Enthusiasm by Polly Shulman

Enthusiasm

by Polly Shulman

Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg (readr)
    readr: Also a teen, modern day adaptation of Jane Austen.

Enthusiasm will appeal to Austen fans who have always secretly felt more like Jane Bennet than Pride and Prejudice’s charming protagonist, Elizabeth. Sometimes Julie Lefkowitz can’t help but feel overshadowed by her best friend, Ashley, whom she considers an “Enthusiast.” As an Enthusiast, Ashley is prone to falling deeply, obsessively, and briefly in love with an array of people, media, and hobbies. So when Ashley’s newest enthusiasm is for Julie’s favorite book, Pride and Prejudice, she should be thrilled, right? Even though she’s reluctant to let her favorite novel become one of Ashley’s crazes, before long she finds herself answering to “Miss Lefkowitz,” learning the quadrille, and crashing the dance at the local boy’s boarding school, all in the pursuit of True Love. The ensuing miscommunications, tests of friendship, and romantic hijinks deliver the romance Austen is known for, along with a double-dose of comedy - perfect for teens looking for a lighthearted romantic comedy.

4P, 3Q ( )
  Thea-Ploetz | Jun 2, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book. It was a quick and easy read, with just enough Jane Austen to make me happy. Parr, where are you and why aren't you in my life? ( )
  hawaiianmermaid701 | Apr 7, 2014 |
Cute high school love story. I usually prefer characters to be a bit more drawn out, but this fit the bill for a quick and cute brain candy story. The prep school boys, Parr and Ned, are adorable and the story reminded me of my chaste and sweet feelings in high school.
  StefanieGeeks | Apr 5, 2013 |
I have issues with any books that mess with my Jane, let's just get that out of the way right now. I think the only ones I have truly enjoyed are the Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman books. So when I started this book and saw lame comparisons like Forefield Academy and "Charles Grandison" Parr, I was worried. However, it turned out to be pretty cute. Not fabulous, but enjoyable. ( )
  Bduke | Jan 28, 2013 |
I read ENTHUSIASM shortly after its release in 2006 and, when I went searching for audiobooks for a recent roadtrip, I felt compelled to bring it along. Before I'd even finished the first disc, I remembered just how much I adore Polly Shulman's debut. I was so engrossed that I compeletely missed one of my exits and continued onward for about half an hour before I noticed. In fact, when I realized my error, I didn't even mind... it meant my trip was extended and I would have an entire extra hour before I'd have to give up ENTHUSIASM!

Enthusiasts like Ashleigh are high spirited, stubborn, and, sometimes, crazed. When Ashleigh zeros in on the one thing Julie is actually passionate about, in her quiet, reverent way, she knows there's no use trying to dissuade her. Ashleigh plans on finding love. No, not just love, but true love, like Elizabeth Bennett finds in the scowling Mr. Darcy.

I didn't have a friend like Ashleigh in high school, but I imagine my attitude would have been similar to Julie's. Though Julie often complains about Ashleigh's shenanigans, it's clear to the reader that she's fiercely loyal and loves Ashleigh despite her eccentricities. ENTHUSIAM celebrates a healthly relationships between best friends. Hurrah! I definitely don't take issue with the books that showcase dysfuntional friendships, but they do seem to crop up more often than than the former, so I'm always excited to find a relationship like Julie and Ashleigh's.

It's difficult to discuss the romance in ENTHUSIASM with out spoilers, so I'll keep it brief. Swoon. To be back in high school experiencing my first kiss... This aspect of the novel was absolutely adorable.

Julie's enthusiastic adventures are sure to keep readers (or listeners!) of all ages entertained. ( )
  thehidingspot | Mar 31, 2012 |
With so tidy a happy ending, "Enthusiasm" might fairly be described as escapist fantasy. The literary allusions throughout add a sense of fun and frothiness. As a plot point, however, Julie's obtuseness to Parr's obvious infatuation with her seems a bit forced.

?There is little more likely to exasperate a person of sense than finding herself tied by affection and habit to an Enthusiast.? Julie knows from bitter experience: her best friend, Ashleigh, is an Enthusiast. Ashleigh?s current fancy is also Julie?s own passion, Pride and Prejudice, and the heroine?s quest for True Love. And so Julie finds herself swept along with Ashleigh, dressed in vintage frocks and sneaking into a dance at the local all-boys? prep school. There they discover several likely candidates for True Love, including the handsome and sensitive Parr. And Julie begins to wonder if maybe this obsession of Ashleigh?s isn?t so bad after all. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:17 -0400)

Julie and Ashleigh, high school sophomores and Jane Austen fans, seem to fall for the same Mr. Darcy-like boy and struggle to hide their true feelings from one another while rehearsing for a school musical.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,569 books! | Top bar: Always visible