Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Great Expectations (original 1861; edition 2001)

by Charles Dickens

25,59229944 (3.91)3 / 1527
Member:vancouverdeb
Title:Great Expectations
Authors:Charles Dickens
Info:Dover Publications (2001), Edition: Unabridged, Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, 1001 books to read before you die
Rating:****1/2
Tags:British Literature, fiction, Victorian, classics, coming of age, social class, values

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (1861)

Bleak House by Charles Dickens (Booksloth)
    Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: Mister Pip explores the reading and interpretation of Great Expectations in a late 20th century South Sea island culture in the midst of a civil war.
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (Maiasaura)
    The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: Thursday Next is a Literary Detective who helps to keep people from changing plots in books, keep book characters from escaping etc. When she goes in for training, who should she be apprenticed to but Miss Havisham who is more than happy to get out of her dreary rooms once and a while. What larks!… (more)
    Adam Bede by George Eliot (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: If you enjoyed the 'good hard working pastoral theme' of his uncle and their 'Larks' you may enjoy Adam Bede which has many of the same themes.
    The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: Great Expectations and Bonfire of the Vanities can be successfully tied together in that both the authors explore the themes of ostentation, ambition and morality
    Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (Johanna11)
    Johanna11: Both books write about people with expectations for their future, both are very well written at the end of the nineteenth century.
    Jack Maggs by Peter Carey (suzanney)
    Dombey and Son by Charles Dickens (Booksloth)
    Drood by Dan Simmons (caittilynn)
    The Princess Casamassima by Henry James (suniru)
    An Unofficial Rose by Iris Murdoch (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: In der Einleitung zu "an unofficial rose" von Anthony D. Nuttall wird Dickens als Vergleich herangezogen: "An Unofficial Rose is indeed a surprisingly Dickensian novel, crowded, superabundant."
    Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (krizia_lazaro)
Read (32)
Romans (16)

English (287)  Spanish (5)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All (298)
it was interesting. ( )
  RinHanase | Mar 11, 2017 |
This is a good read for Freshmen English students. This book explores the importance of loyalty, affection, and personal conscience, as compared to wealth or social upstanding. This is a good piece to study symbolism from. ( )
  alexishartline | Feb 5, 2017 |
5 reasons Great Expectations is a great novel

1. Pip’s journey It’s a great bildungsroman. At its heart it’s about Pip’s inner journey toward greater self-understanding and molding of his character. He does not get what he expects, but in the journey finds so many other things of greater value.

2. Enduring friendships For me one of the most touching themes is that of friendship - Pip’s and Joe’s and later on with Herbert Pocket. When Pip need his friends the most they do turn up by his side. And Pip will also himself be a true friend to an unexpected person.

3. Surprises, surprises You’re not aware of it, but slowly this “bildungsroman” turns into a tightly constructed mystery plot. The second half is full of surprising twists and turns.

4. Lessons on wealth Wealth is the vehicle in the story. Everything hinges on what people are in terms of class and money and “expectations”. I like that Pip finds happinness in “working for his profits” rather than living on someone else’s money.

5. A wealth of memorable characters You could mention this about any Dickens novel - but just think about Pip himself, Joe and Biddy, Miss Havisham, Estella, Jarvis, Wemming, Magwitch etc, etc. ( )
1 vote ctpress | Feb 4, 2017 |
I had little expectations going into this and it was just as I expected. Dickens's novels are just too wordy to keep my interest. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Feb 1, 2017 |
a young boy helps a convict and he in turns makes the boy's fortune later in life and in secret. It all comes to naught though and the convict dies and the boy, now a man, must make it on his own. I enjoyed this story, but the main character, except right at the end, is one of the typical gentlemen" of the times. Loose with money, miserable and doing anything to make that misery disappear. He is a shallow, selfish jerk. Redeemed at the end, but 20-30 pages against 430 doesn't do a whole lot." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

Affectionately Inscribed
to
Chauncy Hare Townshend
My father's family name being Pirrip, and my christian name Philip, my infant tongue could make of both names nothing longer or more explicit than Pip. So, I called myself Pip, and came to be called Pip.
Neither were my notions of the theological positions to which my Catechism bound me, at all accurate; for, I have a lively remembrance that I supposed my declaration that I was to "walk in the same all the days of my life," laid me under an obligation always to go through the village from our house in one particular direction, and never to vary it by turning down by the wheelwright's or up by the mill.
...a money-box was kept on the kitchen mantel-shelf, in to which it was publicly made known that all my earnings were dropped. I have an impression that they were to be contributed eventually towards the liquidation of the National Debt, but I know I had no hope of any personal participation in the treasure.
Mr. Wopsle's great-aunt kept an evening school in the village; that is to say, she was a ridiculous old woman of limited means and unlimited infirmity, who used to go to sleep from six to seven every evening, in the society of youth who paid two pence per week each, for the improving opportunity of seeing her do it.
I had little objection to his being seen by Herbert or his father, for both of whom I had a respect; but I had the sharpest sensitiveness as to his being seen by Drummle, whom I held in contempt. So, throughout life, our worst weaknesses and meannesses are usually committed for the sake of the people whom we most despise.  (Chapter XXVII)
"Oh! I have a heart to be stabbed in or shot in, I have no doubt," said Estella, "and of course if it ceased to beat I should cease to be. But you know what I mean. I have no softness there, no--sympathy--sentiment--nonsense."
This is the main work for Great Expectations. It should not be combined with any adaptation, abridgement, etc. If this is your book but it is an abridged or adapted version, consider changing the isbn to match your version so that it can be combined with the correct abridgement or adaptation.
One of the finest novels by iconic British author Charles Dickens, this Victorian tale follows the good-natured orphan Pip as he makes his way through life. As a boy, Pip crosses paths with a convict named Magwitch, a man who will heavily influence Pip’s adulthood. Meanwhile, the earnest young man falls for the beautiful Estella, the adoptive daughter of the affluent and eccentric Miss Havisham. Widely considered to be Dickens's last great book, the story is steeped in romance and features the writer's familiar themes of crime, punishment, and societal struggle. 384
Characters stick in
my memory: Estella,
Joe, Miss H. And yours?
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439564, Paperback)

An absorbing mystery as well as a morality tale, the story of Pip, a poor village lad, and his expectations of wealth is Dickens at his most deliciously readable. The cast of characters includes kindly Joe Gargery, the loyal convict Abel Magwitch and the haunting Miss Havisham. If you have heartstrings, count on them being tugged.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:50 -0400)

Great Expectations is at once a superbly constructed novel of spellbinding mastery and a profound examination of moral values. Here, some of Dickens's most memorable characters come to play their part in a story whose title itself reflects the deep irony that shaped Dickens's searching reappraisal of the Victorian middle class.… (more)

4 1901

9 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439564, 0141023538, 0451531183, 014104036X, 0141330139, 0143106279, 0141198893, 0141392592, 0143123793

Coffeetown Press

An edition of this book was published by Coffeetown Press.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 190783253X, 1907832513

Recorded Books

2 editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1449875327, 1449875335

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,184,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible