North of Beautiful (A Justina Chen Novel) by…

North of Beautiful (A Justina Chen Novel) (edition 2009)

by Justina Chen

Member:readerspeak
Title:North of Beautiful (A Justina Chen Novel)
Authors:Justina Chen
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, teen fiction, romance, travel, family

North Of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley

This book took a couple of times of starting it, for me to get into it. It is a pretty good book, but sort've a slow read. It's about a girl who was born with a port wine stain birthmark on her face. It's all about discovering what true beauty is, and about dismissing the people who try to convince you otherwise. ( )
  amyghilton | Jul 27, 2016 |
Wonderful book about loving yourself for who you are. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Terra, a sensitive, artistic high school senior born with a facial port-wine stain, struggles with issues of inner and outer beauty with the help of her Goth classmate Jacob.
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
good book, good story, repeated a lot of the same stuff, could have ended a few hundred pages earlier. ( )
  umbiela | Feb 16, 2016 |
I really liked the concept of this book and thought it was going to focus of Terra's struggles, and it did for a while, then it became too bogged down with the romance. Don't get me wrong, I really liked Jacob, but as per usual the female protagonist became a swooning imbecile every time 'hot boy' was in her presence. I absolutely loathed Terra's father and the way he undermined both his wife and daughter, but I enjoyed watching Terra's mother, especially, grow in confidence and inner strength when she was away from her verbally abusive husband. Overall, this book was okay but not what I was expecting. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
A map says to you, 'Read me carefully, follow me closely, doubt me not . . . I am the earth in the palm of your hand.' --Beryl Markham
For Mama, who is everything true and beautiful
Not to brag or anything, but if you saw me from behind, you'd probably think I was perfect.
Maybe getting around in life is nothing but map-reading. A skill that required practice. A key to unlock where you wanted to go. A legend to show where you were.
Still, I wanted to rush around the city now, a giant geocache, find everything I had read about in the books I had borrowed from our tiny library. (pg 209)
Inertia is so easy - don't fix what's not broken. Leave well enough alone. So we end up accepting what is broken, mistaking complaining for action, procrastinating for deliberation. (pg 194)

As he continued to stare, I wanted to point to my cheek and remind him, But you were the one who wanted this, remember? You're the one who asked-and I repeat-Why not fix your face?

It's hard not to notice Terra Cooper.

She's tall, blond, and has an enviable body. But with one turn of her cheek, all people notice is her unmistakably "flawed" face. Terra secretly plans to leave her stifling small town in the Northwest and escape to an East Coast college, but gets pushed off-course by her controlling father. When an unexpected collision puts Terra directly in Jacob's path, the handsome but quirky Goth boy immediately challenges her assumptions about herself and her life, and she is forced in yet another direction. With her carefully laid plans disrupted, will Terra be able to find her true path?

Written in lively, artful prose, award-winning author Justina Chen Headley has woven together a powerful novel about a fractured family, falling in love, travel, and the meaning of true beauty.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:07 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,364,857 books! | Top bar: Always visible