)
    Johanna11: Both books write about people with expectations for their future, both are very well written at the end of the nineteenth century.
    Dombey and Son by Charles Dickens (Booksloth)
    Jack Maggs by Peter Carey (suzanney)
    Drood by Dan Simmons (caittilynn)
    The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: Great Expectations and Bonfire of the Vanities can be successfully tied together in that both the authors explore the themes of ostentation, ambition and morality
    An Unofficial Rose by Iris Murdoch (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: In der Einleitung zu "an unofficial rose" von Anthony D. Nuttall wird Dickens als Vergleich herangezogen: "An Unofficial Rose is indeed a surprisingly Dickensian novel, crowded, superabundant."
    Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (krizia_lazaro)

English (245)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (252)
A book about a young orphan, taken in by his aunt, then whisked off into the world of the upper class. Pip's meeting with a criminal jars him into a plot that has rather great expectations for him. Will he fulfill said expectations? Read the book, this is a review saying it was worth it. PS- once you get into the hang of Dickens' writing, it becomes quite fun to read his books. He has a witty wit. ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 14, 2014 |
I had to read this for a literature course and did so most unwillingly, but in the end I quite enjoyed it. I think I must have seen a TV adaptation of this as a child, because some of the big events/reveals didn't come as a surprise to me. It seems a but redundant to critique Dickens, but I liked the humour, the characters of Pip and Joe, Mr Wemmick's absurd home life and the ending. ( )
1 vote pgchuis | Aug 22, 2014 |
Whew, boy... it took nearly a month to get through this pile of pages!

I liked most of this book. It does bog down in the middle, but once we get to the third stage of Pip's expectations, well... the book explodes! I went from dragging my way through the pages to eagerly anticipating my next reading session.

Of course, reading sessions are harder to come by when I read Dickens. I am getting better at it, but there is no avoiding that Dickens's writing is dense, and if I get tired (or lazy) and start skimming, I'm liable to miss someone getting hit by a train. So, I often have to put aside my book in favor of sleep...

This is the third of my Dickens Plan. Each year, one Dickens. I'll be nearing retirement by the time I finish!

So, a quick list of thoughts about Great Expectations:
* Pip bugged me at first, but he doesn't stay a complete prig.
* The Tickler cracks me up.
* Joe. Oh, poor, sweet, good Joe. He's my favorite.
* Herbert is pretty wonderful, too.

Dickens writes good characters. I'm looking forward to my 2015 installment. ( )
1 vote ThePortPorts | Aug 18, 2014 |
Magnificent, of course. Mr. Dickens is amazing. ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |
The perfect book to reread over the last couple of weeks, in some ways the most perfectly organized and executed of Dickens with virtually nothing that is superfluous (not that I would edit anything out of his other novels, except maybe Martin Chuzzlewit's trip to the United States). Also the most atypical in the lack of a heroic hero or a positive resolution. But, like all Dickens, even the minor characters have more life in them than the major characters in most other novelists (witness Trabb's boy) and the range is extraordinary, from village to town and city, from low to high society, from comedy to drama to melodrama and a tiny bit of romance. ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

Affectionately Inscribed
to
Chauncy Hare Townshend
My father's family name being Pirrip, and my christian name Philip, my infant tongue could make of both names nothing longer or more explicit than Pip. So, I called myself Pip, and came to be called Pip.
Neither were my notions of the theological positions to which my Catechism bound me, at all accurate; for, I have a lively remembrance that I supposed my declaration that I was to "walk in the same all the days of my life," laid me under an obligation always to go through the village from our house in one particular direction, and never to vary it by turning down by the wheelwright's or up by the mill.
...a money-box was kept on the kitchen mantel-shelf, in to which it was publicly made known that all my earnings were dropped. I have an impression that they were to be contributed eventually towards the liquidation of the National Debt, but I know I had no hope of any personal participation in the treasure.
Mr. Wopsle's great-aunt kept an evening school in the village; that is to say, she was a ridiculous old woman of limited means and unlimited infirmity, who used to go to sleep from six to seven every evening, in the society of youth who paid two pence per week each, for the improving opportunity of seeing her do it.
I had little objection to his being seen by Herbert or his father, for both of whom I had a respect; but I had the sharpest sensitiveness as to his being seen by Drummle, whom I held in contempt. So, throughout life, our worst weaknesses and meannesses are usually committed for the sake of the people whom we most despise.  (Chapter XXVII)
"Oh! I have a heart to be stabbed in or shot in, I have no doubt," said Estella, "and of course if it ceased to beat I should cease to be. But you know what I mean. I have no softness there, no--sympathy--sentiment--nonsense."
This is the main work for Great Expectations. It should not be combined with any adaptation, abridgement, etc. If this is your book but it is an abridged or adapted version, consider changing the isbn to match your version so that it can be combined with the correct abridgement or adaptation.
One of the finest novels by iconic British author Charles Dickens, this Victorian tale follows the good-natured orphan Pip as he makes his way through life. As a boy, Pip crosses paths with a convict named Magwitch, a man who will heavily influence Pip’s adulthood. Meanwhile, the earnest young man falls for the beautiful Estella, the adoptive daughter of the affluent and eccentric Miss Havisham. Widely considered to be Dickens's last great book, the story is steeped in romance and features the writer's familiar themes of crime, punishment, and societal struggle.
Characters stick in
my memory: Estella,
Joe, Miss H. And yours?
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439564, Paperback)

An absorbing mystery as well as a morality tale, the story of Pip, a poor village lad, and his expectations of wealth is Dickens at his most deliciously readable. The cast of characters includes kindly Joe Gargery, the loyal convict Abel Magwitch and the haunting Miss Havisham. If you have heartstrings, count on them being tugged.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:39 -0400)

Great Expectations is at once a superbly constructed novel of spellbinding mastery and a profound examination of moral values. Here, some of Dickens's most memorable characters come to play their part in a story whose title itself reflects the deep irony that shaped Dickens's searching reappraisal of the Victorian middle class.… (more)

Nine editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439564, 0141023538, 0451531183, 014104036X, 0141330139, 0143106279, 0141198893, 0141392592, 0143123793

Coffeetown Press

An edition of this book was published by Coffeetown Press.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

Two editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1449875327, 1449875335

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,708,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible