Wife of the Gods by Kwei Quartey

Wife of the Gods (2009)

by Kwei Quartey

Detective Inspector Darko Dawson of the Accra branch of the CID is sent to Ketanu to investigate the murder of a young woman, Gladys Mensah, who was studying medicine. She was especially interested in finding a cure for AIDS. Dawson and the local chief Fiti did not always see eye to eye on suspects or how to treat them. Police brutality is a bit of an issue. Dawson was assigned the case because he spoke the local dialect. His mother's family was from the area, and he was familiar with it. His aunt lived there. In fact, Darko's mom never returned home from a trip there years earlier. Although the author used red herrings, I figured this one out pretty early on and wondered how Darko would handle it when he figured it out. I am not a huge fan of African settings, but this one worked for me. The characters were interesting, and it was interesting to discover some aspects of modern culture are present in the country. I look forward to the next installment. I listened to the audio book from Tantor Media, narrated by Simon Prebble, who did an excellent job. ( )
  thornton37814 | Mar 10, 2017 |
Det. Darko Dawson of Ghana's CID travels to a rural village to investigate the murder of a young med student/AIDs education volunteer. The book has everything I look for in a mystery:richly drawn intriguing characters, a vivid cultural and physical background, and a mystery that keeps me guessing with classic red herrings, multiple suspects, good cops and bad (very bad) cops. Grittier than Alexander McCall Smith, but more focus on character development than on gore. I look forward to more from this writer. ( )
  kaitanya64 | Jan 3, 2017 |
Detective Inspector Darko Dawson is sent from the Ghanaian capital, Accra, to the small town of Ketanu to investigate the murder of a young medical student, Gladys Mensah, who was volunteering for an AIDS outreach program in the area. The local inspector believes it to be an open-and-shut case and arrests a suspect. Dawson doesn’t follow the same line of thought, and would rather pursue a different direction to find the actual killer. Running parallel to the murder investigation of Gladys is the story of Dawson. Darko is haunted by the memory of his mother who disappeared during a trip to Ketanu decades earlier and was never found.

The mystery itself is rather intricate, made so in part by the customs and beliefs of the villagers. The author incorporates these cultural references into the story in a seamless way. Dawson is a flawed man who has a penchant for marijuana. He’s a young husband and father, absolutely devoted to his family. His son was born with a heart defect and needs an expensive procedure that the family cannot afford. Dawson’s mother-in-law steeped in the old traditions would rather procure the services of a traditional healer than wait for the needed money to be raised, which Darko is against. His wife, Christine, has to mediate between the two.

I learned so much about the Ghanian culture in this book. The author did a great job of describing Ghana and Ghanaian medicine, both witchcraft and scientific. I didn't realize that Wife of the Gods refers to trokosi. Trokosi are young girls who are handed over to fetish priests by their families as a way to make up for bad things that have happened in the past. I'm glad I read this book and would definitely read another featuring this detective. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jun 16, 2016 |
My run of coincidental book linking continues. Recently read a book I disliked, non-fiction, that took place in Accra, Ghana, and the US. I pick up this mystery, which takes place in Accra, Ghana and the Volta region of Ghana. I've now skipped over another book about Africa (non-fiction, Burundi,) to give some space, and am looking forward to the parallels that will make themselves apparent in my new book. But back to Wife of the Gods. I've heard it compared to the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, but I suppose only because it is a mystery set in Africa. Everything else is different, except that in reading the mystery you get a good taste of the culture. As a person who doesn't especially like mysteries, this was an enjoyable one and I look forward to the next Darko Dawson mystery, as I assumer there will be more. Good writing, good mystery. ( )
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |
To Papa. He would have loved to see this.
The forest was black and Darko was afraid to enter.

Kwei Quartey's debut novel brings to life the majesty and charm of Ghana--from the capital city of Accra to a small community where long-buried secrets are about to rise to the surface,

In a shady grove outside the small town of Ketanu, a young woman--a promising med student--has been fond dead under suspicious circumstances. Eager to close the case, the local police have arrested a poor, enamored teenage boy and charged him with murder. Needless to say, they are less than thrilled when an outside force arrives from the big city to lead an inquiry into a baffling case.

Detective Inspector Darko Dawson, fluent in Ketanu's indigenous language, is the right man for the job, but he hates the idea of leaving his loving wife and young son, a plucky kid with a defective heart. Pressured by his cantankerous boss, Dawson agrees to travel to Ketanu, sort through the evidence, and tie up the loose ends as quickly and efficiently as possible. But for Dawson, this sleepy corner of Ghana is rife with emotional land mines: an estranged relationship with the family he left behind twenty-five years earlier and the painful memory of his own mother's sudden, inexplicable disappearance. Dawson is armed with remarkable insight and a healthy dose of skepticism, but these gifts, sometimes overshadowed by his mercurial temper, may not be enough to solve this haunting mystery. In Ketanu, he finds that his cosmopolitan sensibilities clash with age-old customs, including a disturbing practice in which teenage girls are offered by their families as trokosi, of Wives of the Gods. [adapted from the jacket]

An original debut novel set in Ghana, is the story of Detective Inspector Darko Dawson, who is sent from the big city to the village of Ketanu to solve the murder of an accomplished young AIDS worker. Darko's own mother disappeared from this same village many years ago, and as the mystery unfolds, the reader meets a rich cast of characters, and learns about Trokosi, a system where young teenage girls are sent to live with fetish priests to bring good fortune to their families. Darko explores the motivations and secrets of the residents of Ketanu, and in addition to solving a recent murder, discovers the shocking truth about his own mother's disappearance.… (more)

42 wanted2 pay5 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Wife of the Gods by Kwei Quartey was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,243,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible