Beyond the Rules by Doranna Durgin
3810426,589 (4)1

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I loved operative, Kimmer Reed in this fast-paced thriller.

Kimmer left her abusive family (her father and 4 brothers) as soon as she was old enough, hoping to never see them again. So when her brother, Hank, showed up many years later, asking for her help, she wanted to tell him to get lost. But after hearing his story about witnessing a murder and that the men responsible were after him, she couldn’t turn him away because she was worried they would go after her nieces if she didn’t help Hank get out of this mess. When the men following Hank ended up on Kimmer’s doorstep, her boyfriend, Rio, an ex-CIA agent, helped her. They handled it along with the Hunter team, without causing too much trouble for the Agency along the way.

After her horrible childhood, Kimmer didn’t want anything to do with her family. She didn’t want to let anyone get close to her and couldn’t imagine a happy forever life with Rio. On the other hand, Rio came from a very close family. He was concerned that Kimmer wouldn’t agree to stay with him or to trust they could have a good life together.

Kimmer Reed was an amazingly competent, badass operative for the Hunter Agency. After surviving her abusive family, she worked hard to be the best she could be but believed she had to do it alone.

This action-packed family drama showed how far someone would go to do the right thing. Even if it means going against family. I am happy to have received Beyond the Rules after requesting it to review. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy romantic suspense. ( )
  JoAB | Aug 28, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Not a bad read, but it would not be my normal reading choice.

This is a romantic thriller - Kimmer Reed has escaped from her abusive family and ended up joining the Hunter Agency as an undercover operative. Here she meets Rio Carlsen and falls in love. But her family comes back into her life - in the person of her brother Hank.

It's similar in style to the Ilona Andrews Hidden Legacy series (gun-toting competent heroine working for a private security agency), but without the paranormal aspects to that series, and seems to be more of a straight-forward romance. Well-written, but not my first choice of reading material.
  Maddz | May 26, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this as an ebook through Early Reviewers. Like the other books I've read by Doranna Durgin, this features likeable, interesting characters. Part of the Wild Hearts collection, it is an action-adventure-mystery rather than Durgin's more typical fantasy. This is the second book of the Hunter Agency series featuring Kimmer Reed and Rio Carlsen. You don't need to have read others to pick up what is going on, but it follows the story in Exception to the Rules. In this book Kimmer and Rio's relationship is developing. Kimmer's estranged brother shows up and brings trouble with him. Rio, who has a very close family, can't understand Kimmer's reluctance to get involved with anything to do with her brother. Quick, fun read, lots of action, and kept me invested in the characters right to the finish.
  NorthernStar | Apr 17, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this as part of the Early Reviewers program.

I enjoyed this book. The writing was well done, the characters were nicely rounded and both the hero (Kimmer) and her lover (Rio) had complex motivations, back stories, and emotions, and both grew during the story as they faced inner and outer issues. Nothing can drain you or render you hopeless as family, and nothing can be better than learning to know that you count on your new family. The story, which centers around how a member of Kimmel's family which she had thought she had left behind (for very good reasons) drags her into a situation which can now destroy everything she has worked to build - a career as an agent for the Hunter Agency, a home, and a budding love. The action is tense, the pace is fast, and the conclusion very satisfying. I have not read any of Doranna Durgin's previous works in this series but I think I may go back and do so. ( )
  Wazeau | Mar 27, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
*Note: I received this book in exchange for an honest review.*

Wow. I've never read any books by Doranna Durgin before, but I think I'll pay closer attention to her books! It's loaded with action, so naturally, it can be classified as a thriller/fast-paced novel. It does contain some language, but this has been somewhat cleaner than most books of this genre.

Kimmer Reed is a young woman with no close ties to her family. She had an unpleasant childhood that steeled her into a strong determined young lady who no longer takes guff from anyone. The past stays in the past, until her brother pops up, bringing with him nothing but trouble. And thus the adventure begins... ( )
  caslater83 | Mar 24, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Doranna Durgin's book Beyond the Rules is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,209,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible