North of Beautiful (A Justina Chen Novel) by…

North of Beautiful (A Justina Chen Novel) (edition 2009)

by Justina Chen

Member:readerspeak
Title:North of Beautiful (A Justina Chen Novel)
Authors:Justina Chen
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, teen fiction, romance, travel, family

North Of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley

Loved the geocaching! I thought this was a good book on the exploration of self and accepting and becoming your own person. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
This book wasn't exactly what I was expecting. I was at first reluctant to read this, but my sister recommended it to me, so I gave it a shot.

My thoughts?
I loved it!
Like I said it wasn't what I was expecting, but it turned out to be so much better than my expectations. This is one of those books which show amazing character development, and not just in the main character, but we see others change as well.
I also loved the travel aspect to this novel, I love books which involve travelling so that was really enjoyable.
It was such a good read, from beginning to end, and it wrapped up very well in the end. This book is definitely one I would recommend.
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
Terra is an artist with a giant birthmark, an unhealthy relationship with her father, and a cute boyfriend. She was handed a brochure to a surgeon that removes birthmarks. She thought about getting the surgery and then decided that she was going to go through with it. One day Terra and her mom were driving and the car slid on some ice which caused the car to collide with Jacob and Norah, people who become very important to the story. After spending a lot of time with Jacob and a trip to China,Terra discovers that she know longer needed the surgery to find her beauty.

The book 'North of Beautiful' is a very good book about finding your true beauty and standing up for yourself. Although, I didn't like that some parts of the book were a bit boring and it wasn't very exciting to read. I felt that it could have been more interesting because I didn't feel like I was "in" the book. Even though it was a kind of boring I thought that it was a good story with a good message.
In the end, Terra is very confused about things between her and Erik, her boyfriend. And her and Jacob, who she wants to be with. Does she stay with Erik? Or the one she really loves?
  br14kape | Oct 30, 2013 |

Summary : It's hard not to notice Terra Cooper.

She's tall, blond, and has an enviable body. But with one turn of her cheek, all people notice is her unmistakably "flawed" face. Terra secretly plans to leave her stifling small town in the Northwest and escape to an East Coast college, but gets pushed off-course by her controlling father. When an unexpected collision puts Terra directly in Jacob's path, the handsome but quirky Goth boy immediately challenges her assumptions about herself and her life, and she is forced in yet another direction. With her carefully laid plans disrupted, will Terra be able to find her true path?

Written in lively, artful prose, award-winning author Justina Chen Headley has woven together a powerful novel about a fractured family, falling in love, travel, and the meaning of true beauty.

-GOODREADS

My Opinion : This great book wasn't what I expected. I normally love young adult paranormal romance books. But this was more of a reality romance. Of course, I was impressed by how it got me into the story after fifty pages. I liked the book.

Charaters : My favorite character of all would be Lois, Terra's mother. I was struck by how she put up with her husband. I loved how she got out of her shield in China.

Jacob, or Goth Guy according to Terra's friend, was exceptional. I was so happy when he and Terra finally kissed! I loved him so much!

Terra was quite... cool. The fact that she had an amazing body, but that her wine stain was on her face, was quite awesome.

I quite liked Emily even though she wasn't a big part of the novel. I hated to know that Merc and her weren't going out any more.

Claudius was good; I liked him.

The other characters were all okay except for at Terra's father. I disliked this stupid guy from the very beginning! ( )
  ccathee17c | Jun 7, 2013 |
Come by my blog, Forever Lost in Books, for MORE reviews, giveaways, interviews and memes!

Claudius was good; I liked him.

4/5 stars ( )
  ccathee17c | Jun 7, 2013 |
A map says to you, 'Read me carefully, follow me closely, doubt me not . . . I am the earth in the palm of your hand.' --Beryl Markham
For Mama, who is everything true and beautiful
Not to brag or anything, but if you saw me from behind, you'd probably think I was perfect.
Maybe getting around in life is nothing but map-reading. A skill that required practice. A key to unlock where you wanted to go. A legend to show where you were.
Still, I wanted to rush around the city now, a giant geocache, find everything I had read about in the books I had borrowed from our tiny library. (pg 209)
Inertia is so easy - don't fix what's not broken. Leave well enough alone. So we end up accepting what is broken, mistaking complaining for action, procrastinating for deliberation. (pg 194)

As he continued to stare, I wanted to point to my cheek and remind him, But you were the one who wanted this, remember? You're the one who asked-and I repeat-Why not fix your face?

It's hard not to notice Terra Cooper.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:29 -0400)

Terra, a sensitive, artistic high school senior born with a facial port-wine stain, struggles with issues of inner and outer beauty with the help of her Goth classmate Jacob.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,014,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible