The Ice Princess by Elizabeth Hoyt

The Ice Princess (edition 2010)

by Elizabeth Hoyt

Collections:Finished Reading
Rating:*****
Tags:romantic

The Ice Princess by Elizabeth Hoyt

For a short story the characters were very well defined and the romance perfectly paced. Emotionally engaging and satisfying. ( )
  saturnnalia | Nov 22, 2013 |
Author: Elizabeth Holt
Published By: Forever Yours
Age Recommended: Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean

Book Blog For: GMTA

Rating: 5

Review:

"The Ice Princess" by Elizabeth Holt was greatly enjoyed short but sweet read. This was one of this author 'Princess Trilogys' and could be considered a novella...which tells the story of Ms. Coral Smythe, who had owned the
Aphrodite Grotto...which was a famous brothel in London. A problem comes
up where Coral loses control of ownership and then she is auctioned off in a 'loop game' where the winner gets to spend seven nights with her. From there this story takes off and this is where I say you must pick up "The Ice Princess" to see how this will come out. I really admired this heroine(Coral) because even in a bad situation, she does make the best of it. The hero (Issac) also proves to be a very interesting person and I will just stop at that. Pick up the read and you will see how he becomes a sweetheart with his only intentions are that of saving this damsel in distress.

I thought "The Ice Princess" was a very sweet, adorable, short, romantic, and steamy story and if you like that... I would definitely recommend this read as a excellence choice of a read for you. ( )
  arlenadean | Jan 27, 2013 |
ABOUT THE BOOK:
SEVEN NIGHTS OF SIN
As the madam of Aphrodite's Grotto, the most infamous brothel in London, Coral Smythe knows everything possible about men's needs and desires. Yet she's never experienced the love of a single man-not even that of Captain Isaac Wargate whose hawk-like eyes stare at her with both condemnation...and lust.

SEVEN NIGHTS OF ECSTASY
Captain Wargate heartily disapproves of the sensuous madam who always wears a golden mask. She lures his officers from both his ship and their duty. But when Coral herself is offered up as the prize in a game of chance, Wargate impulsively enters...and wins.

SEVEN NIGHTS OF LOVE
Now the puritanical navy captain has just seven nights to learn everything he can about the mysterious madam and what she knows of a man's desires. But when Coral is threatened by the new owner of Aphrodite's Grotto, will Wargate take a chance on the woman beneath the mask...and on love?

REVIEW: Ms. Hoyt has managed to create a spell bound story which shows the path of changes, love, and desires. I enjoyed the overall story and did find that it was a quick read – mostly due to the fact that I didn’t want to put it down. While I wished it had been a bit longer, I cherished each page that passed.

Aphrodite is the supreme chided woman who has wrapped herself in a ball of protection from everything outside. She alludes to the presence of confidence when in all actuality deep down, she’s got insecurities to make any one pause.

Captain Isaac is the ultimate hero who attempts to fight his feelings for this very public woman, but manages to be ensnared, not only by her beauty but deeper inside to the true woman.

I liked the exchanges between these two and found that Ms. Hoyt did a great job at keeping the tension rising and showing each step they took in order to overcome obstacles. The chapters transitioned smoothly and the writing was spot on. The only thing I didn’t like was that the ending seemed a bit rushed and out of place. Other than that, it’s a historical read I’d recommend for someone looking to get through a steamy story quick. I give this read four out of five stars. ( )
  Deserie.Comfort | Jun 12, 2012 |
I really liked this steamy, little novella. It's based off a minor character in the PRINCE series. My only critcism of it that it was too short. I love Elizabeth Hoyt and cannot wait for her next book to be released. ( )
  Jaitai16 | Jan 15, 2012 |
Elizabeth Hoyt has done it again, writing yet another compelling story. The Ice Princess is a novella sequel to her fabulous Princes Trilogy that features Coral Smythe, a secondary character from that series, as the heroine. In a less talented author's hands, I probably would not have enjoyed The Ice Princess half as much. Because of the brevity of the story, the time frame in which the events occur would admittedly be rather unbelievable in real life, but Ms. Hoyt has a tight writing style and a real knack for bringing out all the emotions of a difficult situation. She immediately drew me into the story and made me believe in the character's love for one another and the mental and emotional changes that Coral had to undergo in order to truly experience that love. Also, once again, the author mirrors the events of the main narrative with a fairy tale of the same title, excerpts of which begin each chapter, so it is almost like getting two stories in one.

I absolutely loved both the hero and heroine of The Ice Princess. Isaac was definitely a swoon-worthy hero. He shows his alpha-maleness in his leadership abilities as an accomplished sea captain, but at the same time is very sensitive and loving. He seems to intuitively know what Coral needs and how to tame her. He patiently gives her time to come around, and slowly coaxes her to come out of “hiding” and reveal every part of herself to him. At one point, the author very cleverly uses a game of checkers as a metaphor for Isaac's attempts to win Coral's trust and ultimately her love. Rakes are usually a dime a dozen in historical romances, so a self-controlled hero like Isaac is quite endearing to me. In my opinion, he was exactly the type of man Coral needed to show her that not all men are cut from the same cloth. Coral had worked as both a street prostitute and a high-priced courtesan, and is now the anonymous madame of an infamous brothel who hides behind a golden mask and the name of Aphrodite. She has tried to avoid selling herself for two years, but having seen the worst men have to offer, all her life's experiences have left her rather jaded. Isaac often comes to the brothel to collect his sailors but never partakes in the pleasures offered there. Coral loves to suggestively banter with him, but deep down she's both intrigued and disconcerted by him, and also very attracted to him. Some small part of her still longs to be a “normal” young woman with a husband and family, but her years of whoring make her feel unworthy of those things. I liked Coral in the Princes Trilogy and was very happy to see her finally get an HEA ending too.

I would have loved to read a full-length novel about this couple, but somehow Ms. Hoyt managed to squeeze everything that I would have hoped for them into twelve short chapters, leaving me feeling fully satisfied. The Ice Princess works fine as a stand-alone story, but readers will get a richer understanding of Coral's background and Aphrodite's Grotto, her brothel, by reading the Princes Trilogy first, particularly The Raven Prince. For me, The Ice Princess was another satisfying tale from Elizabeth Hoyt's talented pen, and in my opinion, not to be missed by fans of the Princes Trilogy. It is currently only available as a free online e-book at the author's website, so there's really nothing to loose either. It was so good, I gladly would have been willing to pay for a copy and hope that perhaps it will be published in print someday. If it does become possible for me to own a permanent copy of The Ice Princess, it will certainly take its place on my keeper shelf right next to the other three books of the series. ( )
  mom2lnb | Jun 11, 2011 |
Then you to Carrie Andrews for her sublime -- and speedy! -- skills as a copy editor.
The madam of an infamous brothel has to handle many types of difficult men, Coral Smythe reflected.

SEVEN NIGHTS OF SIN

As the madam of Aphrodite’s Grotto, the most infamous brothel in London, Coral Smythe knows everything possible about men’s needs and desires. Yet she’s never experienced the love of a single man—not even that of Captain Isaac Wargate whose hawk-like eyes stare at her with both condemnation…and lust.

SEVEN NIGHTS OF ECSTASY

SEVEN NIGHTS OF LOVE

Now the puritanical navy captain has just seven nights to learn everything he can about the mysterious madam and what she knows of a man’s desires. But when Coral is threatened by the new owner of Aphrodite’s Grotto, will Wargate take a chance on the woman beneath the mask…and on love?

Elizabeth Hoyt is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,734,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible