Hidden Fires by Katharine Eliska Kimbriel

I wrote it, so I won't review it. But I still like it. They can be read out of order, but if you want to start at the beginning of the Nualan timeline, this is book #2.
  Alfreda89 | Sep 5, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
"Hidden Fires" was a very difficult for me to get into as I'm not used to reading these kinds of books though I do like to expose myself to different writing so I can become an all around reading. Howeverk, I do think the author had great writing skills, and the content of the book was good for those that are interested in this type.
  pamelareadz | Jul 13, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Hidden Fires is a good attempt at portraying possible future of mankind and the relationships in times such as those, although it loses the reader in enough places to feel frustration. In some instances you have to go through the passages again, that you read earlier, to find some semblance of understanding.
Apart from this, the narrative is strong and if you overcome the momentary set back of a not-so-clear-idea thrown at you now and then, you would actually enjoy the tale of an emotionally hurt son trying to find justice for the parents he never really knew and who, in this course, unintentionally wipes out the biggest threat to peace and harmony among all and finds happiness for himself too.
I would recommend reading the last page keys to the jargon used in the book, before reading the book to avoid dissatisfaction. I wish I had read the first book of the series, it would have made this book a very interesting read. ( )
  Hosban | Sep 3, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is the second book I've read in the series - I previously read and reviewed Fires of Nuala, and found it a bit hard to get into. Perhaps since I was already familiar with the setting and some of the characters, it was easier for me to get into this one. Again, I found it an enjoyable read. I'll admit, I'm not one to read at a very deep level - I don't analyze things with a fine-toothed comb. I read for entertainment, and I like a book where the characters are interesting and appealing (whether they appeal to me to love or hate them), the story holds my interest, and there aren't a lot of loose ends left hanging when I'm done. This book satisfied all of those criteria for me. I enjoyed it, and would love to read more by this author. ( )
  bunkie68 | Jul 11, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had a really hard time getting interested in this book because of the fact that I had not read the rest of the series.

It was an ok read, will probably attempt again in future if I enjoy the first book in the series... ( )
  tanyaj101 | Jun 30, 2011 |
For my parents, and grandparents with love:

Katharine Layman Schell Kimbriel
Who taught me patience

William Donald Kimbriel
Who has taught me prudence

Frances Eliska Stricklin Kimbriel
Who taught me graciousness

Harry Augustus Kimbriel
who taught me generosity

Mary Katharine Turman Schell
who taught me honesty

James Layman Schell
Who taught me endurance
He had spent a hundred years seeking the woman called Silver; he still didn't know if he was going to kill her.

Nuala ... planet of deadly radiation levels, humans who heal by touch, and the rarest platinum group metal in the known galaxy. Tribal leaders "Silver" Darame and her husband Sheel Atare have brought an uneasy peace to a world racked by sterility, intrigue, and unimaginable wealth. But two con artists ripe for mischief (and maybe murder) tangle with two misplaced quests, and political intrigue explodes into a conspiracy of death, treason, and abduction.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Katharine Eliska Kimbriel's book Hidden Fires was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,935,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible