Home Comforts: The Art and Science of…

Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House (1999)

by Cheryl Mendelson

What a cool idea for a book. Part practical advice, part philosophy. I loved it! ( )
  anitatally | Feb 28, 2019 |
Never had a reference book I've used so often. ( )
  afinch11 | Aug 9, 2013 |
I liked the introduction to this book and the general idea, but I felt that the content switched between common sense and stuff I'd never do and thus wasn't that helpful to me. It is very thorough though and if you're new to housework, it might have much valuable information. ( )
  navelos | Mar 1, 2011 |
A fantastic reference that goes far beyond dry lists and praises for baking soda. Mendelson's detailed advice on nearly every aspect of house-keeping is comforting to read and makes the tedious seem enjoyable.We intend to buy this book (rather than keep the library copy ;-) ( )
2 vote dogrover | Aug 24, 2010 |
This volumptuous tome is a House wives' haven when it comes to running an effective, successful home. It is well-written and illustrated and gives you valueable advice on how to run virtuously every aspect of housekeeping. This was by far the best book I've ever purchased on the topic. Very thourough and informative.
  TheGoldenPen | Jan 21, 2010 |

Cheryl Mendelsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bates, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Edward, who made a home with me
I am a working woman with a secret life: I keep house.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 068481465X, Hardcover)

Virtually everyone enjoys a crisply ironed dress shirt, clean sheets on a well-made bed, and a savory home-cooked meal. Yet housekeeping today stands as a somewhat neglected, if not maligned, job. But as author Cheryl Mendelson points out in Home Comforts, keeping house well can be a rewarding position--it allows you to provide for the physical and emotional comfort of loved ones. It's also not an easy job--there's much to be learned about properly managing a home, and Mendelson has set out to provide a guide to doing just that.

Mendelson, a homemaker, lawyer, and mother, learned about housekeeping from an early age from her grandmothers, one Appalachian, the other Italian. The two grandmothers taught her that although different ways of keeping house can be appropriate, there are generally smarter, faster, and more creative ways of housekeeping that make it less of a chore and more of an art. In a practical, authoritative tone, Mendelson discusses the ins and outs of homemaking, such as washing dishes, recommended cleaning methods for various surfaces, housekeeping for those with pets or allergies, and emergency preparedness and safety procedures.

Mendelson's well-researched book includes meticulous sections on food (for example, which foods belong in the fridge versus the pantry, food storage times, picking the freshest fruits and vegetables, and keeping your kitchen and food sanitary) as well as laundry (caring for various fabrics, how to read--and read between the lines of--clothing care labels, and removing stains). Mendelson covers a lot of ground, and as she herself points out, readers shouldn't feel required to do everything mentioned in the book--simply pick the activities that seem appropriate for your particular home. This is a comprehensive reference book that should serve homemakers well and induce a greater appreciation for the effort and specialized knowledge that go into keeping house. --Kris Law

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:36 -0400)

Ranging from suggestions for the care of musical instruments to maintaining home safety, a celebration of and guide to the finer points of home-keeping offers a contemporary, creative, and positive take on a traditional subject

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,741,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible