Midnight Confessions by Candice Proctor

Midnight Confessions

by Candice Proctor

Great setting, Civil War-era New Orleans, but the heroine kept SO MANY secrets from the hero that after awhile it stopped contributing to the tension and started being just a tease. I will read more of Candice Proctor, though. It looks like she enjoys writing about some fairly unusual locales. ( )
  MelissaZD | Jan 1, 2014 |
A gripping, suspenseful tale set during the Civil War in occupied New Orleans, Midnight Confessions is dark and haunting, and not a little creepy - though I'm a big coward, so don't take my word for it on the last bit. Still, I really enjoyed this book. I usually don't go for murder mysteries, but I'm set on reading everything by Candice Proctor so I couldn't turn this one down. If you approach the book more as a mystery than a romance, I think your chances of enjoying Midnight Confessions increase considerably. I still loved the romance part - and Zach Cooper and Emmanuelle de Beauvais are a couple of fascinating, strong characters - but their developing relationship and almost every conversation is entirely determined by the plot, the series of murders that confound and terrorize them. In this sense, the romance was a tad overwhelmed by the suspense plot. Apart from the hero and heroine, the city of New Orleans is as much a character in its own right here, and I think that's why I enjoyed reading Midnight Confessions. No one creates atmosphere like Proctor, and the dangerous, beautiful city comes so alive here. It practically breathes mystery and passion, violence, dark secrets, death and love.

I really couldn't say whether the mystery itself was that well crafted or skillfully executed because that's not really my bag, baby, and I think in cases like these I'm easily satisfied. Though I will say that, while I liked all the different elements, characters, and intersecting relationships that were set into play to create the mystery, how they all fell into place, and the denouement was a let down. Things that were supposed to be the big, scandalous, twisted mystery, had been apparent/obvious all along, leaving me to feel that something didn't go quite right with the story being told, the puzzle that was constructed. But still, I really liked Zach and Emmanuelle together, especially the surprising fact that he's younger than her. This was an engrossing read for me, despite my qualms. ( )
  theshadowknows | Feb 13, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345447174, Mass Market Paperback)

With a gift for creating lush, evocative settings that instantly transport the reader to intoxicating places, Candice Proctor now turns her remarkable talents to the dazzling splendor of old New Orleans, where the air is fragrant with mock orange and sweet olive–and danger wafts on the gentle southern breeze. . . .

Widow Emmanuelle de Beauvais devotes herself tirelessly to the sick and injured of a grand city now occupied by the enemy. Then a night of unspeakable terror puts Emmanuelle at the center of a murder investigation and under the watchful eye of Yankee provost marshal Zachary Cooper. Although she despises the uniform and the war it represents, she finds the man who wears it impossible to resist.

Zach Cooper has never been bewitched by a woman. Even as Emmanuelle veils every truth with layers of lies, he finds himself undeniably drawn to her. Torn between passion and duty, Zach must uncover the dark secrets surrounding a series of murders that threaten to ensnare Emmanuelle in their menacing web. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:34 -0400)

A Southern widow dedicated to caring for the sick and wounded in a city occupied by the Union Army, Emmanuelle de Saint-Colombe finds her life and her heart is in the hands of a Yankee lawman after she is implicated in a local murder.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,922,991 books! | Top bar: Always visible