Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Great Expectations (original 1861; edition 1998)

by Charles Dickens, Graham Law, Adrian Pinnington

24,12227845 (3.91)2 / 1284
Member:Noellwe
Title:Great Expectations
Authors:Charles Dickens
Other authors:Graham Law, Adrian Pinnington
Info:Broadview Press (1998), Edition: 1, Paperback, 656 pages

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (1861)

Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: Mister Pip explores the reading and interpretation of Great Expectations in a late 20th century South Sea island culture in the midst of a civil war.
    Bleak House by Charles Dickens (Booksloth)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (Maiasaura)
    The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: Thursday Next is a Literary Detective who helps to keep people from changing plots in books, keep book characters from escaping etc. When she goes in for training, who should she be apprenticed to but Miss Havisham who is more than happy to get out of her dreary rooms once and a while. What larks!… (more)
    Adam Bede by George Eliot (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: If you enjoyed the 'good hard working pastoral theme' of his uncle and their 'Larks' you may enjoy Adam Bede which has many of the same themes.
    The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: Great Expectations and Bonfire of the Vanities can be successfully tied together in that both the authors explore the themes of ostentation, ambition and morality
    Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (Johanna11)
    Johanna11: Both books write about people with expectations for their future, both are very well written at the end of the nineteenth century.
    Jack Maggs by Peter Carey (suzanney)
    Dombey and Son by Charles Dickens (Booksloth)
    Drood by Dan Simmons (caittilynn)
    The princess Casamassima by Henry James (suniru)
    An Unofficial Rose by Iris Murdoch (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: In der Einleitung zu "an unofficial rose" von Anthony D. Nuttall wird Dickens als Vergleich herangezogen: "An Unofficial Rose is indeed a surprisingly Dickensian novel, crowded, superabundant."
    Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (krizia_lazaro)
Read (31)
Romans (16)

English (268)  Spanish (4)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (277)
Oh I really couldn't relate to this book at the time. Required reading in school.
I was not cooperative in getting into it really. Can't say i gave i t any fair shot. ( )
  Bruce_Deming | Feb 5, 2016 |
Dickens needs to be consumed in whole big gasps so that one can appreciate the whole big story complete with his innumerable minute details. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens - ok

Listed in the BBC's Bigread top 100 http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/bigread/top100.shtml

Listed in the 1001 books you must read before you die http://www.listology.com/list/1001-books-you-must-read-you-die

Listed in The Guardian's 1000 best novels http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/jan/23/bestbooks-fiction

Listed in the BBC Meme: How Many of These 100 Books Have YOU Read? http://www.librarything.com/topic/61828

Oh dear, what can I say about this. I read it purely because it was listed in all the above & I feel my knowledge of the literary classics is sadly lacking. I really should have picked something different. I struggled to read it, it was just so drawn out & complicated and the silly names and dialect really annoyed me. Then I read somewhere that it was really just an early 'soap opera' and had been a serial in a
newspaper. Once I treated it like that & just read a chapter at a time, it was a lot easier. Having said that it took me One day short of Eighteen months to read it. Unheard of! That I stuck with it, I suppose means that it was worth reading, but I'll be giving Mr Dickens a wide berth for sometime after this.

Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |
I haven't read this book since I was a teen, so I wasn't sure what it would be like so many years later.
I was completely impressed by Dickens' descriptive power and the story. I remembered the broad details, but it was almost like reading a new story.
A bit of Victorian sentimentality in places, but a pleasure to read.
The narrator, Simon Prebble, was absolutely suburb. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
A look into the life of Pip an orphan boy. The book begins with him helping a convict and then moves to him visiting Miss Havisham. Eventually a mysterious benefactor wants him to become a gentleman and he moves to London. A very good book though slow moving at times. ( )
  i.should.b.reading | Jan 15, 2016 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

Affectionately Inscribed
to
Chauncy Hare Townshend
My father's family name being Pirrip, and my christian name Philip, my infant tongue could make of both names nothing longer or more explicit than Pip. So, I called myself Pip, and came to be called Pip.
Neither were my notions of the theological positions to which my Catechism bound me, at all accurate; for, I have a lively remembrance that I supposed my declaration that I was to "walk in the same all the days of my life," laid me under an obligation always to go through the village from our house in one particular direction, and never to vary it by turning down by the wheelwright's or up by the mill.
...a money-box was kept on the kitchen mantel-shelf, in to which it was publicly made known that all my earnings were dropped. I have an impression that they were to be contributed eventually towards the liquidation of the National Debt, but I know I had no hope of any personal participation in the treasure.
Mr. Wopsle's great-aunt kept an evening school in the village; that is to say, she was a ridiculous old woman of limited means and unlimited infirmity, who used to go to sleep from six to seven every evening, in the society of youth who paid two pence per week each, for the improving opportunity of seeing her do it.
I had little objection to his being seen by Herbert or his father, for both of whom I had a respect; but I had the sharpest sensitiveness as to his being seen by Drummle, whom I held in contempt. So, throughout life, our worst weaknesses and meannesses are usually committed for the sake of the people whom we most despise.  (Chapter XXVII)
"Oh! I have a heart to be stabbed in or shot in, I have no doubt," said Estella, "and of course if it ceased to beat I should cease to be. But you know what I mean. I have no softness there, no--sympathy--sentiment--nonsense."
This is the main work for Great Expectations. It should not be combined with any adaptation, abridgement, etc. If this is your book but it is an abridged or adapted version, consider changing the isbn to match your version so that it can be combined with the correct abridgement or adaptation.
One of the finest novels by iconic British author Charles Dickens, this Victorian tale follows the good-natured orphan Pip as he makes his way through life. As a boy, Pip crosses paths with a convict named Magwitch, a man who will heavily influence Pip’s adulthood. Meanwhile, the earnest young man falls for the beautiful Estella, the adoptive daughter of the affluent and eccentric Miss Havisham. Widely considered to be Dickens's last great book, the story is steeped in romance and features the writer's familiar themes of crime, punishment, and societal struggle. 384
Characters stick in
my memory: Estella,
Joe, Miss H. And yours?
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439564, Paperback)

An absorbing mystery as well as a morality tale, the story of Pip, a poor village lad, and his expectations of wealth is Dickens at his most deliciously readable. The cast of characters includes kindly Joe Gargery, the loyal convict Abel Magwitch and the haunting Miss Havisham. If you have heartstrings, count on them being tugged.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:50 -0400)

Great Expectations is at once a superbly constructed novel of spellbinding mastery and a profound examination of moral values. Here, some of Dickens's most memorable characters come to play their part in a story whose title itself reflects the deep irony that shaped Dickens's searching reappraisal of the Victorian middle class.… (more)

9 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439564, 0141023538, 0451531183, 014104036X, 0141330139, 0143106279, 0141198893, 0141392592, 0143123793

Coffeetown Press

An edition of this book was published by Coffeetown Press.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 190783253X, 1907832513

Recorded Books

2 editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1449875327, 1449875335

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,994,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible