Masques by Patricia Briggs

Masques

by Patricia Briggs

Series: Sianim (1), Aralorn (1)

A fairy tale. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
I'm rerating the book since now I have read both versions and even though I read the first one when it came out and have not reread it since the revised edition I think held up pretty well to my memory of the storyline. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
This is a mildly revised version of Briggs' first book and was republished when she wrote a sequel many years later, after her urban fantasy books became very popular. After reading her introduction where she explained how this edition came to be, I decided to read uncritically and go with the flow. Thus I was able to enjoy the adventure and the characters of Aralorn and Wolf and I have already put a hold on Wolfsbane.

While I'm sure that the novel has its faults, it was pretty good for a first effort and better than a lot of first books I've come across. Fans of Briggs work, especially her non-urban fantasy might want to look for it.
  hailelib | Apr 21, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Aralorn, a short, plain, and outspoken young lady who always hated to “sit and sew” in her father’s court, works as a mercenary and spy. She’s not particularly good with the sword (the staff is her weapon of choice), but her shapeshifting ability is a pretty useful skill. She’s sometimes aided by the wolf she saved a few years ago. He comes and goes and Aralorn knows that he’s more than he seems. When the evil mage Jeffrey starts planning world domination, Aralorn and Wolf plan to stop him.

Masques kept me entertained for 9 hours and 48 minutes (I listened to Brilliance Audio’s version). Though there’s nothing new in Patricia Briggs’ debut novel, and not much that surprised or inspired me, it was pleasantly diverting. Masques is definitely predictable in places and it relies on a few too many convenient occurrences as well as several too-common fantasy elements, but Aralorn and Wolf are likable and well-developed. I’m not exactly attached to them, but I’d enjoy hearing more of their story in the sequel, Wolfsbane.

For me, one of the most interesting parts of Masques was the introduction by Patricia Briggs. She describes the history of the book (she started it in college), how she wrote it before she knew anything about writing, how she was shocked that it sold, and how poorly it did. It went out of print, but started selling for hundreds of dollars on the used market after she became successful with her other novels, including the very popular Mercy Thompson series. (I remember seeing those astounding prices for Masques when I constructed this page 3 years ago!). When Ace decided to publish Wolfsbane (out next week), they decided to reprint Masques (ha ha to all you folks who paid $250!) and invited Ms. Briggs to revise her debut novel. When she sat down to work on the first chapter, she was “squirming uncomfortably all the way through.” She makes it clear that she’s not completely enamored with her first effort, but that if she changed it to how she’d write it today, it would no longer be Masques. Thus, she polished it up a bit but left it mostly the same.

This audiobook was read by Katherine Kellgren who I admired when she read Tobias Buckell’s The Executioness. She has a pleasant enthusiastic voice and speaks at a nice quick pace. I especially like her female voices because they’re not too high-pitched. I didn’t care too much for her voice for Wolf, though. His voice is supposed to be rough, so I think that’s what she was going for, but it just sounded old to me. However, this issue is not enough to keep me from listening to Wolfsbane.

Masques is a must-read for Patricia Briggs fans — they’ll definitely be interested in this debut novel. It’s a fun story and makes a nice bit of history. ( )
1 vote Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
First of all if you are New to Patricia Briggs Do Not Start With This Book! Read either the Mercy Thompson or Alpha & Omega series these are both fantastic and should be your introduction to Briggs.

There is an introduction to this by the author who says that she wrote this book when she was a teen did a rewrite and this was her first book long since out of print, then after she started selling with the Mercy Thompson and the Alpha & Omega series they talked her into re-releasing this book she decided not to change much of it and hoped fans would still enjoy it. Well I did BUT it is no Mercy Thompson!

The story was good but the writing didn’t flow as well as her later books and the story didn’t grab me immediately and not let go like her newer books do. I will read the next in the series because I already own it but I know that there are 2 series Sianim, #1 / Aralorn, #1 and I’m not sure if I should read the Sianim 2 &3 before I read #2 in the Aralorn because it is #4 in Sianim which is a little confusing so will have to do some research as which way I should read them. I did enjoy the characters of Aralorn & Wolf and look forward to more from them.

Katherine Kellgren was the narrator and of course you can’t go wrong with her narrations however it was odd to hear her with an American accent, she does do it so very well but almost every book I’ve listened to she has a British accent but as always all of her accents and characters are very distinct and well done!

This isn’t a bad book, it just doesn’t live up to her newer works.

3 stars ( )
  susiesharp | Feb 19, 2014 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
DeFex, Annette FioreCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Delon, MelanieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Enzweiler, MichaelMapsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The 2010 edition is a revision of the original 1993 publication.  This revision was done before the publication of a sequel, as noted in the author's introduction in the 2010 edition.

"After an upbringing of proper behaviour and oppressive expectations, Aralorn fled her noble birthright for a life of adventure as a mercenary spy. But her latest mission involves more peril that she ever imagined. Agents of Stanim have asked her to gather intelligence on the increasingly popular and powerful sorcerer Geoffrey ae'Magi. Soon Aralorn comes to see past the man's striking charisma--and into a soul as corrup and black as endless night. And few have the will to resist the sinister might of the ae'Magi and his minions. So Aralorn, aided by her engimatic companion, Wolf, joins the rebellion against the ae'Magi. But in a war against a foe armed with the power of illusion, how do you know who the true enemy is--or where he will strike next?"--Cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,386,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible