The HICCUPotamus by Aaron Zenz

The HICCUPotamus

by Aaron Zenz

This story is a goofy and fun read aloud that using made up rhymes to combine words into more poetic lines. I think this story would work best as a read aloud because it has a great plot and students would love all the funny words and bright and colorful pictures. One thing that I may be concerned about with this book is students seeing the authors inventive words and thinking they are real or correctly spelled.

Genre: fantasy

Uses:
-read aloud
-classroom library
  asukonik | Nov 15, 2016 |
Too silly for words, but hard to dislike this story of a hiccuping hippo and his effect on the other animals. Impossible rhymes--but when you do it consistently, it somehow succeeds. I suspect the author is good at reading this one aloud. ( )
  datrappert | Oct 7, 2016 |
This vibrant children's picture book is full of comedy and humor, as it follows a silly hippopotamus that has a serious case of the hiccups. With rhyming text and beautiful illustrations done in colored pencil; this book is sure to be a hit with children of all ages. This adorable story will keep you laughing all the way to the end. ( )
  Shannon_373 | Apr 1, 2016 |
Young Reader Reaction: "This is so funny ... Look at those silly words." It was an instant hit and resulted in 30 minutes of "hiccuping" just for the fun of it!

Adult Reader Reaction: This is so silly and so fun. As my daughter read, I kept thinking about what a great read aloud this would be at story time or with a group of toddlers and preschoolers. Had my 8-year-old discovered this then, we would have been reading it hundreds of times.

Pros: Great, action-filled illustrations and made-up words will have everyone hiccuping with laughter.

Read our full review and add yours at The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | Jul 13, 2015 |
Young Reader Reaction: Both children loved listening to this book read aloud. They thought the rhymes and the reader's hiccuping was hilarious. The kids asked to read this one again (several times!).

Adult Reader Reaction: I think this book is cute and funny. It is not my favorite book to read because the fake hiccuping makes me cough but the kids love it so it is worth it. I understood why they enjoyed Hiccupotamus.

Read our full review and add yours at The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | Jul 13, 2015 |
There was a hippopotamus who hiccupped quite-a-lotamus.

A hippopotamus with severe hiccups causes chaos until other creatures finally find the right cure.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,679,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible