North of Beautiful (A Justina Chen Novel) by…

North of Beautiful (A Justina Chen Novel) (edition 2009)

by Justina Chen

Member:readerspeak
Title:North of Beautiful (A Justina Chen Novel)
Authors:Justina Chen
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, teen fiction, romance, travel, family

North Of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley

I really like this one. It is a YA book, but didn't feel like it. North of Beautiful deals with beauty (inner and outer), family, art, love... ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
Geocaching?! Reshelving to make it higher priority! :) Several ILL but no CC.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Firstly, I did not finish the book but this is my opinion on it. I didn't really understand what was happening and where it was taking place (setting), I knew that Terra, main character, had a port wine and how her teachers were telling her about how to treat it but thats how far I got to. I didn't like this story because of the confusion and talking about the north of a compass. I know that there is a lot more information on these topics but I just didn't enjoy reading it to find out. ( )
  amvu14 | Feb 28, 2015 |
Loved the geocaching! I thought this was a good book on the exploration of self and accepting and becoming your own person. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
This book wasn't exactly what I was expecting. I was at first reluctant to read this, but my sister recommended it to me, so I gave it a shot.

My thoughts?
I loved it!
Like I said it wasn't what I was expecting, but it turned out to be so much better than my expectations. This is one of those books which show amazing character development, and not just in the main character, but we see others change as well.
I also loved the travel aspect to this novel, I love books which involve travelling so that was really enjoyable.
It was such a good read, from beginning to end, and it wrapped up very well in the end. This book is definitely one I would recommend.
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
A map says to you, 'Read me carefully, follow me closely, doubt me not . . . I am the earth in the palm of your hand.' --Beryl Markham
For Mama, who is everything true and beautiful
Not to brag or anything, but if you saw me from behind, you'd probably think I was perfect.
Maybe getting around in life is nothing but map-reading. A skill that required practice. A key to unlock where you wanted to go. A legend to show where you were.
Still, I wanted to rush around the city now, a giant geocache, find everything I had read about in the books I had borrowed from our tiny library. (pg 209)
Inertia is so easy - don't fix what's not broken. Leave well enough alone. So we end up accepting what is broken, mistaking complaining for action, procrastinating for deliberation. (pg 194)

As he continued to stare, I wanted to point to my cheek and remind him, But you were the one who wanted this, remember? You're the one who asked-and I repeat-Why not fix your face?

It's hard not to notice Terra Cooper.

She's tall, blond, and has an enviable body. But with one turn of her cheek, all people notice is her unmistakably "flawed" face. Terra secretly plans to leave her stifling small town in the Northwest and escape to an East Coast college, but gets pushed off-course by her controlling father. When an unexpected collision puts Terra directly in Jacob's path, the handsome but quirky Goth boy immediately challenges her assumptions about herself and her life, and she is forced in yet another direction. With her carefully laid plans disrupted, will Terra be able to find her true path?

Written in lively, artful prose, award-winning author Justina Chen Headley has woven together a powerful novel about a fractured family, falling in love, travel, and the meaning of true beauty.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:29 -0400)

Terra, a sensitive, artistic high school senior born with a facial port-wine stain, struggles with issues of inner and outer beauty with the help of her Goth classmate Jacob.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,173,754 books! | Top bar: Always visible