Why Should I Recycle? by Jen Green

Why Should I Recycle? (2002)

by Jen Green

Other authors: Mike Gordon (Illustrator)

Series: Why Should I ... [Barrons Educational]

3991626,786 (4)2

I liked this informational book because of the first person point of view, the illustrations and because it helps the readers think about the importance of recycling. I enjoyed hearing the story from the main character’s point of view because readers are able to relate to it. For example, she asks what recycling is and why we should recycle. Many readers may have the same questions and they are answered throughout the story. I also liked the illustrations because I was able to get an idea of what a recycling center and landfill look like. I was able to see the various areas that the different materials belong in at a recycling center. On page 21, I had a visual image of what a landfill was like as the main character is there with flies around her as she is holding her nose. This shows the reader how smelly and gross landfills are. This book is very informative to readers as it explains why we should recycle, what can be recycled, and how we can individually do more to help the environment like buying recycled products or reusing bags.
The message of this book is to recycle and reuse items as much as possible. Although we may see things as trash after we finish using them, they can usually be recycled or used again. It is important that we consider our environment when making decisions about waste so we limit the amount of space we take up at landfills and keep our Earth as clean as we can. ( )
  MaddieBurfeind | Mar 22, 2018 |
A teacher tries to show his students the values of recycling. At first they're like everyone, "hmm" why, but then they soon see the great benefits it has for everyone and everything around them. he shows them how to love, serve, protect, and nurture nature.
Age: 4-8
Source: Google Books
  JsMom18 | Mar 15, 2018 |
This is a delightful story about a class learning how to recycle by their teacher Mr. Jones. He explains to the children what happens to garbage and what happens to recycled material allowing the children to make a change in their households. He does this by taking the to a recycling center so that they can have visual representation and obtain more information.
  kjordaan16 | Mar 3, 2018 |
Summary:
This book shows the importance of recycling. It tells of its benefits and the rewards that can come from recycling. This book also tells of the best materials that can be recycled and how to do so.

Personal Reaction:
I like this book. It's a fun way to make students aware of recycling as well as get them interested in it.

Classroom Extension:
1. Use this book to start a class challenge. Boys against girls, have the students bring their empty plastic bottles to school to collect to recycle. Give the winning group a surprise. ( )
  Bethanyhines | Dec 4, 2017 |
This is a book about Ms. Jones class who goes on a field trip to a recycling plant where children learn how things a separated for recycling. Children are taught the importance of separating trash from recyclables and how to separate the plastic, papers, and metals and why it is good for the environment and to reduce waste.

Reaction: This was enjoyable and the information was presented in a way that children could understand.

Extension: A good way to extend this to the class room could be to read during or around Earth Day and to have recycle bins in the classroom. It could be beneficial to start the habit early on for the younger kids. ( )
  jg193622 | Dec 3, 2017 |

Jen Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gordon, MikeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
In my family, we recycle our garbage.

What if everybody threw away old bottles and newspapers, littering the world with glass and plastic and tin cans that should be recycled and made into new products? Mr. Jones is a teacher who sets a good example for kids by separating his trash for recycling. When he takes them on a class trip to a recycling plant they learn the value of recycling. Part of every child's development involves asking questions. Today, some of the most important questions kids ask are related to the natural environment. The enlightening and entertaining four-book Why Should I? series demonstrates the importance of protecting nature. Books present brief, entertaining stories that answer children's questions and feature amusing color illustrations on every page. A note at the back of each book is for parents and teachers, suggesting ways to use these books most effectively.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:28 -0400)

With amusing pictures and simple text, this book shows the importance of recycling things we used to throw away, such as bottles, paper and plastic.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,247,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible