The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet: The Lifelong…

The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet: The Lifelong Solution to Yo-Yo Dieting

by Rachael F. Heller, Richard F. Heller

Eh, not for me. As I was reading, I was quite certain I was a carb addict...but I stopped in the middle (to read other things) and got more doubtful the more I thought about it. Now it feels like a horoscope - written in such a way that just about everyone will say "Yes! They're talking about me!". Some of the recipes may be mildly interesting (it's always good to get more veg into your diet), but a lot of them are trying too hard. Vegetarian "meat", or in this case "bread" and "pancakes", are usually not nearly as good as vegetarian vegetables - let the food be what it is, don't try to make it pretend to be something else. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Aug 5, 2014 |
I loved this book! It's like it was made for me. My nutritionist recommend that I do this program. Within one day I noticed a difference in my cravings and my jeans felt looser. I've been on it just under two weeks now and I still love the program. It even works on vacation. It's the most balanced low carb program I've ever tried. I think the daily reward will help me to continue to stick with it and see results. ( )
  BookAngel_a | Jul 13, 2008 |

Rachael F. Hellerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heller, Richard F.main authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451173392, Mass Market Paperback)

If you've been a yo-yo dieter for years or if you can eat a pound of pasta at one sitting, this book may very well be an eye opener. In simple--but never condescending--language, it explains the roots of carbohydrate cravings and teaches you how to normalize your insulin levels to prevent future food binges. Regulated insulin levels in turn help to temper serotonin levels, so food cravings and mood swings are prevented. The authors, both research scientists (one a health psychologist, the other a pathologist), have lost and kept off a total of 200 pounds between them. They've based this book on nearly a decade's worth of research, during which they've helped nearly 80 percent of their patients lose weight and keep it off for at least a year.

They explain that carbohydrate addicts most commonly crave popcorn, breads, bagels, rice, pasta, potatoes, ice cream, chocolate, pie, cookies, crackers, cake, fruit and fruit juice, potato chips, and pretzels. A questionnaire at the beginning of the book determines if you're indeed a carbohydrate addict, and if so, to what extent. (For those readers whose quiz doesn't indicate addiction, but who are bothered by their food cravings, the authors recommend a doctor's visit for an explanation.) The book includes a diet plan with dozens of easy recipes, a chart of the carbohydrate content of many common foods, and lists of binge triggers to watch for. The most appealing part of the diet--and one reason that it wins raves from its followers--is its once-a-day reward meal, which allows you to eat anything you want. The authors also offer helpful tips for incorporating the diet away from home, such as at parties and restaurants.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:59 -0400)

Dicusses the insulin balance problem that can lead to compulsive overeating and to carbohydrate addiction. Provides a diet that helps overcome the syndrome.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,700,743 books! | Top bar: Always visible