One Candle by Eve Bunting

One Candle

by Eve Bunting

Other authors: K. Wendy Popp (Illustrator)

Heartwarming. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
This is a book about a family celebrating Hanukkah together. There's food and traditions and togetherness. In the middle of the book, after they eat dinner, Grandma starts to hollow out a potato while she tells the family "about the bad times." They "know this story by heart, but...want to hear it again. To us, this story is Hanukkah." Grandma tells about how her family was sent to a German concentration camp during the Holocaust. She talks about what she and her sister went through at the camp. Grandma tells the family that she worked in the kitchen. She and her sister snuck small food items out of the kitchen on Hanukkah. She and some other girls and women hollowed out a potato after she returned unnoticed and safe to the barracks. They filled the potato with some butter from the kitchen and a string from a skirt and they make a Hanukkah candle. And now, every year with her family on Hanukkah, she makes that same candle and places it next to the menorah. ( )
  hphipp2 | Dec 7, 2014 |
I really liked the story “One Candle” by Eve Bunting. This inspiring, yet saddening story is how one family’s traditional Hanukkah celebration has a greater meaning. I liked how the point of view was from the young girl listening to her grandmother and great aunt tell their hardships. Being in the girl’s point of view allows young readers to understand history in a more basic way. This book pushes readers to think about tough times and be thankful for what they have. As the young girl narrates, “I am full from Mom’s delicious cooking. And there are still leftovers. I can’t imagine going hungry.” Thus, having to steal food, like her grandmother and great aunt, is unimaginable. I think the main message of this story is to be appreciative and thankful for what you have, comparing it to the difficult time during the Holocaust. ( )
  Ebutzn1 | Oct 31, 2014 |
One Candle
By Eve Bunting (2004)

I liked One Candle by Eve Bunting for three reasons. First, I liked how the story illustrates Grandma and Great-Aunt Rose telling their story. Specifically, they tell a story about their time during the Holocaust, and the strength it took to continue to honor Hanukkah. It is neat how the illustrations depict Grandma and Great-Aunt Rose in the past and in the present. Second, I liked how Bunting incorporated many family generations in the story. This indicates that family, being together, is a necessity when celebrating Hanukkah. Lastly, I like how this book could be used to introduce young children to the Holocaust and Hanukkah. Overall, the “big idea” of One Candle is to emphasize the values of tradition and family and to introduce the theme of hope. ( )
  Mdierd1 | May 10, 2014 |
I really liked this book and found it to be very uplifting. I would read this book if I were to teach the Holocaust to my students. It gives a great insight from a situation that may have occurred. I also love the illustrations in the book! ( )
  TBegum1 | Nov 27, 2013 |

Eve Buntingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Popp, K. WendyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
c. 1 LJCRS Book Fair Selection 5763

For one family the traditional Hanukkah celebration has a deeper meaning. Amidst the food and the festivities, Grandma and Great-Aunt Rose begin their story -- the one they tell each year. They pass on to each generation a tale of perseverance during the darkest hours of the Holocaust, and the strength it took to continue to honor Hanukkah in the only way they could. Their story reaffirms the values of tradition and family, but also shows us that by continuing to honor the tragedies and the triumphs of the past there will always be hope for the future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:54 -0400)

Every year a family celebrates Hanukkah by retelling the story of how Grandma and her sister managed to mark the day while in a German concentration camp.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,429,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible