Marco's Millions by William Sleator

Marco's Millions (2001)

by William Sleator

Series: Boxes (1)

I love time travel. And I love William Sleator. And I love Marco. So, naturally, I love this book.

Slow beginning, but once you get into it it's impossible to put down. I had to force myself to slow down near the end so I wouldn't miss anything important. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Jan 20, 2012 |
Younger-skewing YA about Marco and his younger sister Lily who discover something very strange in the basement: a gateway to another world, where time moves more slowly and the alien inhabitants insist they need Lily to save them, but Marco can’t be sure they’re trustworthy. A distinctive Sleator feature is that the right course of action is generally unclear, even at the end. Sleator ends kind of in the middle of the story; there’s a sequel. ( )
  rivkat | Oct 11, 2009 |
Twelve-yr-old Marco has been exploring and going places, riding trains and buses since he was five years old. He was always fascinated by "millions", like traveling millions and millions of miles away. His parents never found out but his eleven-yr-old sister Lilly always knew. Lilly does not tell anybody, not even Dr. Goldman who is always testing her. Her parents are worried that she knows a lot of things without anybody telling her. It is Marco's and her secret. Ruth, their younger sister is jealous of her siblings' closeness. She wants Marco gone. One day, Lilly shows him a door in the basement wall that only she could see. It leads Marco to another world where creatures begs them both to help or the universe will be swallowed and destroyed, including earth. Marco decides to help the creatures in the alien world get the master box back to their lord "the Unknowable" to appease its anger so it does not destroy. Lilly helps and guides him with her thoughts from earth. He is gone for three days, or so he thinks, his parents believing he is with his friend Nat on a ski trip. Marco did not return after three days and so many days after that. Ruth can see that Lilly is not really upset even though it is clear that Marco is not coming back. Does Lilly know where Marco is? Lilly is not at the basement when Marco comes home. Where is she? I do not like the way the author brings about an anticlimactic finale after the climax of the story. I had hoped for a happier, more satisfying ending! ( )
  RoDor | Jul 23, 2009 |

William Sleatorprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lee, VictorCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Marco like to go places---and he thought about millions a lot.
We did it, Marco. We did it. Never forget that. Always remember.

Lilly, lillym what do you mean? What's happening to you?

Marco has always been obsessed with travelling. When his younger sister, Lilly, discovers an invisible tunnel in their basement, he can't resist crawling into it. What he discovers there is truly fantastical - a world inhabited by insect-like creatures. They communicate via telepathy, and tell Marco that they need Lilly to help them contact The Unknowable (their 'God') and thus prevent their world - and Marco's - from destruction. Lilly is too scared to venture in to the hole, so Marco agrees to go in her stead. Once there, he must take a mysterious box on a long journey to the Unknowable - a singularity that acts as a gateway between millions of different universes. When he discovers a second box, he is given the power to control gravity and time. And, at the gateway of the singularity, with its numerous adjoining universes, Marco knows that he really can go absolutely anywhere...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:16 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Marco's love for travel and for his younger sister Lilly, who has psychic powers, leads him to journey to other universes, gaining the ability to go wherever he wishes without growing old.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,643,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible