Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Great Expectations (original 1861; edition 2001)

by Charles Dickens

23,11025949 (3.91)2 / 1196
Member:vancouverdeb
Title:Great Expectations
Authors:Charles Dickens
Info:Dover Publications (2001), Edition: Unabridged, Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, 1001 books to read before you die
Tags:British Literature, fiction, Victorian, classics

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (1861)

Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: Mister Pip explores the reading and interpretation of Great Expectations in a late 20th century South Sea island culture in the midst of a civil war.
    Bleak House by Charles Dickens (Booksloth)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (Maiasaura)
    The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: Thursday Next is a Literary Detective who helps to keep people from changing plots in books, keep book characters from escaping etc. When she goes in for training, who should she be apprenticed to but Miss Havisham who is more than happy to get out of her dreary rooms once and a while. What larks!… (more)
    Adam Bede by George Eliot (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: If you enjoyed the 'good hard working pastoral theme' of his uncle and their 'Larks' you may enjoy Adam Bede which has many of the same themes.
    Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (Johanna11)
    Johanna11: Both books write about people with expectations for their future, both are very well written at the end of the nineteenth century.
    Jack Maggs by Peter Carey (suzanney)
    Dombey and Son by Charles Dickens (Booksloth)
    The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: Great Expectations and Bonfire of the Vanities can be successfully tied together in that both the authors explore the themes of ostentation, ambition and morality
    Drood by Dan Simmons (caittilynn)
    The princess Casamassima by Henry James (suniru)
    An Unofficial Rose by Iris Murdoch (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: In der Einleitung zu "an unofficial rose" von Anthony D. Nuttall wird Dickens als Vergleich herangezogen: "An Unofficial Rose is indeed a surprisingly Dickensian novel, crowded, superabundant."
    Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (krizia_lazaro)
Read (31)
Romans (16)

English (249)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (257)
To be frank, I really didn't expect (I had low expectations?) to enjoy this--having tried twice to get through [Bleak House] and find Dickens unbelievably wordy. But this book was a joy to listen to in the car! Of course, Prebble gave his customary 5 star performance.

This audio version contains the original, unpublished ending, as a coda to the book. I found it interesting to hear hoe Dickens first thought to end the book versus how it actually ended. I can't decide which I like better, but I suspect the original ending is more realistic and perhaps less maudlin. Which is to say, the published version goes down more easily? :-) ( )
  kaulsu | Mar 2, 2015 |
I just want to take a moment and bask in the accomplishment of finishing this book. I first tried in about 15 years ago when my sister was reading it for school. I got bored and ended up asking her for a major plot point because I was curious but not enough to read the book.

So what to say about a classic that's become a major part of our culture, inspiring multiple screen adaptations, and been the bane of many a student's existence? Like David Copperfield, it's a coming of age story told in first person by Pip, a young man who has been "brought up by hand" by his sister after their parents' deaths. He lives with her and his uncle Joe, a blacksmith, and only intends to follow in that business after an apprenticeship. Then Miss Havisham, the local rich - and extremely eccentric - lady takes an interest in him, and seems to be putting him in the path of her young charge, Estella, with whom he falls hopelessly in love. A mysterious benefactor gives him money to become a gentleman, and then his life truly takes a turn.

Like many of Dickens' novels, Great Expectations is convoluted, wordy, full of memorable secondary characters (Miss Havisham, Mrs. Pocket, Wemmick, and Mr. Jaggers immediately spring to mind), somewhat maudlin, but exploring class and other serious themes at the same time. Even though I knew one of the major twists of the novel, I found myself turning pages with even more interest and a bit of a critical eye that I don't usually have on a first reading because I'm just working out the plot itself. Differences in class and what it really means to be a "gentleman" especially struck me, and I kind of wanted to bring out my undergrad English paper on the same theme in Oliver Twist for comparison's sake. I liked Pip and enjoyed seeing his progression throughout the story, though I wanted to shake him for falling for such a heartless girl who told him straight out the first time they met that she would break his heart. On the other hand, don't people do that all the time? ( )
  bell7 | Feb 7, 2015 |
This book mad me cringe and squirm and I hated, hated, HATED everyone. EVERYONE!!! I couldn't even fucking finish the damn thing. Pip is a cock ass. Miss Haversham has more heart than him, and she's not even supposed to! The only good guy in the whole story is the dead convict! And Joe. UGH! I'm pretty sure I missed the point, but I was so frustrated with everyone that I just...oooooooooh. ( )
  ooshwiggity | Feb 1, 2015 |
Dec '09: Crap, I picked up this book during winter break and I made the mistake of putting it down about 3/4th of the way through. If I put a book down, I will never finish it. Fact.

So far, I really like it though. I only put it down because I was super excited about Pip going to London but it turns out that village life is actually more exciting.
  megantron | Jan 2, 2015 |
Extremely boring and dull. ( )
  Kathryn_Brown | Dec 1, 2014 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

Affectionately Inscribed
to
Chauncy Hare Townshend
My father's family name being Pirrip, and my christian name Philip, my infant tongue could make of both names nothing longer or more explicit than Pip. So, I called myself Pip, and came to be called Pip.
Neither were my notions of the theological positions to which my Catechism bound me, at all accurate; for, I have a lively remembrance that I supposed my declaration that I was to "walk in the same all the days of my life," laid me under an obligation always to go through the village from our house in one particular direction, and never to vary it by turning down by the wheelwright's or up by the mill.
...a money-box was kept on the kitchen mantel-shelf, in to which it was publicly made known that all my earnings were dropped. I have an impression that they were to be contributed eventually towards the liquidation of the National Debt, but I know I had no hope of any personal participation in the treasure.
Mr. Wopsle's great-aunt kept an evening school in the village; that is to say, she was a ridiculous old woman of limited means and unlimited infirmity, who used to go to sleep from six to seven every evening, in the society of youth who paid two pence per week each, for the improving opportunity of seeing her do it.
I had little objection to his being seen by Herbert or his father, for both of whom I had a respect; but I had the sharpest sensitiveness as to his being seen by Drummle, whom I held in contempt. So, throughout life, our worst weaknesses and meannesses are usually committed for the sake of the people whom we most despise.  (Chapter XXVII)
"Oh! I have a heart to be stabbed in or shot in, I have no doubt," said Estella, "and of course if it ceased to beat I should cease to be. But you know what I mean. I have no softness there, no--sympathy--sentiment--nonsense."
This is the main work for Great Expectations. It should not be combined with any adaptation, abridgement, etc. If this is your book but it is an abridged or adapted version, consider changing the isbn to match your version so that it can be combined with the correct abridgement or adaptation.
One of the finest novels by iconic British author Charles Dickens, this Victorian tale follows the good-natured orphan Pip as he makes his way through life. As a boy, Pip crosses paths with a convict named Magwitch, a man who will heavily influence Pip’s adulthood. Meanwhile, the earnest young man falls for the beautiful Estella, the adoptive daughter of the affluent and eccentric Miss Havisham. Widely considered to be Dickens's last great book, the story is steeped in romance and features the writer's familiar themes of crime, punishment, and societal struggle. 384
Characters stick in
my memory: Estella,
Joe, Miss H. And yours?
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439564, Paperback)

An absorbing mystery as well as a morality tale, the story of Pip, a poor village lad, and his expectations of wealth is Dickens at his most deliciously readable. The cast of characters includes kindly Joe Gargery, the loyal convict Abel Magwitch and the haunting Miss Havisham. If you have heartstrings, count on them being tugged.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:39 -0400)

Great Expectations is at once a superbly constructed novel of spellbinding mastery and a profound examination of moral values. Here, some of Dickens's most memorable characters come to play their part in a story whose title itself reflects the deep irony that shaped Dickens's searching reappraisal of the Victorian middle class.… (more)

9 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439564, 0141023538, 0451531183, 014104036X, 0141330139, 0143106279, 0141198893, 0141392592, 0143123793

Coffeetown Press

An edition of this book was published by Coffeetown Press.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 190783253X, 1907832513

Recorded Books

2 editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1449875327, 1449875335

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,563,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible